Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Lotus Seed Paste Flower Buns

If you are wondering what is Lotus Seed Paste (莲蓉). It's a sweet paste (like red bean paste) which is of course made from lotus seed itself. This sweet filling is usually used in mooncake or other popular Chinese deserts. It is also my husband's favorite filling. :) Although I do not really fancy it that much, I was really thrilled when I found it selling in a major grocery store the other day. I did not hesitate to buy it as it dawns on me that it would be rather troublesome to make it from scratch!

No no, I am not gonna make mooncake, it's still long way to Mid-Autumn Festival. So why not just do something simple, Lotus Seed Paste Buns! I browse through my bread recipe book and found one bread recipe that uses red bean paste as a filling, so I can just swap the filling. Even my fellow blogger Kitchen Corner has attempted this recipe before, should be "doable". ;) Furthermore the flower shape of the buns are just to pretty to pass!
I gave the lotus seed paste I bought a taste test before baking these bread and found it pleasantly mild, not too oily and not too sweet (which means I can put more filling in the buns). Anyway I realize that Kitchen Corner's recipe is slightly different from the recipe book, so I will post out the recipe on my blog for reference sake in the future. :)

Ingredients for Lotus Seed Paste Flower Buns:
Set A:
200g Bread flour
20g cake flour
25g caster sugar

1/4 tsp salt
3g / 3/4 tsp instant active yeast
15g milk powder
25g egg
115ml water
Set B:
15g unsalted butter, room temperature

Topping for bread:
20g white sesame seeds

Method:
  • Mix all ingredients is Set A in a large mixing bowl to form a soft dough. Knead the dough till it is not sticky, about 15 minutes.
  • Add the Set B unsalted butter in and continue to knead till the dough is shiny and elastic. To test if the dough is ready, pull a small piece off and stretching it with your fingers. If dough is very elastic and pulls to almost see through without breaking, then it's done.
  • Place dough in a greased bowl and cover with plastic wrap and allow to proof for at least 60 minutes.
  • After proofing, punch out air and divide the dough into 8 equal portions. Roll each dough into balls and let rest for 15 minutes before molding.
  • Roll out the dough with the rolling pin into a flat disc and place about 1 tbsp of filling or more if preferred in the center. Seal tightly and press the dough into about 1" flat with the palm of your hands and place on baking tray.
  • Using a kitchen sears and cut 8 small slits on the edge of the dough to create the flower pedals effect.
  • Preheat oven to 180°C.
  • Let proof for 15 minutes and brush surface with egg wash. Sprinkle some white sesame on top of the bread.
  • Bake in the oven for 15 minutes or till the surface is golden brown. Remove from tray immediately when done.
Biting into the soft buns with the sweet fragrant lotus seed paste filling is really satisfying!
A shot of the lotus paste filling. Now this is done...I really need to think of what other recipes I can make with the rest of the lotus seed paste, haha! Yes, mooncakes...but any other ideas?

7 comments:

Elyse said...

Mmm, these buns look delicious! I can't wait to try lotus seed paste. Sounds totally yummy!

Honey Bee Sweets said...

Yes it is. I'm sure you can find it in Chinese pastry store in Bay area.

Florence said...

HBS,
The buns are really nicely done!
Lotus paste...make mooncakes then.

Honey Bee Sweets said...

Hi Florence,
Haha, that's what I'm trying to avoid making. ;) But thanks for suggesting.

janice said...

try to make paos...(chinese paos)

Honey Bee Sweets said...

Hi Janice,

Are you suggesting that I make some paos? Or are you saying you made some paos? I did make some Egg Custard Paos before if you have looked through my posts. Have not got to make meat paos yet. :)

janice said...

hi,
ya.. i'm suggesting! u can try to make lotus paos!