Thursday, December 16, 2010

"Thousand Layer" Butter Bread Loaf (奶油千層吐司))

Believe it or not, it's less then 10 days to Christmas (and 15 days to year 2011)! Amazed how time flies...when you do a reality check sometimes. I remembered last year this time, I was packing my bags and leaving KL and my dear friends behind. *sob* It was a tough time for me but look where we are now after a year, all settled down and got back the rhythm of life again. It isn't easy, but I am glad how things are now. I am happy and contented, well at least when I don't think too much, I am, hahaha! For what is worth, I learn to be more independent and grew a little stronger then before. I am still thankful every single day for what I have and always looking forward to a better tomorrow. More importantly (at least with respect to this blog), I can churn up more delicious food for all to share. :)

Oops, sorry about my little "speech"...I can get a little carried away sometimes, lol! You must be wondering when am I gonna get to the food part! Hahaha! No worries, here it is, today's menu is "Thousand layer" Butter Bread loaf (奶油千層吐司). Okay, might be a little exaggerating to say it has a thousand layers, but I was merely doing a direct translation. :)) I wonder if I even got 10 layers in there, hahaha!
I got this wonderful recipe from Carol 自在生活. I could totally imagine how buttery good the loaf was gonna be before I even made it. :P Anything is better with butter. :) By the way, this recipe is vegetarian! No eggs! Well, that is if you skip the egg wash at the end. :)
I did some slight modification to the recipe, here it is:

Ingredients for "Thousand Layer" Butter Bread Loaf (奶油千層吐司):

270g bread flour
30g cake flour
40g caster sugar
225ml fresh milk
1/3 tsp salt
1/2 tsp instant active yeast
20g unsalted butter

For layer:
30g of salted quality butter ( I used President Butter)

Egg wash for glazing (omit if vegetarian version)

Method: (Please refer to original recipe for step by step instructions)

  • Mix all dough ingredients except for butter together in a large mixing bowl to form a soft dough. Place on work area to knead or mixer to do the kneading. Knead the dough till it is not sticky, about 20 minutes.
  • Add the unsalted butter in and continue to knead till the dough is shiny and elastic. To test if the dough is ready, pull a small piece off and stretching it with your fingers. If dough is very elastic and pulls to almost see through without breaking, then it's done.
  • Place dough in a greased bowl and cover with plastic wrap and allow to proof for at least 90 minutes to 2hrs.
  • Once it's doubled, punched out the air and divide the dough to 65g portions, roll round and cover to let rest for 10 minutes before shaping.
  • Roll the dough out into a large rectangular about 30cm by 50cm. Spread the reserved salted butter on it leaving about 1 inch on the sides.
  • Roll up the dough from the short side and seal all the four edges tightly.
  • Fold the log into half, with one half on top over the other. Then use a sharp knife, slice down leaving about 1" at the end.
  • Braid the dough and gently place it into a greased loaf tin. Let it proof till 80% full.
  • Bake in a preheated oven of 175C for 30 minutes till top is golden brown.
  • Remove from loaf tin immediately and let cool on rack before slicing to serve.
Once this butter loaf was out from the oven...the buttery fragrance filled the whole house! Heavenly! I was very tempted to take a bite out of it, lol! Good things come to those who wait...:D It is so soft, I can't imagine if I did slice it before it cooled down...probably moshed, hahaha!
Okay, you can see for yourself the fluffiness of this bread. I teared a piece off and was delighted! It's truly buttery good. Well from the photo, you can't really tell the buttery scent and taste, but trust me...it's like a croissant loaf. :) Do try it...but bare in mind to use quality butter for this recipe, it's worth it. :))

Anyway, got to go do some packing now. Yup it's finally my turn to hit the roads and have some time off. Will be back real soon folks....you all have a great weekend now! Cheers!



22 comments:

Wen said...

Nice bread! Looks so soft and fluffy!

Your #1 Fan said...

