Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Red Wine Yeast Marbled Chiffon Cake (红鞠大理石戚风蛋糕)

Sometimes I feel pressured. Pressured to post something really good. Not only good, but has to be somewhat unique as well. Not sure if you feel the same...but I do. If I bake something nowadays, I will ask myself, is this good enough to be posted? It may sound silly isn't it? But I do feel that the readers nowadays have pretty "high expectations" considering that there are so many great bloggers out there. These "new age" bloggers have fantastic photographic skills plus ever trying new recipes that will wow the readers so often. Don't get me wrong, I have nothing against them. In fact I love reading their posts! I just feel that my blog definitely needs a lot of work to get to that level, lol! Anyway, "人比人气死人", why make our life harder then it is right? ;))

Anyway, enough babbling, back to today's recipe. It's Red Wine Yeast Marbled Chiffon Cake (红鞠大理石戚风蛋糕).
After my previous attempt on using red wine yeast, I knew I had to try it again on a cake recipe. Since I did see some of the fellow bloggers using it for chiffon, I knew it will be an obvious choice. :)

Recipe was from 孟老师的100道小蛋糕 , a book that I owned but rarely use. *sigh* Anyway, I did slight modifications to it to fit into my 20cm tube pan. ;)

Ingredients (makes a 20cm tube pan)
4 egg yolks
45g caster sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
50ml vegetable oil
100ml fresh milk
120g cake flour
1 tsp baking powder

4 egg whites
80g caster sugar
10g cornflour (original calls for 1/3 tsp cream of tartar)

2 tbsp of red wine yeast (already in liquid form)
Method:
  • In a large mixing bowl, beat the egg yolks with caster sugar till thick and creamy, about double in volume. Then add in the vanilla extract and mix well.
  • Add in the vegetable oil, followed by the fresh milk into the egg yolk mixture and stir well. Then sift in the cake flour and baking powder. Mix till no visible lumps.
  • In another large mixing bowl, beat the egg white until foamy, add in sugar gradually and beat till still soft peaks, add in the corn flour and continue to beat till stiff.
  • Preheat the oven to 170C.
  • Gently hold in 1/3 of the white into yolk mixture. Then repeat with 2 more portions till all is folded.
  • Take 1/3 of the batter and mix in the red wine yeast into it till well combined.
  • Pour the plain batter into the tube pan first. Then place spoonfuls of the red wine yeast batter into the tube pan. Then use a toothpick, swirl the batter to create a marble effect.
  • Place the cake into the oven to bake for 28-30 minutes till the tester comes out clean.
  • Remove from oven and invert to cool completely before removing from the pan.
I had originally baked this for my brother since he was in Singapore for a visit. However the cake ended up eaten mostly by my dad! My dad loved it, claiming it was really soft and spongy and not too sweet, definitely his kind of cake, lol! :D The only down side for me was there was no evident taste or scent of the red wine yeast again. I felt the cake taste more like an ordinary vanilla chiffon cake. :P So I guess I have to either up the red wine yeast more or make the whole cake in pink (mix all the batter with it) next time. :P
Looks like the air pockets are still quite big in the cake. :P Anyway, taste is more important then looks right? *self comforting* Hahaha...

Red wine yeast pau, done. Red wine yeast chiffon cake , done. I guess that leaves us with red wine yeast...bread! Stay tune all. ;))

Thanks all for staying on with me. ;) Have a great evening all!


26 comments:

LoLy said...

I am new around your blog :) and I love it..
I am your new happy follower :D You are welcome to visit my humble blog :D
xxx
http://abudhabifood.blogspot.com

Zoe said...

I'm admiring the red wine yeast swirl gracefully embedded within your nice and tall chiffon cake. As I always said... You are always my number one chiffon cake Queen :D

Yummy Bakes said...

Bee, this is so beautiful and unique! Bring to bloggers meet next??

Mich - Piece of Cake said...

This looks really pretty and elegant. Love the swirls.

Bakericious said...

Bee Bee I like the sweet sweet look of the cake, the swirl looks so pretty.

鲸鱼蓝蓝蓝 said...

柔软的7风永远不会让人失望:)
再加上有大理石的花纹
难怪你的爸爸那么爱:)

Sonia ~ Nasi Lemak Lover said...

Your chiffon look moist and soft..

茵茵 said...

I love the marble effect, so sweet... I do agree with what you have said. But I think your blog is comparable to others, not like mine...Your blog and pictures are much much better than mine

Honey Bee Sweets said...

Thanks LoLy. Hope to see you around here again. :))

Honey Bee Sweets said...

Hahaha, Zoe, I'm no chiffon queen la! There are so many fellow bloggers that make fabulous chiffons too. But thanks for the compliment. :D

Honey Bee Sweets said...

Thanks Chris! Ehh...you sure you want to eat this chiffon? Sure I can bake for you all no problem!

Honey Bee Sweets said...

Thanks Mich! Welcome to my blog. :))

Honey Bee Sweets said...

Thanks Jess. :)) sweet ah? I thought u didn't create enough swirls know...

Honey Bee Sweets said...

鲸鱼蓝蓝,其实我老爸很爱吃蛋糕。只要是不太甜又软棉的他都藏进肚子里!哈哈哈!

Honey Bee Sweets said...

Thanks for dropping by Somia! You know u can't wait to use that Yuzhi powder of yours to bake a cake! :))

Honey Bee Sweets said...

Thanks 茵茵. You know your blog is great too, so please keep up the good work ya? Thanks for dropping by. :))

WendyinKK said...

I think if you think back of your original reason for blogging... you won't feel that pressured.
I blog about super simple dishes too, no brainer dishes, but I still post them, because I take mine as a personal culinary record.
Take it easy, be nice to yourself and you will feel happier.

Honey Bee Sweets said...

Exactly Wendy....people tend to loose track of what matters in the beginning. Anyway...as u said, don't be hard on ourselves right...

ReeseKitchen said...

I wonder if I use real Red Wine, will it taste nice...hehe...;p
Very nice effect you have here...would like to try it out too!!

Honey Bee Sweets said...

Where have u been my dear friend! Haven't heard from u for awhile now. :)) glad that u still checking out my posts. Red wine? Mmmm... Can try ya haha. Let me know how it turns out ok?

Fern @ To Food With Love said...

Looks very pretty. Does the red wine yeast have any taste to the cake?

Honey Bee Sweets said...

Thanks Fern. :) well, there's no apparent taste in the red wine yeast after I baked it. But before baking , it's sourish! Almost like vinegar...ewww. :D

lena said...

very true when you said 人比人气死人, cannot lah..if we compare, very susah ..that makes blogging torturing and eventually makes us think we are no good. I like the marble effects on your chiffon, vanilla chiffon also nice wat..hehe

kitchen flavours said...

Your cake looks beautiful! I have never tried red wine yeast in bakes before! Looks so spongy and soft, perfectly baked, no wonder your dad could not stop eating!

Angie's Recipes said...

Very soft and light! Beautiful photos.

My Little Space said...

Hey Bee, blogging is supposed to be fun and not feeling pressure. I don't bother to post anything as long as I post something. hahaha.... And everyone just enjoyed seeing you around the blogosphere. Btw, your chiffon looks marvelous.
Have a lovely evening, dear.
Kristy