Haha, the name of my post is really a mouthful. I guess the title says it all what kind of bread I made today. ;) Have been looking around for different variation of health bread recipes. And again falling back to whole wheat this time, since it's easier. And this recipe is indeed very easy to make, no egg, no starter dough and it is much easier to knead too.
In my precious whole wheat loaf recipe, it calls for honey as the sweetener. This time round, I have opt to try out this Natural Dark Muscovado unrefined dark brown sugar. And you know, choosing unrefined sugar is also a much healthier choice too, since unrefined raw sugar is made from the sugar cane plant juice and still contains traces of minerals and nutrients. Whereas refined sugar is devoid of all nutrients.
The following is my recipe:
Ingredients for Dark Brown Sugar Whole Wheat Raisin Loaf:
250g bread flour
125g whole wheat flour
60g Natural Dark Muscovado unrefined dark brown sugar (or any dark brown sugar)
4g instant active yeast
100ml fresh whipping cream
20g unsalted butter, room temperature
1/2 cup organic black seedless raisins (optional)
- Mix all ingredients except butter & raisins in a large mixing bowl to form a soft dough. Knead the dough till it is not sticky, about 15 to 20 minutes.
- Add the unsalted butter in and continue to knead till the dough is shiny and elastic. To test if the dough is ready, pull a small piece off and stretching it with your fingers. If dough is very elastic and pulls to almost see through without breaking, then it's done.
- Place dough in a greased bowl and cover with plastic wrap and allow to proof for at least 90 minutes to 2hrs.
- Punch out the air in the dough and divide it into 3 equal portions.
- Roll out each portion into a long flat oval shape and sprinkle the raisins on the surface.if using. Then roll up one end to make it into a swiss roll form.
- Placed the dough into a greased loaf tin and repeat with the rest of the 2 portions.
- Cover and let proof for another 1hr or till the loaf fills 90% of the tin.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C. Brush the top of loaf with egg wash.
- Bake loaf in the oven for 40 to 45 minutes. If top browns too quickly, cover with aluminum foil till baking time is up.
- When done, take out from oven and unmold immediately and let cool on rack before slicing.
Note that this time round, the ratio of whole wheat flour vs bread flour is higher. So if you prefer, you can reduce the whole wheat flour and increase the bread flour. But do keep the original ratio if you want the healthier version. Try it and let me know how you all like it. ;)