Friday, June 12, 2009

Decorated Cream Cheese Chiffon Cake

Wanted to make a nice cake for my girls today. A cake with chiffon texture and a flavor that they like. I remember seeing this Cream Cheese Chiffon cake recipe on some food blogs and hence decided to give it a try since the comments are all good. :) Since a plain old chiffon cake is not that appealing to a kid, I decided to decorate it with some fresh whipped cream, fresh blueberries and chocolate sandwich cookies. My girls were totally excited when they see me decorating the cake. Stealing a taste of the cream, popping a blueberry in their mouths and wanting to poke candles in it and kept insisting that mommy is making her birthday cake, haha!
For easier reference next time, here is the recipe I used for the cake:

Ingredient for Cream Cheese Chiffon cake:
40g cream cheese, room temperature
25g butter, room temperature

60g fresh milk

65g cake flour

4 egg yolks

4 egg whites

100g sugar

1/4 tsp salt

1/8 tsp cream of tartar


Method:
  • In a heat proof bowl, microwave the milk, butter and cream cheese together for 1 minute. Then using a whisk to stir in to blend everything together.
  • Sift in the cake flour and stir to combine. Then add the egg yolks and mix well.
  • Preheat oven 170˚C. Wrap the base of a tube pan with aluminum foil to prevent leakage while baking.
  • In another clean mixing bowl, add the egg whites with salt and beat till foamy. Add cream of tartar and continue to beat and gradually adding the sugar in. Beat till mixture becomes stiff peaks.
  • Gently fold the egg white into the egg yolk mixture in 3 separate portions and making sure everything is well combines.
  • Pour cake batter into the tube pan and bake in oven for 35 to 40 minutes.
  • Once baked, remove from oven and invert the tube pan and allow to cool completely in that manner before unmolding.
Note that for decorating the cake, it's really up to your own imagination and creativity. I merely used whatever I found in my fridge and pantry. And I am sure no matter how you decorate the cake, your family and friends will like it very much since it's made with love. ;)

The cake texture is indeed soft and light, very easy to eat. It's almost like the Japanese Soft Cheesecake that I make.
My girls each ate a big slice and enjoyed the cake as much as I did. I even cut a quarter of the cake to share with my neighbors and they loved it too. ;) Seeing their joy truly motivate me to improve and bake better for them. ;)

6 comments:

Happy Homebaker said...

very lovely cake you have made :) I like all the swirls you have piped, great job!

Honey Bee Sweets said...

Thanks Happy Homebaker! Actually I spend a longer time decorating the cake then baking it, but it still look so plain. :P I know I still need to improve, but thanks for your encouragement! ;)

Kitchen Corner said...

Pretty Cake! I think everything made from your heart it'll definately good and people around you are just so blessed. Good job!

Honey Bee Sweets said...

Thanks for the compliment Grace! You are right about that, every effort you put in can be rewarded when you see the joy when your love ones enjoy your work. ;)

Anonymous said...

What type of frosting/icing did you use?

Honey Bee Sweets said...

I think I only used fresh whipped cream that time