Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Mango Cranberry Cream Loaf

If you happen to read my earlier post, I just got back from Cameron Highland. There were a bunch of things need to attend to. But when I see that there was no more bread for breakfast, I got to work immediately, haha. And seeing the mangoes in my fridge getting all ripe, gave me an idea of making a brand new bread recipe. Yes, this recipe is created by yours truly, so do try at your own "risk", haha. Well, I figured since I've made so many loafs of bread now, why not try coming up with my own bread recipe, it's not that hard really. Luckily, the loaf came out great, even though it's not the prettiest looking loaf, it still taste good!
Bare in mind that I did not add any food coloring to my dough, the yellow comes all natural from the mango itself.

Ingredients for Mango Cranberry Cream Loaf:
250g bread flour
50g cake flour
200ml fresh mango puree
50ml fresh whipping cream

40g caster sugar
3g instant active yeast

1/2 tsp of mango essence
20g unsalted butter, room temperature

1 cup dried cranberries


Method:
  • Mix all ingredients except butter and cranberries in a large mixing bowl to form a soft dough. Knead the dough till it is not sticky, about 20 minutes.
  • Add the unsalted butter in and continue to knead till the dough is shiny and elastic. To test if the dough is ready, pull a small piece off and stretching it with your fingers. If dough is very elastic and pulls to almost see through without breaking, then it's done.
  • At this point, if using cranberries, mix it in till it's evenly incorporated.
  • Place dough in a greased bowl and cover with plastic wrap and allow to proof for at least 90 minutes.
  • Punch out the air in the dough and divide it into 3 equal portions.
  • Roll out each portion into a long flat oval shape and roll up one end to make it into a swiss roll form. Place in greased bread tin (8" by 5").
  • Repeat with the other 2 dough portions and let proof for another 60 minutes or it rises to 90% of the tin.
  • Preheat oven to 180°C.
  • Brush loaf top with egg wash and bake in the oven for 30 to 35 minutes. If top browns too quickly, cover with foil till baking time is complete.
  • Remove from bread tin immediately when done and cool on rack completely before slicing. Enjoy!
Cream was added to the recipe to reduce the acidity from the mango and it went really well! And the best part is I can say this is a vegetarian bread loaf, meaning no eggs was added! Cool right. ;) The scent of mango is pretty distinct in the loaf and the cranberries' sweet and tangy taste goes well with it too! The bread taste good on it's own, really soft by the way. But I think with a spread of cold butter will be even better!.Give it a try and let me know how you like this recipe!

6 comments:

Kitchen Corner said...

wow, you could write your own recipe! You're great!

Honey Bee Sweets said...

Hey Grace!
How are you? You've MIA for so long? Miss your posts leh...hope everything is well. ;) Do keep me posted of what you're up to lately ok. ;) Take care!

Art of Eating said...

Wow ! the texture of the bread looks good. It sure looks tempting.

Honey Bee Sweets said...

Hi Art of Eating,

Glad that you like what you see! Try making it yourself, I'm sure you'll like the taste too. ;)

ReeseKitchen said...

Hi, tis bread is great! My girl ate up half of the portion i took, i think i shd try tis out as soon as possible :)

Honey Bee Sweets said...

Hi ReeseKitchen,

So happy that your girl likes it. Let me know how yours turn out. ;) I'll make some more yummy bread for you both to try again next time.