Monday, June 27, 2011

Belated Father's Day Cake; Passion Fruit Cream Cheese Cake

When you have a big family, you will know what I mean when I say it's really hard to gather everyone together just to have a meal together. Especially when everyone is so busy with their own schedule, travel plans and family matters. But nevertheless, my siblings and I try to make an effort to gather, even if its a belated one. And so happen that this year's Father's Day celebration, we had a belated celebration. But I'm glad, since last weekend I was busy making my daughter's birthday cake! *Sorry Dad* :P And so I made a simple yet delicious cake for my dad, a Passion Fruit Sponge Cake with Passion fruit cream, swiss roll style... again!. :D
Ohh I love passion fruit! The fragrance is superb! :) I think I shouldn't have procrastinated so long to use it again in my cakes. In fact I baked with it only twice before, a chiffon and a pound cake. This time round, a sponge cake recipe,百香果乳格蛋糕卷 (passion fruit cream cheese swiss roll) from 孟老师的美味蛋糕卷 cookbook, but I did several modifications to it so as to fit a bigger baking tray.

Ingredients for Passion fruit Cake Batter (13" by 15"):
Set A:
50g unsalted butter
50ml fresh passion fruit juice (~ 3 passion fruits)

Set B:
266g whole egg
20g egg yolk
110g caster sugar

Set C:
112g cake flour
2 tsp cornflour

Ingredients for Passion Fruit Cream Cheese Filling:
120g unsalted butter
120g cream cheese, room temperature
42g confectioner's sugar
40ml passion fruit pulp
100ml non dairy whipping cream

Method: (全蛋式海棉蛋糕)
  • In a heat proof bowl, microwave the butter and passion fruit juice together till butter melts. Stir mixture and let it cool completely before using it.
  • Line baking tray with parchment paper and greased it again. Preheat oven to 170C.
  • Using electric mixer, beat the whole eggs, egg yolk and sugar together till it triple in volume and ribbon stage.
  • Take about 1/5 of the egg batter and mix well into the melted butter and passion fruit mixture. Then add this mixture to the rest of the egg batter and stir gently till the batter is uniformly combined.
  • Sift the cake and add about 1/3 of it to the egg batter. Using the lowest speed, beat the batter till no flour is visible. Repeat with the rest of the 2/3 flour, in 2 portions and mix well till everything incorporated.
  • Pour the cake batter into the prepared baking tray and bake for 13 to 15 minutes till golden on the surface and the cake bounces back when pressed. Let cake cool completely before use.
  • In the meantime, prepare the cream cheese filling: Cream the butter, cream cheese, sifted powder sugar and passion fruit juice together till smooth.
  • Pour in the whipping cream and continue to whip at high speed till mixture fluff up and increase in volume more. Chill the mixture if not using immediately. Else use cream on cake and decorate at will. Have fun!
Okay, I should clarify why I said "swiss roll style...again" earlier. I have used the same method to "set up" this cake which I used in my husband's birthday cake a couple years back. Check out the link and you will see what I mean. :)) That is why my cake is close to 5" tall, heehee.

My family loved this cake and keep raving about it even the day after when I talked to my sister, heehee! They said it's really something that can't be bought anywhere else in Singapore and best of all it is delicious. *touched* :))
Sorry for my poor photo shots, this picture can't really show the vertical layers of of sponge cake and cream in it. :P As for the tast? Trust me, it's good...not too sweet, very fragrant, soft and you can't stop until you have a big slice! Try it out will you?

Had the initial intention to do a double recipe post today but decided not to, since it's getting late. :P Will post again soon. Hope you all have a good week ahead! Cheers!

15 comments:

gertrude said...

That is one very tall cake. I am still on a look out for passion fruits here but can't seems to find any of it :(

Anonymous said...

A very beautiful cake. Your dad is very blessed. Theresa

ann low said...

That's a huge cake and it is very pretty! I love passion fruit too and would definitely like to try this recipe. Thanks for sharing :)

WendyinKK said...

I wish to try your swiss roll style with a vanilla cake and chocolate cream. One day, one day.
Happy Birthday Bee's Dad!

ReeseKitchen said...

Beautiful! It seems difficult for me to make this. You are very good...:)

Sonia ~ Nasi Lemak Lover said...

Happy Birthday to your dad! he is lucky to have you as a daughter who is good in baking. Your cake look really tall! and I bet it must be yummy too.

hanushi said...

The cake really looks tall... I still do not have much confidence in frosting a cake like this. :)

My Little Space said...

Bee, I love the shape of your cake! I like tall cake but the only problem is my refrigerator can't handle such height. haha... Thanks for sharing. I bet your dad loves the cake very much.
Hope you're having a great week ahead, dear.
Kristy

lena said...

bee, this cake really sounds delicious to me, a passionfruit sponge and a passionfruit cream cheese filling! i hope i will be able to try this out one day!

MnYfoodtalk said...

Wau, very tall cake, need special box to store it.

Unknown said...

The cake looks beautiful! I like the wording on top, so neat...

Honey Bee Sweets said...

Thanks Gert. :) Actually, this cake is about 5" tall...I guess it is slightly taller then the average cake. ;) Passion fruits are seasonal, so you probably have to check it out when it is. Good luck!

Thanks Theresa!

Thanks Ann! Actually it's not too big a cake, it's probably measuring a 7" by 5" only, probably the way I took the picture gave the wrong impression, heehee. :D

Honey Bee Sweets said...

@Wendy: Oh yes, vanilla cake with chocolate icing! I'm looking forward to seeing your post! Perhaps on one of your cutie pie's birthday? BTW, this cake is for Father's day lah, my dad's birthday is long way to go.

Sonia, thanks! Ehh...you also mistaken lah, this cake is for Father's Day celebration, not birthday. :)

Hanushi, you should totally try baking and icing a cake! Just for fun! I remembered the first cake I baked which is like 10 yrs ago...for my hubby's birthday. Not too attractive but still it was good. My point is, you have to start somewhere, why not now? Good luck and as the saying goes, practice makes perfect! ;)

Honey Bee Sweets said...

Reese,I'm so sure you can make this too. Try lah, you never know until you do it right?

Thanks Kristy! Yeah me too! I love tall cakes! But sometimes I worry that it might topple. lol! Hopefully you'll get a chance to make a nice tall cake in the future. ;)

Thanks lena! It is really delicious! *thick skin, lol* But yes, do try it when you have some nice ripe passion fruit at home.

Honey Bee Sweets said...

MnYfoodtalk, actually I have a cake box that fit the cake nicely, heehee!

Thanks neyeeloh! ;))