Friday, June 17, 2011

Pumpkin Bread Loaf with raisins (17hr pre fermention method)

As I mentioned in my previous post, I wanted to post up another 17hr pre-fermentation method bread recipe. It is now without a doubt that this method is my all time trusted and favorite way to bake breads....well until I find another better method of course, heehee. So in the meantime, I probably be using this technique for most of my bread baking. Today's recipe is Pumpkin square loaf with raisins. ;) Square? Well, if you have been following my blog, you would have notice that I have never, yes never, covered my pullman loaf pan to bake a square loaf. Because the thought of restricting the dough from rising higher just doesn't seem right to me, lol! Anyway, this time I decided to give it a try....


I love using pumpkin in my breads, it gives it that extra golden glow! If you are not big on pumpkin, no worries! This recipe doesn't have an evident pumpkin taste. :) Besides, it seems like a healthy choice to add this nutritious root vegetable into the first meal of the day. So here it is folks, the recipe:

Ingredients for Pumpkin bread loaf with raisins: (makes two 9"X4"X4" loaves)
Pre-ferment Dough:
411g bread flour
235ml water
12g instant active yeast
6g sea salt
12g skim milk powder

Main dough:
176g bread flour
18g skim milk powder
6g sea salt
59g caster sugar
18g whole beaten egg
6g instant active yeast
41ml water
135g cooked pumpkin puree
40g unsalted butter
150g raisins

Method:
  1. Knead all ingredients of the main dough together, except the butter. Add pre-ferment dough piece by piece. Knead after each addition until soft and smooth. Add butter. Knead until stretchable and pass the window panel consistency.
  2. Put the dough into a big bowl. Cover with cling wrap and let it prove for 30minutes till double.
  3. Divide the dough into 6 equal portions. Flatten each portion with your hands to drive the air out. Roll it into square shape, cover and let rest for 20 minutes before shaping.
  4. Flatten the dough to drive the air out. Roll each out into a rectangular sheet with a rolling pin. Fold about 2cm from both sides towards the center and roll it out again. Roll the dough up like swiss roll (the width should be the same as the tin) and out them into the mould. Repeat for the rest of the dough portions. Cover with cling wrap.
  5. Let it prove for about 45 minutes or until the dough has risen to 80 to 90% of the depth of the loaf tin. You can either cover the lid or bake it open top. If open top, brush with egg wash. Bake in 175C for 30 to 35minutes.
Feel free to half the recipe to bake just one loaf. But I usually make the full pre ferment dough but use 1/2 of it to bake one loaf and saving the other half for my next loaf a couple days later. That way it saves one waiting time for the pre ferment dough. ;)
The loaf is soft and delicious and like I said before, this technique yields bread that stays soft even the next day or more! ;) My kids loved it, they devour a thick slice down with just a thin spread of butter. ;) Fluffy soft bread + creamy cold butter + sweet plum raisins...whats not to love?
A close up on a torn out piece. Hope you are convinced enough to try this out. :)

Again submitting this to Aspiring Bakers #8 - Bread Seduction (June 2011) hosted by Jasmine from Sweetylicious. Thanks Jasmine! :)

Cheers All!

20 comments:

Sonia ~ Nasi Lemak Lover said...

Bee bee, I have not success bake a loaf with Pullman tin, I think I have the same size of tin like you, I must try your recipe. By the way,the fermented dough recipe you provided is enough to make one loaf or two loaf? Thanks for sharing.

茄子 said...

你的第一次带盖土司做的真好。说真的,我也和你一样,在还没找到更好的方法前,我都会一直延用17中种。今天做了一个肉松土司,真的没话说,独脚仙这个食谱很好用。

WendyinKK said...

I love pumpkin in everything.
The colour is just so beautiful.
Just made a Hokkaido loaf today :)
But I have no idea when will I blog about it.

Edith said...

Brilliant idea to incorporate pumpkin into bread. My kids has this mindset that it is yucky but recently I made pumpkin kueh into a radish cake style and eat it so hearty. Might used your method to encourage them to eat more pumpkin since the taste is not evident. hehhee

Yummy Bakes said...

Nice color and the bread looks so soft and fluffy.

Kitchen Corner said...

Wow!! Very successful attempt. Nice loaf of square and golden color bread!!! I really miss bread making :(

j3ss kitch3n said...

the texture is really divine!

Unknown said...

I just happen to hv some pumpkin in the fridge... Love the golden yellow color ^_^

ReeseKitchen said...

OK...I'll try this!! I love looking at your breads..Yes, I mean I'll scroll up and down just to look at your pictures...haha! Beautiful..:)

lena said...

i do not always get a square loaf despite baking it in a pullman tin..sometimes it did nt rise high enough, bad shaping, etc. Bee, i'm totally convinced by your last pic!

Honey Bee Sweets said...

Hi Sonia, this recipe is enough to make two standard size Pullman loaves. Do try out this pre fermented technique, it's really very good!

Thanks 茄子! I actually had some difficulty getting the loaf out of the tin, lol! Somehow I think this Pullman loaf tin I bought from US is slightly different from the Asia version, the top is wider. Anyway, sure hope to make mor square loaves next time...must catch with with you!

Wendy, no worries lah, I'm sure with your efficiency, sure will see your post soon. :) try out pumpkin loaf lah, since you like pumpkin everything. :))

Honey Bee Sweets said...

Edith, I'm glad I gave you the idea to incorporate vege into your bakes. You know, even spinach, carrots and tomatoes can be incorporated in! Hopefully your kids will love this pumpkin loaf. :))

Thanks Yummy Bakes! And welcome to my blog! Hope to see you around again. ;)

Grace, no worries... I'm sure you'll be baking up a storm soon. For the time being, enjoy motherhood and bonding with your little prince yah? Take care friend. :))

Honey Bee Sweets said...

Thanks Jess!

Neyeeloh, I'm sure you can bake a real nice pumpkin loaf too. Looking forward to your post! ;)

Reese, you should totally try this! I'm really convinced that this is one of the best bread recipes out there. Let me know how it turns out ok?

Honey Bee Sweets said...

Thanks Lena. Indeed I wasn't very lucky with my earlier attempt too, it was only wit this recipe. Please try this recipe out and you will know what I mean. Good luck yah! :)

WendyinKK said...

Haha, I do like pumpkin everything, but not my hubby.
My MIL will be flying off back to the States very soon, so pullman loaves will be put on halt until she gets back as we can't finish off the 1ft loaf on our own.

SARAH said...

CAN YOU EXPLAIN TO ME WHAT IS THE DIRECTIONS TO MAKE THE PRE FERMENTED DOUGH? DO I LEAVE THE DOUGH OUT WITH ROOM TEMP. OR IN THE FRIFG FOR 17 HOURS?


SARAH

Honey Bee Sweets said...

Sarah, pls refer to
http://honeybeesweets88.blogspot.com/2011/01/milk-tea-bread-loaf.html
Btw, try not to use Cap for your comment, almost look like you're shouting. :)

Unknown said...

Hi.. Can I omit the egg in the recipe as my daughter is allergy to eggs.

Honey Bee Sweets said...

Kathy, I am not sure if you can. I cannot guarantee the texture will still be the same if you do omit.

Anonymous said...

Hi, Can I use bread machine to make the bread?