Friday, June 19, 2009

Labor of Love (Part 1)

Time really flies and my elder daughter is almost 6 years old now. I remember she was still a little baby learning how to crawl, to speak her first word and even learn how to wear her own shoes. Now she's half way through her kindergarten and soon she'll be starting her busy school life in lower primary. But I guess through my eyes, she'll still be my little baby girl...no matter how old she grows into. ;)

As like every year, I will make her a birthday cake of her choice. This year she has requested for Powerpuff girls theme. I was not surprise because she has been watching that cartoon during her free time lately and she likes the characters a lot. I figured it's not a bad idea too since these Powerpuff girls have pretty simple features, easy enough for me to bake up something for her cake, heehee. ;)

Ever since she started schooling, I have always prepare 2 separate birthday cakes for her, one for school and one for home celebration. This year I decided to make things easier for her classmates and teachers by making cupcakes. I was actually inspired by my friend Susan whom just started her home bakery business. She makes cupcakes by the order and she makes these delicious butter cupcakes (recipe from another dear friend of ours) with icing that are quite irresistible!. ;) So I decided to put my thinking cap on and got to work and finally after a full day of "labor", these are my results:
Besides the Powerpuff Girls' theme, I also made some extra cupcakes with assorted decorations just for the fun of it, or in case some of her classmates do not like Powerpuff. ;)
These cupcakes may look simple but they sure take up plenty of time to make! That includes the baking of the cake, preparing the butter cream, mixing the color, frosting and lastly piping and deco. But seeing my girl's glee and her classmates happy faces already pays off everything!
Overall, I was really pleased with the result and I hope all the little children and teachers enjoyed the cupcakes as well. Since I send all the cakes to the school, I did not have any left to take an inside of the cupcake...perhaps next time. Unfortunately I will not be posting the recipes online since I am using the same recipe as my friend's cupcakes. Interested to order from her? Leave a comment, I can always pass the word. ;)

If you are wondering why my post title has a part 1 to it, well you guessed it. The 2nd part will be the birthday cake for home celebration and I'm still in the midst of making it! Wish me luck and stay tune to my next post! ;)

6 comments:

Kitchen Corner said...

Very nicely decorated cupcakes. I wonder how long you need to draw on the cupcakes. It's quite difficult for me to it. I should say you really got the passion! Not only children like it, I'll like it too! Can't wait to see your next post. Enjoy your baking!

Honey Bee Sweets said...

Heehee, thanks for the encouragement Grace. ;) Actually it took me about 3 hrs to get all the deco in, including the mixing of the colors. I am sure you can do it too if you practice when you get the chance. ;)

Happy Homebaker said...

Nice cupcakes you have made! I won't be able to do it and I doubt I have the energy and patience. You are a great mum :D

Unknown said...

Wow! Love the Powerpuff ones! Very cute and I must say nicely done :)

Honey Bee Sweets said...

Hi Happy Homebaker,
Thanks for the compliment! I have seen the cakes you made for your family, they are super nice too! I guess every cake is just as nice so long there's our love for them. ;)

Honey Bee Sweets said...

Halo Ee Peng,
Heehee, I love the powerpuff girls ones too!(thick-skinned, haha!) I was kind of pressing for time towards the end so just simply make some simple designs for the rest, but guess what, most of the kids went for those!