I guess I need a break from the sweets...cupcakes, fondant, rich chocolate cake and chocolate layer bread! I'm already seeing stars with all that sugar rush, haha! So today I decided to make something savory, crispy scallion pancakes! I have been wanting to try out this recipe, especially since my elder daughter likes scallions(a little unusual but I guess it's better then unhealthy food). I happen to have this recipe from my cookbook and immediately got to work. The ingredients are way simple, I'm sure you have it right there in your kitchen too. ;)
Ingredients for crispy scallion(green onion) pancake:
300g all purpose flour
150ml club soda / plain carbonated water
45ml to 50ml ice cold water
1/4 tsp salt
1 small bunch of scallions, cut small
Some ground black pepper
Some salt for taste
- In a large mixing bowl, add flour and salt. Make a well in the center and add the carbonated water and mix well.
- Add ice water into the mixture and knead together to form soft dough.
- Place on working table and knead for 10 minutes still it's smooth and not sticky.
- Place in oiled bowl and cover to rest for 30 minutes.
- Divide the dough into 8 equal portions. Roll out one dough piece, scatter some chopped scallions, pinch of salt and some ground black pepper.
- Roll up the dough into a long thin log, as shown below in picture A:
- Then roll the log into a swiss roll form like in picture B below. Roll it flat again into a flat pancake form.
- Heat about 1/4 cup of frying oil in the pan and add the pancake in in medium heat.
- Fry till it's crispy golden brown, about 2 minutes each side. Serve when still hot.
But be sure to consume it fast and as it will become a little chewy...like most of these dough pancakes end up to be. Anyway, try it out, cook some curry to go with it and you'll have a delicious dinner! ;) Cheers!