Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Cream Filled Mini Buns

Those people that are close to me knows that I am totally a "dough" person. Meaning I cannot live without bread period. And close to 1/3 of the cookbooks I own are bread making cook books. Perhaps it's a skill that I wish to perfect some day or just because I simply love eating bread! The ways of making different kinds of bread is boundless! Sorry I get a little excited when it comes to the topic of bread making, lol! Seems like the passion is always there. (More like passion for eating...);) Enough about me, let's talk about today's bread: This post is a new recipe that I have been wanting to try for a long time now. In Mandarin, it's call "爆浆餐包", simple translation will be Cream Filled Buns. (No no, not explosive buns!)
If you have been to those chain bread stores in Singapore mall, you will notice they sell similar mini buns like mine. The bread store usually offers deals like buying 3 or 5 of these mini buns / pastries for a slightly cheaper price. Yeah, I am a big time sucker for those! Will usually pick like a variety especially since my little ones also enjoy those breads too. So this time round, I decided to give this mini cream filled buns a try. Although in the recipe book, there are like 8 different kinds of dough flavor to choose from, I just went with plain. :P Well, I figured that this is my first try, better just play safe a little. As for the filling, I made Oreo cream flavor since I knew the kids will enjoy it much better then plain sweetened cream.

Ingredients for Oreo Cream Filled Mini Buns:
Set A:
174g high protein flour (bread flour)
43g low gluten flour (cake flour)
13g milk powder
7g instant active yeast

Set B:
39g caster sugar
2 g salt
22g whole egg, lightly beaten
100ml water

Set C:
22g butter

Egg wash (1 egg yolk + 1 tbsp water)

Filling:
200ml non-dairy whipping cream
2 tbsp confectioner's sugar
5 pieces of Oreo cookies with cream, blended till crumb stage

Method:
  • In a large mixing bowl, add in all of Set A ingredients in and mix well with a whisk.
  • Add all of Set A flour mixture with Set B ingredients and mix well until it becomes a soft dough.
  • Continue to beat / knead the dough till it reaches elastic and not sticky stage, which can be verified by using the "window stage".
  • Add in the butter in Set C and knead well till mix in.
  • Let the dough proof in a greased bowl and cover it. Allow it to proof for at least 90 minutes until the dough doubles.
  • After proofing, punch out the air and divide the dough to about 40g each. Roll round and seal any open edges and let proof again for another 15 minutes.
  • Preheat the oven to 180C and prepare a baking tray lined with parchment paper.
  • Brush the mini buns with egg wash and bake in the oven for 10 to 12 minutes till golden brown on the surface.
  • Remove from oven and let cool completely. At the meantime, prepare the cream filling. Whip the cream with the powder sugar till triple in volume and stiff peaks. Then gently fold in the Oreo cookie fine coolie crumbs in till evenly blended in. Chill the filling till it is needed.
  • Using a piping bag and 1cm opening tip, pipe the Oreo cream into the cooled mini buns. Try not to squeeze too much filling in as it will ooze out.
These little "babies" look like eggs from far! And as you can see I was greedy and piped in too much cream for some...so it looks like it's about to burst any moment, lol!
A look at the inside....filled with creamy sweet Oreo cream...yum! The buns were delightfully soft and was a good combo with the creamy inside. ;) I can down a couple of these at one shot. ;)
My initial intention was to fill the buns with different flavor of cream filling, like chocolate, cream cheese flavor etc. However I was actually late for preparing for a dinner party that very evening...so I had to forgo the idea and settle with just Oreo flavor. :P A point to note is that these buns need to be consumed within a day if they have already been filled, else the moisture from the cream might get absorbed by the buns....you get the picture. Alternatively, you can use buttercream or fill the buns only before consuming. The buns are actually still soft on the third day. :) If you give this recipe a try, let me know how you like them. ;)

Okay, signing off now...hope you all have a great great day ahead. Cheers all!


27 comments:

WendyinKK said...

The Chinese name fits your bun.
Hahaha!!

Bakericious said...

Bee Bee, from the outlook of the buns, I initially mistaken that you made those penang tau sa pia hee hee hee...
I love the outlook of the buns, so round, smooth and shining. The buns look so soft and with the oreo filling, so seducing. Dun tempt me for making bread, my arms n hands need a break hahaha...

Xiao Yen Recipes said...

Oreo cream filling? My kids would fall in love with this bun instantly. The bun itself looks so moist and light. Looks so yummy!

Happy Homebaker said...

These buns are really soft!!! So, do you need to make a hole in the bun to pipe in the cream, or simply poke the pipping tip into the bun? Please pardon my ignorance ;p

Quinn said...

Bee Bee, I am also very much a dough (plus desserts!!!) and I love kneading them as much as making them from scratch! Your cream filled buns look so good, I must make them and even if I can't finish it, I must bring it workplace, pass to neighbours, feed the dog or something and share the love!!! Thanks, they honestly look very very good. If I come in this blog and don't see breads or buns post, I'd be surprised so keep them rolling in!

Kitchen Corner said...

Hi Bee,
Theses little buns are really cute with the oreo cream filling must be very yummy one! I can feel the softness of the bread. Very good one indeed. I'll try it out when I have the chance to get into my kitchen again.

busygran said...

