Thursday, July 22, 2010

Dim Sum Fried Carrot Cake & Simply Good Butter Cookies

I am sure many of you out there, including myself of course have tried and love the Hong Kong style Fried Carrot Cake @ any Dim Sum restaurant. That dish is a MUST for my family because both my kids loves it and would sometimes just eat that during the whole meal. :P I have always wanted to replicate this dish at home but for some reason it was being pushed aside every time. :P After a dim sum session with the family a couple weeks back and seeing my girls again enjoying the carrot cake at the restaurant made me even more determined. :) Result was better then expected *phew* and I kept wondering why had I not made it earlier!
This is actually not my first time making carrot cake. I remember my previous attempt was actually to make "Cha Kueh", since I am such a fan for it, lol! But I can firmly say my latter's recipe is actually a better one and also a keeper too! ;) The carrot was tender and yet firm enough to withstand the frying. So when biting in to it, it's crispy out and soft flavorful inside was so good! :D Enough chit chat, shall we all take a look at the recipe? Here it is:

Ingredients for Steam Carrot Cake:
Set A:
425g white carrot / turnip, peeled and shredded
340ml water

Set B:
2 shallots, peeled and chopped fine
2 tbsp dried shrimp, soaked and cut into smaller bits
4 to 5 dried mushroom, soaked in water till soft, then cut into small chunks
2 Chinese sausage, casing removed and cut into small chunks
2 tbsp vegetable cooking oil

Set C:
155g rice flour
15g corn flour
15g wheat starch powder
340ml chicken stock (or use 340ml water + 1 chicken bouillon cube)

Method:
  • In a large pot, add shredded carrot and water and start boiling mixture. Cook for about 5 to 8 minutes till the vegetables are slightly cooked. Do not throw about the water, leave the whole mixture together and set aside till needed.
  • In a saute pan, add vegetable oil @ medium heat and stir fry the shallots till fragrant. Then add in Chinese sausage, mushrooms and dried shrimp. Cook mixture for a couple minutes then add the carrot water mixture in. Let it stew for about 8 to 10 minutes and then off the fire. Set aside till needed.
  • In the meantime, prepare the steamer with rolling boil water and grease a 8" round steam pan lined with parchment paper.
  • In a large mixing bowl, add rice flour, corn flour and wheat starch in. Pour in the chicken stock and mix well. Then pour the carrot mixture into the flour mixture and stir well. The mixture will be lumpy and thick.
  • Pour it into the prepared steamer pan and let steam for about 40 minutes till cooked.
    Remove from steamer and let cool completely before cutting into it.
  • After cooling it, slice the kueh into about 5 am by 3cm rectangles. Prepare a frying pan and add enough cooking oil for frying the carrot cakes.
  • Fry each side of the carrot cake for about 4 to 5 minutes before flipping or till it is golden brown. Dish up and drain on paper towels. Serve with any condiments of your choice. :)

I was pretty happy with the result. Even my younger daughter justified that by eating about 5 pieces! She kept saying "It's really good Mummy." Hahaha...I guess that all I needed to know. ;) We finished everything at one go! Guess the next time I make it will have to be double the recipe. ;) If you try it out, let me know how yours turn out okay? Happy cooking!
Next item up is something that I have been "dying" to do for a long long time. It's actually just simple butter cookies, but using cute cookie cutters to cut them out. :) Nothing special I know, but it;s so fun! BTW, I collect cookie cutters...I see I buy, a little out of control but I love all of them! Shh....don't tell okay, lol! I have many ( seriously many more) cutters that I have yet got a chance to try out, but anyway, here are just 6 of them today...cute right?
Okay I admit I didn't do a good job on the cutting out for some...but I tell you it is not as easy as it looks! Some of the lines are so detail and fine, I had a hard time trying to remove cookie dough sucked in the cutter!
Here is a look at the cookie cutters themselves. Except for Miffy (the rabbit) and her bear friend (no clue the name), the rest are the usual Disney characters. If they come in Princess ones(i.e. Cinderella, Snow White etc)...I think my daughters will go crazy over them!
Fact: You want the best; use the best. I loveX3 President Butter, it's literally cream of the crop of all the other brands. It's buttery fragrance is unbeatable and if I can, I would use it for all my recipes...that is if I can (~~$$$$$~~) :P And of course, Madagascar Pure Vanilla extract is always my top choice too. Wondering about my recipe? I actually used the same one for from my Linzer cookies, one of my fave of all time....yum!
This is quite a delicate butter cookie recipe, I had to make sure I had to make sure not to use too much flour in the dough so as to make the cookie dough easy to handle. Simple, not really, I used up my whole afternoon doing these...just for 50 cookies. :P But knowing these cookies will be a hit, I finished my work with no complaints. :P My kids LOVE them...asking one after another....choosing the cute characters and claim one taste better then the other(the cutter looking ones that is). :P I was really glad it was well received and of course it goes without saying you'll see more of it in my future posts. :) Try it and you will know what I mean. Okay all, got to go now my friends , you all have a good day!

