Thursday, June 11, 2015

Kinako Tofu Buns with Kinako Crumbles

I wonder if I will ever run out of ideas on what kind of bread flavors to bake. Bread flavors are really up to your creativity, depends how far you want to go in trying out new ingredients. Frankly speaking, the one I am posting today ain't that new actually. I am sure someone probably had try this before. It just came into me when I realise I have some silken tofu left in the fridge after I used part of it to make waffles the morning before. A beautiful accident I must say, because this is such an awesome bread, plus it is a Straight Dough method, meaning no pre dough needed, woohoo! Addition of Kinako (toasted soy bean powder) makes it really aromatic. Plus that Kinako crumble topping, so delish!

Straight dough breads for me usually doesn't stay soft long enough. But this my friend, it did me proud. It was still so fluffy on the 3rd day! Oh joys! Perhaps the addition of silken tofu has it's magic of keeping the bread moist and fluffy. :9

Ingredients for Kinako Tofu Buns with Kinako Crumbles
380g bread flour
35g Kinako powder
40g caster sugar
5g instant active yeast
3g salt
*150g silken tofu (I left it in the fridge overnight, so excess liquid were removed)
180ml water
15g unsalted butter, room temperature
  • In th mixing bowl, add in all the ingredients except the butter.
  • Knead it well till the dough comes together and pulls away from th side of the bowl. That will take about 10-12 minutes. You can stop the kneading for 2 to 3 minutes break in between. 
  • Add in the butter and continue to knead till it is very elastic and reaches the window panel.
  • Leave dough in a greased bowl, covered and let proof till it doubles in size or for 1hr.
  • After 1 hour, grease a 8" by 8" square baking pan. Preheat oven to 175C. Then punch out the air in the dough. And weigh out 30 g portions of dough. 
  • You will have 25 of 30g dough portions and 2 portions of 35g left. You can use these 2 extra dough to make filled buns. Roll round the 25 dough balls and line them into the greased square pan, 5 X 5.

  • Let the dough proof well like shown in the photo above.


Kinako Crumble topping
30g Kinako Powder
30g plain flour
50g light brown sugar
50g unsalted butter, cold and cut into small cubes
  • To make the crumble, mix all the ingredients together till it resembles crumbs.
  • Sprinkle it over the top of the proofed dough.

  • Bake the buns in the preheated oven till golden brown or 25-28 minutes. Use a foil to cover the top if it is browning too fast.
  • Once baked, remove from the oven and let cool on the rack for 3 to 5 minutes. Then remove from the baking pan and cool completely  on the rack.


The smell of the kitchen was amazing~! I then realise I have so much self control haha! Holding back to peel off one bun and stuff it in my mouth. :P
The only down side was the crumbles not staying crunchy the following day even though it is still yummy. Bread texture was excellent though, staying soft and fluffy throughout the 3 days until I worry little mould will start growing on them haha!

And of course, this post will not be complete if I don't show you guys the fluffy interior. :9
A recipe that I am sure I will revisit again and again. Perhaps will make filled buns the next round. :)

Hope you guys will try and like this recipe!
Happy Baking y'all!



3 comments:

Zoe said...

Thank you so much for sharing this innovative recipe!!! I must bake these :D

Zoe

Angie's Recipes said...

How beautiful! I love the extra crumble topping!

Rumbling Tummy said...

This is going to take the cyberworld by storm.