What cuties they are oozing with creamy cream! Lovely!

Sonia ~ Nasi Lemak Lover said...

These buns are cute and I'm sure they will like the cream too. Thanks for sharing.

J e l e n a said...

oreo filling...that's indulgent...I would eat these while hot...I can just see myself with a tummy ace right now with the filling dripping from my lips....

ReeseKitchen said...

Hey, this is interesting! I will give it a try someday and let you know about it..;)

Pei-Lin said...

Bee Bee, never heard of this but saw something similar before. Is it a rage now in SG?

Haha! I love how you directly translated it ... "Explosive buns" ... *Faint*

I'm your opposite leh here ... I'm starting to run outta ideas as to what to turn my bread and buns into ... Exhausted ... LOL!

Honey Bee Sweets said...

Wendy, you mean the name fits the Oreo buns...not my buns right?!? Lol!

Hi Jess,
Hahaha, I feel so guilty whenever I saw you saying about tempting you with my posts! You are right, I used to knead the bread dough myself and I usually need a few days break after each bread bake...else my arm / wrist will break!!Hahahaha! Yeah horr, looks like tao sa pia leh,didn't realize it! lol!

Honey Bee Sweets said...

Hi Vincent, it'll be my honor! Thought you guys never ask! ;) Will add my blog to your site.

Hi Xiao Yen Recipes! Welcome to my blog. :) Hope you will try this out and let your kids enjoy this. happy Baking!

Honey Bee Sweets said...

Hi HHB,
No no no...no ignorance here. Good question actually, I was wondering that too before I made it myself. Actually, no need to poke holes before you pipe in the filling. Just poke the pipe tip into the bun(any place you fancy) and squeeze away that's all.

Quinn my friend! You really made my day (or night now)! Hahaha, you never (seriously) fail to cheer me up with your comments here. :) You are really a little sunshine you know that? ;) Thanks so much...hope you do try this out and share the bread...share the love. ;)

Honey Bee Sweets said...

Hi dear Grace, how are you doing? Just wondering, you are not at home? On vacation now? How come you say you will try once you get back into the kitchen? Almost sound like you're far from your kitchen?! Anyway, hope everything is well...take care yah!

Thanks busygran. ;)

Honey Bee Sweets said...

Thanks Sonia! If your boys love Oreo, you should definitely give this recipe a try. ;)

Thanks Jelena! Indeed an indulgence...but it's a good one, no guilt involve. ;)

Honey Bee Sweets said...

Hey Reese! How are you my friend...you've been busy lately? Have not seen any email reply from you...hope you are doing well. Do drop me an email to keep me posted yah? Oh yes, try this out, I bet Cheryl will love this.

Hi Pei-Lin! Seriously? But there are so many recipes I am soo waiting to try out you know! Anyway, will be baking 3 loaves tomorrow for some neighbors here...wish me luck!

Angie's Recipes said...

"爆浆餐包" sounds fine...I was so afraid it would be ""爆奶餐包". LOL
Either of which, they look yummy!

kitchen flavours said...

Your buns look so cute and yummy. I'm with you too, I love making bread and have a few books but not very good at it, still in 'the learning process', sometimes when I'm lazy, I will use the bread machine to do the kneading and I'll take it from there! Keep the buns and bread rolling in! Have a nice day!

Happy Homebaker said...

Thanks Bee Bee :) I always learn something new each day!

Honey Bee Sweets said...

Hi Angie, Oh no, if it's "爆奶餐包", then I have quite a bit of mess to clean up every time someone bites into it! ;P

Thanks kitchen flavors! Actually now I am getting more lazy, I let my KitchenAid does all the kneading, lol! Because I can multitask when the machine does the work....really a time saver and an arm saver too, lol!

You are most welcome HHB. :)

ICook4Fun said...

I too thought it was tau sar piah :) I love this type of sweet buns. They look so soft and fluffy and I wish I can just pop it in my mouth. You have a great weekend.

Honey Bee Sweets said...

Thanks Gert! Hope you have a super duper weekend too!

Nadji said...

Je découvre ton blog et j'aime beaucoup tes recettes.
je reviendrai.
Salutations de Paris.
See soon

Honey Bee Sweets said...

Thanks Nadji! Welcome to my blog! Hope you will come visit more often and try out some if the yummy recipes. Have a great weekend!

Quinn said...

Bee Bee,

I just made this for my workplace but will fill tomorrow. I made a black sesame cream to fill, so yummy, sweet and salty!

But I didn't watch the oven and I think I overbake it a bit. But the dough was really nice to work with and it only makes 9 buns of approximately 40g each. Did you made a batch of the recipe or more?

And only proof once? I felt it could be fluffier if it's proofed twice!

Honey Bee Sweets said...

Hi Quinn,
You are right, the recipe only makes about 10 or 9 mini buns. I actually doubled the recipe at that time. :)

MMmmm...black sesame cream...that nutty flavor must be so good! I did let the buns proof for 15 minutes after moulding them. Then I bake them in the oven.

So glad you tried them out Quinn. ;) Hope the next time you try it will be even better. ;)