I love light cheesecakes. It satisfy a craving and yet less guilt involved. I have tried a few versions of light cheesecakes before, all light and creamy but still has a slight differ in texture if you ask me. The first Feather light cheesecake I attempted has a large amount of milk in the recipe, and so it has a more milky taste to it. As for the Japanese Light Cheesecake I tried, it is creamier with a higher ratio of cream cheese. However the lemon juice used in the recipe really "brightens up" the taste, makes it even easier to down. (吃了不会逆).
The light Chedder cheesecake recipe I'm posting today is also uniquely different in taste and texture. With the use of Chedder cheese gives this cake a slight salty taste instead of the usual tang from cream cheese....I like it. :)
This looks so ordinary, but it taste all so good. The slight bouncy texture of the cake makes eating it very delightful. I wouldn't say this is creamy texture, but rather a light creamy cheese after taste. The slight salty and sweet gives it well balanced taste, even my picky sister said it's perfect. :D
I got this great recipe from 星厨房, will re-post it here for easy reference. ;) Thanks hsling!
Ingredients for Light Chedder Cheesecake (makes 8x8 square pan)
6 slices of Chedder Cheese
100ml fresh milk
100g unsalted butter
6 egg yolks
6egg whites (preferably cold, place in fridge after separating)
100g caster sugar
100g cake flour
- In a heatproof saucepan, place the butter, fresh milk and tear up the chedder chesee slices in.
- Place saucepan over medium low heat and stir gently until all is melted and mixed in together. Set aside for 5 minutes to cool before use.
- Ladle big spoonful of the milk mixture into the egg yolks. Mix well and then add in the rest of the milk mixture in. Stir well.
- Sift in the cake flour into the egg yolk mixture and make sure no lumps.
- Preheat the oven to 155C with a water bath. Grease and line an 8x8 square baking pan.
- In another large mixing bowl, add the egg whites in and beat till foamy. Add in the sugar gradually and beat till stiff peaks.
- Gently fold in 1/3 of the egg whites portion into the cheese mixture. And repeat with the other 2 portions and careful not to deflate it.Pour the batter into the prepared pan and smooth out the surface.
- Bake the cake in the oven for 50 minutes or till the tester comes out clean.
- Let cool for 5 minutes in the pan before removing and let cool completely before slicing.
Love this cake. In fact I have baked this twice and planning to bake it again next week, heehee. :D It's simple to whip up and it never disappoints. Main thing to remember for this recipe is to beat your egg whites to the right consistency. :)
Okay all, gonna keep this a short one. Will try to post again this week...since I have way too many backlogs...(*_*")
Have a good evening all. (^o^)