Friday, August 17, 2012

Wholewheat Raisin Loaf (50% wholewheat) / 低溫中種全麥土司麵包(50%全麥麵粉)

With our hectic lifestyles, I guess it's relatively hard to eat healthy unless you really make a point to do so. Many times it's a matter of choices. People tend to head for fast food just to save some time. But we don't realize all the bad build ups in our body until it's possibly too late. :P Maybe we can put in a little more effort to make our diet a little healthier, the pay off will be most rewarding in the end. And introducing more whole grains into our diet is one way to be healthier. I am always looking for healthy breads to bake, so bare with me if this is like the 5th or 6th wholewheat bread post in my blog, haha! I reckon there will be more in the future. ;P
I found another great wholewheat bread recipe from "妃娟與大、小拉拉的網路日誌". Once I saw this I was sold. No egg, low fat and low sugar wholewheat bread and yet taste great, how wonderful is that? Not really a fan of wholewheat? Don't fret, once you taste this, you will be a changed man...or woman. :)
This recipe is again using pre fermentation method which again I have to stress I am a strong believer in that. It yields a much tastier bread then other techniques, seriously. Although it is more time consuming in terms of the preparation, but the bread will retain softness longer and produce a better texture and taste. You have to try it to believe it. Well unless you are not as picky as me(on breads), I guess any method will. ;P
Ingredients for Wholewheat Raisin Loaf (Makes 2 loaves 9x4x5)
Starter Dough:
424g wholewheat flour
212g bread flour
8.5g instant active dry yeast
403ml water
  • Knead all ingredients of the starter dough together till it comes together as a soft pilable dough. Place dough in a large zip lock, seal and let rest for an hour. Then place dough in the fridge for up to 12 hours to 3 days.
Main Dough:
212g bread flour
8g salt
68g brown suagr
34g skim milk powder
160ml water

40g unsalted butter
    • Knead all ingredients of the main dough together, except the butter. Add pre-ferment dough piece by piece. Knead after each addition until soft and smooth. Add butter. Knead until stretchable and pass the window panel consistency.
    • Put the dough into a big bowl. Cover with cling wrap and let it prove for 30minutes till double.
    • This recipe is enough to makes two 9X5 loaves. So into 6 equal portions. Flatten each portion with your hands to drive the air out. Roll it into square shape, cover and let rest for 5 minutes before shaping.
    • For Loaf: Flatten the dough to drive the air out. Roll each out into a rectangular sheet with a rolling pin. Fold about 2cm from both sides towards the center and roll it out again. Roll the dough up like swiss roll (the width should be the same as the tin) and put them into the mould. Repeat for the rest of the 3 portions to make the other loaf.
    • Let it prove for about 30-45 minutes or until the dough has risen to 80 to 90% of the depth of the loaf tin. You can either cover the lid or bake it open top. Omitted the egg wash if you want to make it a vegetarian version. Bake in 175C for 30 to 35minutes. Cover with aluminium foil if the top is browning too fast.
    • Once baked, remove from oven and let cool in the loaf pan for 3 minutes. Then promptly remove the bread loaves from the tin and let cool completely on the rack before slicing or storage.
Quite amazing that 50% if the flour used is wholewheat and yet the end product was still as soft as any white loaf. The bread was really soft and springy. Love the addition of raisins, it makes it even more delightful to have it for breakfast, snack or supper. ;) Just spread on some cold butter and yums! The bread can stay soft up to 2-3 days. Simply place in fridge if you can't finish on the 3rd day and steam it up for 3-5 minutes and it'll be nice and soft again. ;)
Showing you all the "soft and tender" side of this wholewheat bread. ;) Try out this wonderful recipe and give your body something wholesome. ;)
Have a wonderful weekend all! And Selamat Hari Raya Aidilfitri to all our Muslim friends out there!

33 comments:

鲸鱼蓝蓝蓝 said...

你的面包真美丽
可以拿去卖了~~~

Angie's Recipes said...

I love wholewheat bread...yours look perfect!

Veronica said...

It's so nice to see someone baking a wholesome and healthy loaf of bread.

ann low said...

I love this bread with wholewheat, looks so soft and I can eat for lunch as well.

WendyinKK said...

I want to be a changed woman :)
Ahh... long time since I baked a loaf.
My toddler makes it hard to bake bread now as the bread dough doesn't wait for anyone , sad :(

Quay Po Cooks said...

I am so lazy to make bread but seeing your wholewheat raisin loaf reminds me that I should.

QembarDelites said...

Looks really soft, can't believe you used wholewheat and still get soft bread! Will try this using wholemeal flour instead since I have that, wonder if this is the same as wholewheat?

Mich Piece of Cake said...

I have never come across a loaf that uses whole wheat flour as a starter.... Thai is great! Love a healthy loaf. I might even substitute the butter for oil. Does it stay soft for a couple of days?

Honey Bee Sweets said...

鲸鱼蓝蓝,就因为美才要收进自己的肚子里啊!哈哈!卖了多可惜,因为有时这种产品在外面也买不到哦。

Thanks Angie! I love Wholewheat bread too....but I really hope I can make some bread with spelt flour soon! :))

Thanks Veronica! Yes, I do try to eat healthy...when I remember, heehee.

