It's the weekend again, something I look forward to for the past 5 days, haha! For these 2 days I get to relax a little and spend more time with my family. Best of all, I don't have to wake up so early. :P But once in awhile, I'll still try to make a special breakfast for my kids and husband on weekend mornings. So this post, I would like to recommend you this simple but yet fabulous breakfast which will take you no time to prepare. A wonderful apple pancake that is sure to drag them out of bed and to the dinning table. ;)
This pancake uses the usual egg yolk and egg white separation method. Although this method is slightly more tedious compared to the usual whole egg method, but it yields a much fluffy and soft texture. So get whipping!
This recipe is extracted from "西點學習大百科"，a book that my friend Grace recommended to me awhile back. It's in Mandarin book, but I'll just post up the English translation here:
Ingredients for Apple Pancake: (Serves 3-4 adults)
Caramelized Apple wedges
2 medium apples (any kind is fine, but preferably Granny smiths)
40g caster sugar
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- Peel and core the two apples. Slice the apples into 8-10 wedges each.
- In a saucepan, add in sugar and a tbsp of water and on the fire at medium. Once sugar solution starts to turn amber, quickly add in the apple wedges and stir in well to coat.
- At this point, lower the heat to medium low, add in the butter and stir well to thicken the whole mixture.
- Lastly add in the vanilla extract and cook for another minute.
- Let it cool slightly before use. In the meantime, prepare your pancake batter.
2 egg yolks
80g cake flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
100ml fresh milk
1 tbsp vanilla extract1 tbsp vegetable oil
2 large eggs
30g caster sugar
- In a large mixing bowl, add in the egg yolks, vanilla extract, fresh milk and vegetable oil, stir well.
- Now sift in the cake flour and baking powder to the egg yolk mixture. Mix well and no visible lumps.
- In another mixing bowl, beat the 2 egg whites till foamy, then add in the caster sugar gradually and beat till stiff peaks.
- Fold in the whites to the yolk mixture in 3 separate portions and careful not to deflate the white.
- Place your pancake pan on the stove and add a little butter to grease the surface. On the heat at medium low. (I used my Happycall pan this time for easy flipping. :D)
- Pour the batter into the preheated pan. Then start adding in the caramelized apples wedges, making sure the wedges are well distributed over the pancake. Drizzle in the caramel over the batter as well, you don't want to waste that golden nectar.
- Flip the pancake after 5-7 minutes at medium low heat. If you are not using Happycall, just use a big plate to help yo. Simply slide the pancake out onto the place the cup it down with the toasted side up this time.
- Cook for another 5 -7 minutes then check if the pancake is golden brown. Once done, remove pancake and serve while still warm.
Hope this recipe will motivate you to make it for your family tomorrow...it's Sunday! It's delicious and much healthier then those hawker food or big breakfast at fast food chains. Best of all, it's made with TLC.
Have a fabulous weekend all! \(^o^)/