Monday, December 13, 2010

A "Grace-full" week : No bake Strawberry & Mango Cheesecake

This week has been a quite an eventful one for me. Why? Well, I had the pleasure of having two nice ladies coming to visit me this week. And it so happened that these two ladies shared the same name...Grace. :) And thus the post title, "Grace-full", heehee. :D One of these ladies I believe most of you bloggers will already have come to know, she is Grace from Kitchen Corner. I came to know her through blogging more then 2 years ago. We then got to meet up twice during the past bloggers' gathering and found out we actually stayed pretty close to each other! After going to and fro a couple times, we finally got to meet up to have lunch at my place. It was a really pleasant meet up as we just chat away non stop and enjoyed our lunch happily. ;) Grace was nice enough to bake me some yummy cakes even while she's been really busy lately. Thanks my friend! I too managed to make a simple cheesecake for her, which is No Bake Strawberry Cheesecake which we delightfully enjoyed after our Sweet Italian Sausage pasta.
This is one of my all time favorite cheesecake. It's light, not the same as those baked version cheesecake which is much more dense and filling. The addition of whipped non dairy cream to the recipe makes it lighter but still creamy and delicious like a soft serve ice cream, yum yum!

I didn't add any Strawberry chunks into the batter because I wanted it to be nice and smooth...kind of like melt in your mouth texture. :) And besides using strawberry, I believe you can use all sorts of yummy flavor! Passion fruit, chocolate, lemon and even Dulce De Leche!

This recipe turned out just right, with evident strawberry flavor (no essence added, all natural!) and with the right amount of sweetness. Luckily Grace whom is such a great baker also said it's nice. *phew* I loved it so much that I actually craved for it the following day, lol!

Ingredients for No Bake Strawberry/Mango Cheesecake: (makes one 8" round)
Cookie Base:
200g graham cracker, crushed
100g melted butter

Cheese filling:
400g cream cheese, soften
90-100g caster sugar (adjust sweetness to your own liking)
1 cup fresh strawberry/mango puree
200ml non-dairy whipping cream, whipped
1 tbsp fresh lemon juice
1 to 1.5 tbsp gelatin powder and 4 tbsp water


Jelly Top:
100g fresh strawberry/mango puree
100ml water
2 tbsp caster sugar
1 tsp gelatin powder
1 tsp agar agar powder
Method:

  • For cookie base: Mix all ingredients together. Then press the mixture evenly to the base of a 8" or 9" cake pan (preferably those with removable sides or base) Chill the cookie base for at least 30 minutes before using.
  • Cream the cream cheese, sugar, lemon juice and strawberry puree till smooth. Gently stir in the whipped cream and mix till well incorporated.
  • Using double boiler, melt the gelatin in the 4 tbsp water. Let cool slightly but not much else the gelatin will solidify again. Scoop 2 tbsp of the cheesecake batter into this gelatin mixture till well combined. Then add this mixture to the cream cheese mixture and stir well.
  • Scoop the cream cheese batter over the cookie base and level it smoothly. Chill it in the fridge for at least an hour before use.
  • Meanwhile, make the jelly top: In a small saucepan, add all the ingredients in and gentle boil till gelatin and agar agar powder melt and blends in the mixture. When the side of the mixture starts to bubble, remove from fire and let cool for 15 minutes. Then pour the mixture over the cream cheese top and chill it for at least 30 minutes.
The other friend called Grace is an old friend cum neighbor which I had the pleasure to come to know for 3 years while I was staying in KL. She's been a supportive and always welcoming friend to me. I was glad that she is coming to Singapore this time because it's been 3 years since her last visit. Coincidentally, her birthday happens to fall close to the date of her visit to Singapore. That would means I can bake her a birthday cake to celebrate this special day together with her.
This is not the first time I made a birthday cake for my friend Grace. Last year I did a simple birthday cake for her, which is butter cake with blueberry filling and butter cream. This year I wanted to make her something different, on the lighter flare, similar to above, but a No Bake Mango Cheesecake, heehee. :D Only managed to snap the above photo since I was rushing off to meet her for dinner that evening. But rest assured that she and her family loved the cake as well. :)

I will definitely try out this recipe again. Perhaps with a much more exotic flavor or maybe just my all time fave, dark chocolate. :)) Let me know if you ever try this out. Signing off now, take care all and have fun baking!

27 comments:

Elin Chia said...

BeeBee...I am salivating now just looking at your no bake strawberry and mango cheesecake...I have to try the recipe out so that I can fulfill the hunger in me * wink...hahaha greedy me!

Have a great day,
Elin

Bakericious said...

I so envy leh, hope can meet up with both of you again, next time if high tea at your place let me know ok, I will eat snake and join you all heeheehee... I love non bake cheesecake, both eat or making as give away. Looks so yummy!

j3ss kitch3n said...

both cakes look very delish bee! pretty as well =)

busygran said...

I like your no-bake cheesecake! It's easy to make.

DG said...

Both look yummy & refreshing fruit cheesecakes!

Sanjeeta kk said...

Wow! Two awesome treats in one post. Love the no baking version.

Passionate About Baking said...

It's always nice to bake or make for people who shares the same passion! Finally both of you got to meet up! The cheesecake really looks like the melt-in-the-mouth kind, and looks rather light! At least it's not as heavy as those baked versions. Thanks for sharing the recipe!

