Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Pandan & Pumkin Ang Ku Kuehs

Okay, when you read the title of this post, you might be picturing ang ku kuehs stuffed with pandan and pumpkin flavored fillings. In actual fact is I've made pandan and pumpkin flavored skin ang ku kuehs, stuffed with mung bean and peanuts. Personally I love this kueh whether it's mung bean or peanut, it has always been one of my top choices. So being able to learn how to make this delicious Nonya treat was a real blessing for me. My friend from ReeseKitchen has generously took the time to teach me, so I am really grateful to her! Thanks so much my friend! Apart from ReeseKitchen's Pumkin Ang Ju Kueh, I have also opt to try out Yochana's Pandan Ang ku kueh....just for variety sake. ;) I did made slight changes to the recipes to suit my liking and made use the best of both methods. However I will not post the recipes, so please kindly refer to the respective links for the original recipes if you are interested.
It's rather a long story as to why I have decided to make this kueh last weekend. Anyway, long story short, I needed to bring something to the food blogger's potluck party in Singapore last Sunday and I thought it'll be great to finally try it out and sharing it with my fellow bloggers. But I only brought the pandan flavored ones to the party since I made so many of those that day, haha!
I even used 2 different sizes of the kueh's plastic mold, big and small, which both turns out easy to use and wash up too. And since I was in Singapore and using my MIL's kitchen, after some observing (she loves ang ku kueh too!), she ended up helping me to mold the kuehs, haha. It was great to have her help me, else I might not be able to finish in time to go for the blogger's party!
I was lucky that the kuehs taste turn out good, the mung bean filling was flavorful enough to go with the soft chewy kueh skin. The peanut filling was pretty fragrant too, just sweet enough and also a nice combo with the skin, yummy! Turns out my younger daughter loved the peanut ones so much, she had 3 small ones at one go! Looks like I will have to make more peanut ones the next time round!
I had fun making these ang ku kuehs and hopefully I can improve my skill and make prettier ones in the future. Hope my blogger friends and family enjoy them as much too. Perhaps I can try out using different ingredients like yam or even sweet potato next time, that would be interesting! ;) Until next time....

7 comments:

Kitchen Corner said...

I must say your Ang Ku Kueh is really nice to eat. My husband and I love it. Thanks for sharing it and hope can try your other recipes next time. Cheers!

Honey Bee Sweets said...

Thanks Grace! It's great to finally meet you in person! Glad that u and your husband like the ang ku kueh...I like it too. ;) Love your chocolate cake and hot dog buns too! Yes, let's hope to meet up again soon...maybe in PJ also can? Haha!

Sweet Tooth said...

The Ku Kueh was very good. Too bad I only got to eat 3.
So try frying them, the crispy outside and soft skin inside will be fantastic.

Kitchen Corner said...

Ok sure, will contact you if I back to KL. Please visit me if you're in s'pore ok. Cheers!

ReeseKitchen said...

Omg!I also want to try the pandan ang-ku kueh....haha! Looks like u really really like it ha! No need to thanks me, u r great! Can't wait to bake with u again...hee hee!

Honey Bee Sweets said...

No worries Sweet Tooth, you know me, I will make more for you and xiao bao. ;)

Honey Bee Sweets said...

Sure Grace! Hope we can get to know each other better and exchange more baking experience with each other. ;) Just email me when u are back in KL.

Heehee, yeah ReeseKitchen, the pandan ones are really nice too. You know my family love the peanut filling alot, looks like I have to make more peanut filling the next time round! Bake together? Call me arr!