Saturday, August 4, 2012

Summer Treat: Heavenly Milo & Oreo Jelly

The weather is getting hotter as summer heat moves in. But as much as we are enjoying nice warm weathers here with occasional showers, there are still storms and floods in parts of China, while terrible typhoons threathens the coast of Taiwan. Not to mention droughts in parts of US that results in poor crop yield and thus global food shortage. Mother nature is getting more tempermental then before as the global warming is getting more imperative, something that we shouldn't just ignore now. Have you been playing your part in helping our planet Earth? Perhaps recycling more, less usage of air conditioner or even your car might just be the first few steps. ;)
Okay, all this talk about our Earth, perhaps will trigger you a little to help out too....even in the smallest way.
Back to today's post. (^.^) Its a really simple summer treat and I think not only the kids will love it, the adults will too! ;P It's Heavenly Milo and Oreo Jelly which was posted by Rima from Bisous a Toi. When I saw this, I knew at that moment I have to try it out. ;)) But it's too bad mine didn't turn out as beautiful as hers. :P
Somehow I suspect the jelly powder I use does not "gelatinize"as well as the one Rima used. I shall up my jelly powder amount the next time I make this. Regardless the jelly was delish! Indeed heavenly and addicitive. ;))
The Milo and oreo flavor blend in really well. My kids loved it very much and so did I, hahaha! I must say I haven't enjoyed jelly this much for a long time. :)

I will repost the recipe here but with slight modifications. Thanks Rima for sharing!

Ingredients for Milo & Oreo Jelly:
15g Jelly Powder (Agar-Agar Powder)
650ml water
150g caster sugar
1 can (400g) Evaporated Milk / (400ml fresh milk is fine)
3/4 cup Milo Powder
1 pack (137g) Oreo Cookies - Break up the cookies and leaving the creme inside

  • In a large saucepot, add the water and jelly powder in. Heat the mixture and stir till jellypowder has dissolved.
  • Add in caster sugar & cook until sugar is dissolved. Then add in evaporated milk, stir to mix well then switch off fire once you see bubbles forming at the side of the pot.
  • Ladle out 2 cups of the jelly mixture into another pot and stir in the Milo powder. Continue to stir making sure all of the milo powder is properfly dissolved in.
  • Ladle about half of the Milo mixture into your jelly moulds and let the remaining half warm up on smallest fire.
  • Let the milo jelly set slightly in the mould (but not too much!) on surface before pouring the milk jelly layer on. when you ladle the milk jelly in, be at most caution else might end up mainx the two layers.
  • Sprinkle oreo cookies into the milk jelly layer. then let it set for awhile.
  • Lastly add the remaining milo mixture as the final layer. Let cool before putting into the fridge to chill for at least 2 to 3 hours. Serve cold.
Due to the insuffucient jelly powder I used, the jelly's texture turned out to be like those soy beanurd...a wee bit soft. But I guess different brand of jelly powder probably yield different texture. I love Pearl Mermaid Brand(from Thailand), it always gives really smooth texture. If you are using other brand, perhaps you might want to use the original amount of 10g instead of 15g.
Loads of yummy Oreo inside. ;)) Hope you folks will give this fun and delicious recipe a try.

Gonna sign off now. Wishing everyone out there a wonderful and relaxing weekend! Cheers!

6 comments:

Unknown said...

such a lovely idea... and a cute post... :-)

Sandy said...

Not only looks tasty, but so pretty

Mich - Piece of Cake said...

This looks really good, with the milo and oreo bits. I think my kids would love this so much!

Honey Bee Sweets said...

Thanks Priya. :)

Thanks so much Sandy!

Mich, the oreo bits are the best part! I cant stop eating these jelly, lol!

lena said...

oreo is something new to me in jellies. Like you, i also havent had jellies for so long. i heard that the aspiring bakers is having a jelly theme in oct if i'm not wrong, think i will probably make one. as for your question on the cornmeal, i think it did helped to bring a great texture to the cake, almost 25% of cornmeal to total flour, the crumbs are very soft and quite light, only thing i cant tell much of its flavour in there.

My Little Space said...

Talking about jelly....it's been ages since I have them of my own. haha...So ashame! Hopefully, can make some this weekend.lol.
Kristy