The Sweetylicious said...

the layers are nicely done (: my friends love no bake cakes. thank you for your recipe!! (:

Pei-Lin said...

Oh! Glad that you had two Graces popping by for company! It's always nice to be able to share your food with those who you care! =)

I miss you so much la! If you happen to stop by KL next CNY, let us know. K? If not, we'll pull you in ... HAHAHA!

Bake for a Queen said...

I want some cheesecake too! yum yum

lena said...

looks so tempted and love both the strawberry and mango cheesecake!

Bakertan said...

hey bee bee,

thats so nice of you ladies to meet up. nothing beats a good chat between avid bakers.

Both the strawberry and mango cheesecakes look good. I have been wanting to do a mango cheesecake.

ReeseKitchen said...

Very nice cheese cakes! I'll come next September horr...heehee!
Both cakes looked very delicious especially the mango one, wish I were there to have a piece too...;p

Kitchen Corner said...

Hey Bee! That's really nice piece of strawberry cheesecake I had in that afternoon. I wish I could have another piece but your pasta is too great that make me finished a big bowl. The cheesecake is light and creamy, a bit like strawberry Mousse but with the taste of cheese in it, really great refreshing dessert! Thanks again for the lovely lunch and I hope we will have it more often although I'll be getting busy soon. We try to make it ok. Cheers!

Honey Bee Sweets said...

@Elin: hahaha, I definitely know what you mean friend...happens to me all the time! It's a relatively easy recipe, hope you will try it.

@Jess: hahaha, sure sure, will not forget you the next round. We are already thinking of having one during CNY

Thanks j3ss & busygran!

Honey Bee Sweets said...

Thanks DG, it is indeed pretty refreshing, so eating a big slice actually not too filling, heehee. :)

Thanks Sanjeeta! Hope you will try this out.;)

Jane, I heard that you are not too much of a fan for these no bake cheesecakes, true? Actually this one is indeed quite nice, hope you will try it out sometime. Else next time we meet, I can make for you ladies to try. :)

No problem Sweetyalicious. Hope you and your fiends will love this, enjoy!

Sonia ~ Nasi Lemak Lover said...

I also envy lar, next time if we meet again, remember to bring me a nice cake ya,hehehe..Look like you had a fun time with two Grace, and this cake look so nice and i bet it taste wonderful.

Honey Bee Sweets said...

@Pei-Lin: I miss you too friend! Yes yes, definitely in my plans to go back KL to meet you awesome ladies this coming CNY. *fingers crossed*

@Bake for a Queen: Welcome to my blog! Thanks for the comment, do come visit again. :)

Thanks Lena. :)

Honey Bee Sweets said...

Hey ZY, you should try mango cheesecake! Somehow this combination is a sure win. :)

@Reese: Hahaha, okay, I got the hint! So you want mango flavor? How about coffee? Heehee!

@Grace: it was really nicd to have you! Perhaps it's my turn to go visit you next round yah? I just worried you're too busy to entertain me, hahaha. Okay, lets hope we can meet up soon after I come back from my trip. Take care yah!

Passionate About Baking said...

Ya HBS, I'm not a big fan of non-bake cheesecakes. :p Somehow, it tasted of gelatines. However, your cheesecake looks very much like a mousse cake. The melt-in-the-mouth texture can convince me though. I'll give this a try, as it sure looks good!

Honey Bee Sweets said...

Hey Jane, you know I too hate the taste of gelatin! I remembered the first time I made no bake mango cheesecake, I tasted the gelatin in it and it is sure not "appetizing". :P However I find that where you get your gelatin powder might be important too. I complaint about this to Mrs Wong from Sunlik and she assured me that the gelatin from her store has no evident taste. And she is right! These two cheesecake I made has only creamy fruity scent...no trace of gelatin taste. You can ask Grace, she might be able to reassure this. So next timeifyou happen to be at Sunlik, buy a pack of gelatin yah. :)

Honey Bee Sweets said...

Thanks Sonia, I sure will bring a cake to share if I can next time when we have the blogger meet up in KL. :)) looking forward to seeing you again! Have a happy holiday!

ann low said...

WOW! Your cheesecakes look so delicious. I made a plain cheesecake two days for my auntie and would like to try your recipes next round.

WendyinKK said...

Wah... all cheesecakes.
Declicious but very... hahahaha!
When will I have the chance to see u leh.......?

My Little Space said...

The cakes look super luscious! Love the flavour as well.
Kristy

Grace Tan said...

BB..... thank you very much for the cheesecake baked for my special day. We have finished the whole cake in the hotel the next morning. yumm...... I am picking up the "baking habit" lately and hopefully will be able to bake one for you next year. :P

Honey Bee Sweets said...

Thanks Anncoo! You know I have been meaning to try plain vanilla cheesecake too! Hope you'll try this, it's yummy!

Hey Wendy, you know I actually used 1/3 fat content for my cream cheese leh....so not so sinful but full flavored. :) when, CNY lah, I am planning to go KL again to see my friend and hopefully to you blogger friends! Fingers crossed.

Thanks Kristy! I know you are quite busy now, so thanks so much for dropping by. :))

Grace! You know Reese and I are more then happy that you are finally joining in the baking fun! Heehee, I will be more then delighted if you ever make a birthday cake for me! Heehee, like that I am super motivated to go back KL in November next year, lol!