When you have a big family, you will know what I mean when I say it's really hard to gather everyone together just to have a meal together. Especially when everyone is so busy with their own schedule, travel plans and family matters. But nevertheless, my siblings and I try to make an effort to gather, even if its a belated one. And so happen that this year's Father's Day celebration, we had a belated celebration. But I'm glad, since last weekend I was busy making my daughter's birthday cake! *Sorry Dad* :P And so I made a simple yet delicious cake for my dad, a Passion Fruit Sponge Cake with Passion fruit cream, swiss roll style... again!. :D
Ohh I love passion fruit! The fragrance is superb! :) I think I shouldn't have procrastinated so long to use it again in my cakes. In fact I baked with it only twice before, a chiffon and a pound cake. This time round, a sponge cake recipe，百香果乳格蛋糕卷 (passion fruit cream cheese swiss roll) from 孟老师的美味蛋糕卷 cookbook, but I did several modifications to it so as to fit a bigger baking tray.
Ingredients for Passion fruit Cake Batter (13" by 15"):
50g unsalted butter
50ml fresh passion fruit juice (~ 3 passion fruits)
266g whole egg
20g egg yolk
110g caster sugar
112g cake flour
2 tsp cornflour
Ingredients for Passion Fruit Cream Cheese Filling:
120g unsalted butter
120g cream cheese, room temperature
42g confectioner's sugar
40ml passion fruit pulp
100ml non dairy whipping cream
- In a heat proof bowl, microwave the butter and passion fruit juice together till butter melts. Stir mixture and let it cool completely before using it.
- Line baking tray with parchment paper and greased it again. Preheat oven to 170C.
- Using electric mixer, beat the whole eggs, egg yolk and sugar together till it triple in volume and ribbon stage.
- Take about 1/5 of the egg batter and mix well into the melted butter and passion fruit mixture. Then add this mixture to the rest of the egg batter and stir gently till the batter is uniformly combined.
- Sift the cake and add about 1/3 of it to the egg batter. Using the lowest speed, beat the batter till no flour is visible. Repeat with the rest of the 2/3 flour, in 2 portions and mix well till everything incorporated.
- Pour the cake batter into the prepared baking tray and bake for 13 to 15 minutes till golden on the surface and the cake bounces back when pressed. Let cake cool completely before use.
- In the meantime, prepare the cream cheese filling: Cream the butter, cream cheese, sifted powder sugar and passion fruit juice together till smooth.
- Pour in the whipping cream and continue to whip at high speed till mixture fluff up and increase in volume more. Chill the mixture if not using immediately. Else use cream on cake and decorate at will. Have fun!
Okay, I should clarify why I said "swiss roll style...again" earlier. I have used the same method to "set up" this cake which I used in my husband's birthday cake a couple years back. Check out the link and you will see what I mean. :)) That is why my cake is close to 5" tall, heehee.
My family loved this cake and keep raving about it even the day after when I talked to my sister, heehee! They said it's really something that can't be bought anywhere else in Singapore and best of all it is delicious. *touched* :))
Sorry for my poor photo shots, this picture can't really show the vertical layers of of sponge cake and cream in it. :P As for the tast? Trust me, it's good...not too sweet, very fragrant, soft and you can't stop until you have a big slice! Try it out will you?
Had the initial intention to do a double recipe post today but decided not to, since it's getting late. :P Will post again soon. Hope you all have a good week ahead! Cheers!