Thursday, August 30, 2012

Ikan gerang asam

I am swamped! Literally...with too much work. :P I guess I have myself to blame. It usually happens when I can't blurt out the word "No" ( in the most polite way of course). If you know what I am talking about, it's taking up bake orders from friends and neighbours. The funny thing is I made myself promise not to take any more big orders this year, and there I go again breaking it like nobody's business. :P Although I did find it fun taking up these bake challenges, but again the time involved can be so demanding on me. Anyway, I have just delivered off today's order and hoping to catch a breather. I am not even gonna start on the back logs I have for these few weeks. *haiz* :P
Back to today's post, I have again took up the challenge in cooking yet another traditional noyna dish, Ikan Gerang Asam. For an all Chinese girl like me that has never (except this time) attempted cooking a nonyna savory dish, the very name of this dish itself can be a little intmidating, hahaha! Since I had some belimbing left after cooking Sambal Belimbing Prawns, so why waste it, make something delicious of course!
I read through Wendy's and Alan's ikan gerang asam recipe and incoroprated them together to make my dish. :)) So thanks very much guys!
Ingredients for Ikan Gerang Asam: (Serves 4 ppl)
Spice Paste:
3-4 tbsp dried chilli paste (refer here)
8 shallots, peeled and cut half
3 cloves of garlic, peeled
3 candlenuts
1 lemongrass, the inner white portion, 4" from the base
1/2 thumb size of tumeric, peeled & sliced
1/2 thumb size of galangal, peeled and sliced
1/2 tsp belacan
  • To prepare the spice paste, place all the above ingredients in a spice blender and grind till become a smooth paste. Set aside for use later.
400g mackerel
2 tbsp tamarind paste, mixed into 400ml water, seeds removed
10-15 okra (lady's fingers), head removed and cut half
1 tomatoes, sliced to 6 wedges
1 small egg plant, cut into wedges
6-8 belimbing, cut half
2-3 kaffir leaves
4 tbsp cooking oil
Salt and sugar to taste
  • In a large wok, add cooking oil and heat up at medium fire. Add in the spice paste and saute till fragrant, about 5 minutes.
  • Then add in the tamarind water mixture and bring to a boil. Then lower the fire to low and gently slide in the mackerel and simmer for a minute.
  • Then add in the sliced vegetables and cook for another 4-5 minutes. Off the fire, then cover and let rest for 5 more minutes. Dish up and serve while still hot.
This is actually not a diificult dish to cook. All you need is gather the right ingredients and ta-lah, a homey noyna dish right in your kitchen! I am pretty happy with this dish. The taste is awesome, spicy, sweet and slight sourness which hits the right spot! Delish! Had it with loads of steamy rice and it was goooood! :))
Thanks again for the inspiration Alan! I can proudly say I am no alien to noyna dishes from now on, haha!
I am happy to submit this post to Malaysian Food Fest, Melaka (August) hosted by Yummylittlecooks and organized by Wendy of Table For 2.....Or More. Thanks for hosting ladies!
Signing off now to get a well deserve rest. Have a "early" great weekend all!

8 comments:

鲸鱼蓝蓝蓝 said...

这是我明天的晚餐:)
真凑巧
刚出门就去买材料打算做这道:)

lena said...

hello bee, sedap! i think now from an alien you can transform to a junior nyonya chef! haha! looks really gooood!! now i know why you are always so busy..i forgot that you also take orders for your cakes, salute!! eat your tau huay and have a good rest!

Mich Piece of Cake said...

Looks so mouth wateringly delicious!! You make it sound easy. I also want to give it a try.

ann low said...

I love assam fish and usually order from the food stall. Will definitely try your recipe at home, I'm sure they'll love it very much.

Janine said...

one of my favorite fish recipes! definitely trying this :)

Jasline (Foodie Baker) said...

Hi Bee! I love assam fish, especially the lady fingers ;) Definitely will be trying this dish out! Yours look so easy and delicious!

Zoe said...

Hi Bee,

Your assam fish is so beautifully cooked. Wish that my son can learn to handle spicy food better soon and wish to cook this dish for my family too.

Zoe

Sonia ~ Nasi Lemak Lover said...

Look so tempting, need more rice for this dish!