1 big Chicken drum (including thigh)
120g of yam, peeled and sliced to 0.5inch thick
2 tbsp of dried shrimp, soaked and minced
2 slices of ham, dice small (or bacon, but need to reduce the salt when seasoning)
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 small shallot, minded
3 tbsp of fresh milk
1 tsp of cornflour
Salt, pepper and sugar to taste
- Steam the sliced yam for 10 minutes until it's cooked and mash easily with a fork.
- Heat up some oil in a wok at medium heat and stir fry the garlic and shallot until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add the minced dried shrimp and diced ham, stir fry for another 2 minutes and remove from wok and set aside.
- Add the stir fried ham and dried shrimp mixture to the mashed yam and 3 tbsp of milk . Also add 3/4 tsp salt, a dash of pepper and 1/2 tsp of sugar and mix well.
- De-bone the chicken drumstick leaving only only the tip (it's ankle), for easy handling.
- The drumstick should look like below. Season the chicken with 1/4 tsp of salt.
- Pat the yam mixture on to the drumstick on the meat side, not skin side. Sprinkle the cornflour over the yam surface for a crispier finish (see below). You can remove the chicken skin for healthier option, but I much prefer the crispy skin after frying it.
- Add enough frying oil in the wok to fry the chicken at medium low fire, so the yam does not burn before the chicken drumstick is cooked through. Fry for 8 to 10 minutes before flipping and fry for another 8 to 10 minutes until golden and crispy before removing from oil.