Honey Bee Sweets said...

Wendy, it's hard to believe that you are tight down with your boy leh. Because you are always chunking out so many good stuff! Ai ya, bread can wait la....not that special. Your nonya dishes / curries are more delectable! I wish I can cook those dishes like u la....

Veronica, thanks so muh for dropping by! You are a great cook! Always churning out such lovely dishes....like what it old Wendy,...bread can wait la.

Jeannie, sure you can! I think the result will be just as good. Btw, add the water. Little at a time since wholemeal and Wholewheat has different water adsorption degree.

Mich, actually this is y 2nd recipe that uses Wholewheat flour as th starter dough. :) yes, it stays soft and nice up to 2-3 days. Unless you are in a drier climate region....

Anonymous said...

Dear HBS
Thank you for the wish and the recipe.
The bread looks tempting.
A happy holiday to you and yr love ones and yr readers too.

Honey Bee Sweets said...

Thanks "Anonymous"! Hope you have a great holiday!

Zoe said...

Looks like this is the ideal bread for me and my family. I will try to get a copy of this book from Singapore :D

Honey Bee Sweets said...

Zoe, this recipe is from the website I stated, not a book. But you should check out the other book she wrote, also very good, it's chiffon book. :)

lena said...

you dont hv to change me, i'm oredi a wholewheat bread lover! i reckon this is another great bread recipe as i can see the texture of the bread is really so soft! i think this method is even simpler than one of the breads that i usually make at home, '孟老师‘ recipe, soft but takes very long proving hours, 2 times..

Anonymous said...

Bee, you are also becoming more healthier ya lol. The bread looks so soft, though healthy but still looks great!

kitchen flavours said...

Hi, Your bread looks so soft and fluffy! So delicious! I like wholewheat bread and with raisins, sounds even better! Perfectly baked!

Yeong Shong said...

Hello...I'm a beginner baker, would like to ask, what is the window panel consistency?

Also, when you put the dough in the pan, is it 3 separate portion side by side?

Sonia ~ Nasi Lemak Lover said...

i also quite a while did not make any bread after the last one using apple yeast..this wholewheat loaf sound so healthy lar!

Geo said...

Hi Honey Bee Sweets
do you have the measurement for the pre-fermentation/starter dough for 1 standard loaf of normal bread? Currently I'm using Thang Zhong method & I tried your Purple Sweet Potato Bread (17 hour fermentation) and would like to adopt this pre-fermentation method for my future bread, and usually I prepare the starter dough according to portion for alternate baking days. Thank you.
Geo

Honey Bee Sweets said...

Geo, The pre dough recipe given above is for 2 loves, just divide half for everything, nothing complicated.

Geo said...

Hi HBS,
Thanks, the above measurements for wholewheat. If normal bread, can i use the measurement from your Soft Green Tea Loaf..? means I can use this to make any other types of bread?

Set A:
1 tbsp green tea powder
35ml fresh milk
15g unsalted butter
2g sugar
1/8tsp salt
35g bread flour

Honey Bee Sweets said...

Geo, I don't think so. They are totally different recipes using totally different techniques, I doubt it will work that way.

gann said...

This recipe is enough to makes two 9X5 loaves. So into 6 equal portions. Flatten each portion with your hands to drive the air out. Roll it into square shape, cover and let rest for 5 minutes before shaping.
For Loaf: Flatten the dough to drive the air out. Roll each out into a rectangular sheet with a rolling pin. Fold about 2cm from both sides towards the center and roll it out again. Roll the dough up like swiss roll (the width should be the same as the tin) and out them into the mould. Repeat for the rest of the 3 portions to make the other loaf.

hi honeybee,
i dont understand this part can u explain a little?

Honey Bee Sweets said...

Gann, it's just a method of shaping your loaf dough. You can shape it any way you like, don't have to follow this method if your don't understand. I have plenty other recipes that shows other methods...happy baking.

Victoria Pan said...

Hi, your recipe doesn't state how much of raisins to use, and when to add them in? The starer dough or the main dough? Thanks!

Honey Bee Sweets said...

For that 2 loaves, you can use 1 cup worth of raisins or whichever amount u desire. Add into main dough

Lings said...

Hi Bee! Your bread looks really yummy! I would love to try your recipe but I can't seem to find any whole wheat flour so I was wondering where you bought them? ^^

Geo said...

Hi Bee, can u advice how do I deco the loaf as inthe pic u posted ie. with oats sliced ontop of loaf, u need eggwash for this for the oats to stay on, or just place them ontop before baking?

Honey Bee Sweets said...

I just used water and sprinkle the rolled oats on top prior to baking. Egg wash will actually adhere better but I wanted to keep it vegetarian. :)

Honey Bee Sweets said...

I bought mine from Cold storage or NTUC finest. The brand is from US, Philsbury...u might have heard of it.

Mable said...

Hello,
Do you think the recipe well work if i use a steamer instead of baking it in the oven?
I do not have an oven now.

Honey Bee Sweets said...

Hi Marble, I have not tried using steaming method, so I can't advice you on that. It will end up being Bao like texture no?