Thursday, June 30, 2011

Sweet Bread Loaf (5°C 冰种法)

Oh wow, I'm amazed at my own diligence, heehee. :D Three posts in a week! Where do I find the time? I guess just squeeze it out here and there and voilà! This recipe was made 1 months back and I nearly forgotten about it, well until I was looking through my photo folders. So why not post it up now?! I got this recipe from a new bread cook book I bought at Taiwan airport awhile back, call "面包教室 : 5°C 冰种的美味". Actually got recommended by my good friend Reese. Since it is a new technique, I chose one of the easier recipes in the book. a simple sweet bread loaf.

Ingredients for Sweet Bread loaf (5°C 冰种法): (makes two 9"X5"X5")
Starter Dough:
250g bread flour
162ml water
1g instant active yeast

Knead everything together till form a soft dough. Let dough proof in room temperature for an hour. Punch out the air and place in a large Ziploc bag and chill in the fridge (supposing 5°C) for 20~24hrs.

Main Dough:
350g bread flour
100g caster sugar
5g salt
8g instant active yeast (original calls for 15g fresh yeast)
1 whole large egg beaten
300g of starter dough
75ml fresh milk
50g unsalted butter

Filling:
Chocolate chips
Cranberries

Method:
  1. Knead everything together except the butter till it is not sticky. Add in the butter and continue to knead till it passes the window panel stage. Whole process takes about 20 minutes.
  2. Let dough proof, covered for 45 minutes. Then punch out the air and divide the dough into 6 equal portions. Or if you prefer to bake the dough in a different pan rather then a pullman tin, weigh and divide as desired. Roll round the dough and let rest for 10 minutes before shaping.
  3. Meantime, preheat the oven to 180°C. Grease the required baking pans.
  4. If you want to use fillings like chocolate chips or cranberries, add them in during the shaping step. After shaping your dough, place them in the greased pan and let proof for another 30 minutes till it fills 80% of the pan.
  5. Bake in the oven for 30 minutes or till the top is golden brown. If the top brown too soon, cover it with aluminum foil and continue to bake till the time is complete.
  6. Once removed from the oven, remove from the pans and let cool on rack completely before slicing.
As you can see I used the dough portion to make it into 2 different shapes. The round loaf is with chocolate chips which is my kids' fave and the big loaf is with cranberries. :) The bread did turn out nice and soft and was well liked by my family. :)
This book actually has 2 starter dough method; one is like Tangzhong (汤种法) method while the other is like the refrigerated pre-fermented dough method. So far this recipe gave a pretty good result, but I will have to explore more recipes inside the book to better advice everyone. Hopefully will post up more recipes from the book in the near future.
Hope this photo of the fluffy soft center is enough to tempt you folks to try it out, hehehe. :D

I hope I can make it in time for Aspiring Bakers #8 - Bread Seduction (June 2011) hosted by Jasmine from Sweetylicious. Thanks again Jasmine! Yes....it's my last submission for sure. ;)

Cheers all!

21 comments:

ICook4Fun said...

The last pix did tempt me alright :) I am going to try this method out the next time I bake bread. Thanks for sharing Bee.

Angie's Recipes said...

Perfect texture! I must try the recipe some day too.

Edith said...

Wow another new method. Lately I am bread crazy, thanks for translating the recipe and getting me on my toes! Nice and fluffy! Yum.

Sonia ~ Nasi Lemak Lover said...

too many bread method for me to try ,,list getting longer, hehehe..Hmm, in fact it look really soft.

Janetan said...

hi there,
wow, this indeed a new technique..i must try it. but i've a question for you if you won't mind. is the starter dough combine with the main dough ingredient right away from the fridge?

j3ss kitch3n said...

divine texture! need to try something from the book soon!

茄子 said...

看得出面包组织很美也很软。。我喜欢那个圆形的面包。

嗯,下个星期,再下个星期也希望你有更多文章分享:)

The Sweetylicious said...

THANK YOU VERY MUCH BEE! (: this would be another book that i want to buy :D the bread look so pretty and delicious! (:

ReeseKitchen said...

Bravo Bee Bee...3 posts in a week! I'm getting slower and slower now..haha! I like the round one, it looks like a crown..:)

Kitchen Corner said...

The pictures could really tell me how soft the bread is! That's a very good recipe indeed. I wish to have this recipe book, will find it out. Thanks for sharing.

lena said...

bee, i've also seen some chinese bloggers using this method..it's so wonderful that all of you are sharing various methods of baking bread, i'm learning here as well, thank you!

WendyinKK said...

Bee,
Thankyou so much for translating this book that I could never buy for my own, LOL.
I love the first pic, it looks like a King's crown, like those in fairy tales.

Zoe said...

Got to try this method too of bread making. Thanks for sharing.

Honey Bee Sweets said...

Thanks Gert! Yes, this recipe is indeed not bad. Try it out and let me know how it turns out yah? Happy Baking!

Thanks Angie! I'm so sure your version is gonna be much healthier and nutritious! Looking forward to seeing it!

Yes Edith, seems like there's an endless list of bread making techniques! No prob about the translation, these taiwan bread books are really good, I wish I can bake and blog all of them!

Honey Bee Sweets said...

Hahaha, Sonia, I know what you mean! I am quite amazed too with the number of techniques out there! None the less, just stick with a couple of trusty ones and you'll be good. For me, I'm such a bread baking "freak", when I see a new bread book or recipe, I MUST try it, lol!

Hi janetan! Nice of you to drop by my blog. :) To answer your question, yes I usually just use the pre fermented dough straight out from the fridge, I didn't let it become room temp before using. :)

Thanks Jess! Really? You bought the book too? Oh wow, I can't wait to see your post!

Honey Bee Sweets said...

谢谢你茄子!我也希望能有多点时间烘烤和写部络格。其实有太多食谱要试了,有时还真想什么都不做,就整天在烘烤,哈哈!

Thanks Jasmine! Hope you have fun baking with this book. ;)

Thanks Reese...I also don't know how I did it, heehee. 加油!Looking forward to seeing more new posts from you! ;)

Honey Bee Sweets said...

Grace, I think they have it here in Singapore Kinokuniya. If you want, I can order for you. Let me know. :)

You are most welcome Lena. :) Hope you will also try this method out. :)

Hahaha, Wendy, I like how you relate fairy tales to the bread! hey no prob, I wish I can bake and blog the whole book! lol!

Honey Bee Sweets said...

Thanks Zoe! Let me know how it turns out for you yah? Happy baking!

Mrs. Taylor said...

Hi Bee,

I just tried your bread. It came out of the oven at 2.25AM. I did not factor in all the proof time and made it on a whim. It is cooling now and hopefully the center will be as nice as your pic. Thanks for the post. Will be following your baking adventures.

Honey Bee Sweets said...

Oh dear, hope u get enough rest! Thanks for trying this recipe out. ;) hope it's successful and yummy! Welcome to my blog and glad I have another friend on my baking journey! :)

Honey beebread said...

Hello your blog is sharing great information. Thanks for share this blog, bizmel providing best Honey beebread in London UK.