31 comments:

Angie's Recipes said...

These carrot slices are gorgeous! Some for the breakfast with puer tea, please!
Bet all the kids would be crazy for these cute moulded cuties.

ann low said...

I love fried carrot cake and made this often. Your carrot cake looks crispy on the outside..so yumm..yumm..and those cookies are so cute.

Bakericious said...

Bee Bee, the fried carrot cake looks so soft and yummy. And the cookies, so cute lei

ReeseKitchen said...

Oh fried carrot cake, my favourite! All I did was yam cake, no carrot cake in my list. You know why, Ben and Cheryl are not a fans of it..:(
Butter cookies, again my favourite! Oh dear, Bee Bee...how I wish I can try both of them!!

busygran said...

Lovely carrot cake slices and tempting too! Makes me want to make some this weekend.
I like your cookie cutters and the cookies. They are sooo cute!

Happy Homebaker said...

I have kept a carrot cake recipe (which can also be adjusted to make pumpkin cake and yam cake). I am sitting on it, and hopefully one day, I will pick up the courage to try it. Your pic of the steamed carrot cake reminds me of those my mum used to make. Your cookies are cute :)

quizzine said...

Yes, yes, I like those fried carrot cake from the dim sum restaurants. Especially those with "lup cheong" inside!

WendyinKK said...

Cartoon cookies are always a hit with kids.
Long time didn't make butter cookies.
Made them so much during my teens, maybe I made too much that time.

pigpigscorner said...

The last carrot cake I made was a bit hard. Will give this recipe a go! Sounds yummy!

mysimplefood said...

Love Carrot cake!! Will try your recipe!!!

Magic of Spice said...

Wow the fried carrot cake sounds wonderful...and those cookies are just adorable :)

Edith said...

What a coincidence, I make this too last night. I am going to have this for dinner instead.

Honey Bee Sweets said...

When you coming over for breakfast Angie? I make some carrot cake and of course with tea. ;)

Thanks Anncoo, you are also invited to breakfast when i make this again. ;)

Thank you Jess. You are always so supportive!

Honey Bee Sweets said...

Thanks so my dear friend Reese. Heehee, u make such nice kueh also! Okay, next time we meet, I will make these butter cookies for you yah? ;)

Welcome to my blog busygran! Hope you will drop by again, cheers!

Honey Bee Sweets said...

Hi HHB, I do hope that you will try out your kueh recipe soon. It beats store bought ones for sure. Hahaha, good that just the pics can bring back fond memories for you.

Hi quizzine! Wah long time no see! Hope you are doing well. Heehee, I did put the lak cheong in, so it is very good, try it out. ;)

Small Small Baker said...

I made these cookies before, it's really hard to make the imprint nice and clear, and must be careful not to break their ears. ;) But they are really nice, remind me to make them again. You got more cookie cutters? Make more and let us see!

Kitchen Corner said...

Hi Bee,
I really lack of energy to do things in the kitchen recently. I wish someone could cook for me and bake something for me too! I'm craving for your cookies, but it's too cute that I don't feel to bite them :) There all looks lovely!

Esther said...