I think I can almost taste and smell it!!! Ugh -stomach grumbles-
Thanks for sharing.

j3ss kitch3n said...

i could almost smell the buttery smell from my computer screen! looks very soft!

Sonia ~ Nasi Lemak Lover said...

This loaf sound buttery and good! Do enjoy your holidays! I have no holidays for this year end, busy with new house things..

tracieMoo said...

woah.. so soft! Looks like one my mum bought last week in a japanese bakery store!

Elin Chia said...

Bee Bee...I agree time flies just like that..I remembered it is almost a year since the last CNY meet up at Mdm Kwan...and the next met up hope to see you again :)

Your thousand layer butter bread looks soft and fluffy. I will try my hands at it Thanks for sharing the recipe :)

The Sweetylicious said...

looks really soft and fluffy (: (: yummy!!

WendyinKK said...

Me too, will be away for the weekend again :)
That's what holidays are for, LOL.

Enjoyr urself :)

My Little Space said...

Happy Holiday, bee!~ Hope you're having a fabulous time. The bread looks fantastic. Have a safe trip!
Blessings, Kristy

Sanjeeta kk said...

Perfect texture for this gorgeous bread.

lena said...

yes, this bread looks really soft..and the crust looks kind of the danish bread. take care and enjoy your holidays!

Pei-Lin said...

Bee Bee, I once sampled a similar bread at Jusco's Bohemian Bakery!! It was a rage in KL back then ... Like before I left for the U.S.!!?? Yours looks so similar!! Must be so yummy and uber buttery!!!

Enjoy the holiday season!! I myself have been having a busy December this year!! Hardly have the time to write!!?? LOL!

Unknown said...

Happy holiday ^_^

Zoe said...

Look very soft and yummy. Got to bookmark this :D

Honey Bee Sweets said...

Thanks Wen! :)

Thanks Jet! Hahaha, yes, it is indeed very buttery good...I am surely making this again and again.

Thanks j3ss! Try it...then you can smell the real thing! ;D

Oh wow Sonia! You have a new house along the way? Must be pretty exciting! Any chance we bloggers get to visit you during CNY? Heehee!

Honey Bee Sweets said...

Thank you Tracie! Yeah, actually this bread does reminds me of the one selling in Jusco! Buttery yum! Try it and your mum doesn't have to buy from the Jap bakery anymore. :)

Yes Elin, time is super fast! Especially for us mommise whose always busy with cooking, house work and kids! Yup, am looking forward to have another rendezvous with you blogger ladies!

Thanks Sweetylicious!

Honey Bee Sweets said...

Thanks Wendy! Hope you have a wonderful holiday too! Cheers~!

Thanks Kristy! Hope you and your family have a blissful and joyous Christmas this year! :)

Thanks Sanjeeta KK! Try it out, it's really nice!

Honey Bee Sweets said...

Thanks Lena! Yes, it does looks like a Danish loaf. :) I guess that is another way of calling it. ;)

Thanks Pei-lin! Yeah! I think I've tried the bread from Jusco's Bohemian Bakery too, lol! Actually there's quite a bit of butter involved here....but still these are the sinfully good food that you just can't miss, heehee. Sure, will keep you posted when I'm back from CA. You have a good one too friend!

Honey Bee Sweets said...

Thanks neyeeloh! You have a wonderful Christmas too!

Hi Zoe! Try it and let me know how yours turned out! Have fun baking and eating it, yum!. :)

ann low said...

BeeBee ~Your butter bread loaf looks so good, I'm hungry now by looking at it. Hope I have the time to make bread.
Please come to my blog and join a little Christmas giveaway.
Happy weekend

Honey Bee Sweets said...

Thanks Ann! I guess it's close to dinner time...I'm hungry too, lol! I hope you get to try this bread too. :) okay, wi
L go check out your post, thanks for dropping by. :)

ReeseKitchen said...

A very nice loaf you have here my friend..:) I'm sure will try this out...I always did!! Have a wonderful trip and enjoy yourself..:D