Since I am getting quite a number of requests for both the Bacon Onion Multigrain Fried rice & All Beef Scotch eggs recipes, I decided to just post it up here. And since this is again unplanned, I won't be able to post up any step by step photo, all will be in words. :P
This menu was made ahead for my kid to pack to school. I figured something more substantial since the kid always has late lunch and this meal will last her all the way to 7pm. Anyway, do let me know if you have any questions about the recipe.
Recipe for Bacon Onion Multigrain Fried Rice (Serves 2-3)
1.5 cups multigrain rice cooked and cooled (preferably overnight)
4 strips bacon
1 large onion, peeled and finely chopped
2 garlic cloves, peeled and minced
1/2 tsp chicken powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp sugar
- On a heated pan (no oil please), add the strip of bacon and cook till golden and crisp up. Drain on paper towels and let cool. Once cooled, cut into small bit using kitchen scissors or knife.
- Drain away half of the bacon fat. In the same pan over medium low fire, add in the chopped onions and cook till slightly soften and translucent.
- Add minced garlic and continue to cook till fragrant.
- Next add the cooked multigrain rice and seasoning, stir to toss the rice to mix with the onion.
- Just before dishing up, toss in the bacon bits and toss well to mix. Set aside for now.
Recipe for All Beef Scotch Eggs (Makes 3 or 4, depends on egg size)
3 large eggs, washed
200 g ground beef meat
1 medium onion, peeled and chopped
1 tsp soy sauce
1 tsp mirin
1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
1/2 tsp sea salt
1/2 tsp sugar
1/2 hondashi powder (hondashi is smoked and dried fish called the Bonito)
1 tsp corn flour
1 tbsp water
2 tbsp plain flour
1 cup cooking oil for frying
- In preheated pan, add 1 tbsp cooking oil over medium low fire. Next add in the onion and cook till slightly soften. Add in the soy sauce and mirin, continue to cook till soften and light brown.
- Dish up the onion mixture and let cool.
- In a mixing bowl, add in all the seasoning and the cooled onion mixture. Use your hand to mix in everything. Then let it marinate for a good 30 mins before use.
- In the meantime, boil the egg. In a pot of rolling boil water, add the 3 eggs carefully in. Cook for 5 mins and 30 seconds and quickly dish out and place in ice water to stop the cooking.
- Once the eggs has cooled, peel the eggs shells away.
- Divide the marinated beef into 3 equal portions and wrap it carefully around the cooked eggs. Pan nicely so it is evenly shaped.
- Preheat some frying oil in a pan over medium fire. Dust some plain flour on the beef eggs and gently lower it into the frying oil. Repeat till all 3 eggs are cooking in the oil.
- Turn the eggs so that it is cooked evenly on both sides. Shouldn't take more then 6-7 mins. Remove the eggs and drain on paper towels.
- Serve Scotch eggs with bacon onion rice, enjoy!
Happy cooking everyone!