Hi Honey Bee Bee
Your carrot look so yummy!
Having been reading your blog quite often. All your bakes & cooks look so good ... Will try some of your recipes soon.
Rgds
Esther

Honey Bee Sweets said...

Wendy, I think not all butter cookies taste the same. I am always looking for nice ones, I never seem to get tired of it though. Hope you get over it soon.

Hi pigpigscorner, this recipe yields a nice soft and tender carrot cake, so do try it out. Let me know how you like it yah?,

Honey Bee Sweets said...

My simplefoods, you will not regret trying this carrot cake. Happy cooking!

Thanks Magic of Spice!

Honey Bee Sweets said...

Heehee, Edith, I actually made this carrot cake a week back, just that I am slow at blogging.:p Hoe you had a great dinner!

Hi smallsmallbaker, yeah, I saw your post before with all those cute cookies! You are right, really not easy to use. :P but yours look really good. Heehee, sure will make more butter cookies with more cutters, actually this batch I made batch was for sale for some of my neighbors. And they are already asking when will I be making again. ;)

Honey Bee Sweets said...

Hi Grace, you sound tired. Hope you are feeling better and gets your good baking "germs" back.;) yeah, i agree the cookies are cute, but not eating it will be such a waste yah....so go ahead and take a big bite.... It won't say ouch, heehee.

Thanks for dropping by Esther! Glad you enjoy reading my blog, hope you will like the recipes. Have a great weekend!

Pei-Lin said...

Yup, agreed. I try to use good-quality ingredients whenever possible -- so long as I don't go broke. Remember eh ... I'm still a freshie who just started working and be financially on her own pretty much. LOL! As someone who can't tolerate imitation vanilla, I use pure vanilla extract too! Still have a small bottle of it I lugged back from the U.S. 20-ish pods of vanilla beans I purchased in the U.S. too. SO precious, man!

President butter is really good. Have you tried another French butter called "Elle & Vire?" That's a GOOD one, but expensive. Close to RM11~12 per 200g block. The company I'm working for is E&V's distributor in West MY, so as a staff, I often get good deal for French butter. Haha!

Hey, love your lor bak goh! The cookies are cute too! Your girls are SO lucky to have a mom like you ...

ICook4Fun said...

I too try to use the best butter to make plain butter cake but they can be expensive. A piece of Lupark here cost $3.99 so I will usually used Land O Lake :) I love the little cute cookies. I am sure all kids will love eating this. Gosh, the lor pak koh is just too tempting to look at. Now you make me want to make this but I have to put it on hold first. Too warm to be out this weekend. Have a great weekend Bee.

Honey Bee Sweets said...

Hi Pei-Lin, thanks for dropping by again, always love your comment! Hahaha, I know what u mean about no turning back on the vanilla extract. Hey, better still make some yourself my friend! I just made some last last month and now seating in a dark corner of my kitchen cupboard, waiting for it to mature. If we see each other again in early next year again, will pass you a bot yah? Elle and Vire, okay noted, will try it out next time, thanks!

Hi Gert, I used Land O' Lakes too when I was in CA. Heehee, sorry to tempt you with this fried lo pat kou. Hey, unless you like the not fried version, steam carrot cake is also very good too. ;) Hope the heat waves over on your side of the world will ease off soon. Take care friend!

Elin said...

Wow....BeeBee your carrot cake can beat the dim sum shop ....yummy and thank you so much for sharing the recipe. Will try it out one day :)

Honey Bee Sweets said...

Heehee, thanks so much Elin, your comment is making me float! Hope you will try it and like this recipe. Have fun!

MaryMoh said...

Oooh....my favourite there....fried carrot cake slices. It's a long time I have not made them. Need to make soon. Thanks for reminder. The cookies look so pretty. I bet kids will really like them...me too! :P

Honey Bee Sweets said...

Thanks MaryMoh!

quizzine said...

Had a go with this on Sun and it's good! Except i didn't fried it, we ate it steamed ;-) Tks again for sharing >**<

Anonymous said...

Helloo! How to know when the kueh is cooked ?