Thursday, December 17, 2009

Roast Pork, Fried Eggplant with Salted egg & Strawberry Shortcake

So much to do and so little time. That is how I feel everyday now. And counting down the days I have here, I realize I only have 10 days left before I leave. :-P Sometimes this feeling can be really overwhelming and screaming into the pillow isn't gonna help. I wish I can pause the time for awhile, just awhile, for me to appreciate some of the people and stuff surrounding me. *sigh* But I am just avoiding the inevitable isn't it. Sounds like old age, hahaha! Anyway, in the days to come, you will see posts like this, a bundle of stuff I cooked/baked, all post up together for time saving purpose. Today, 2 dishes and a desert. First dish is roast pork, recipe from my dear friend ReeseKitchen. This time is my 2nd attempt making this and I was glad I did not give up and gave it a go again. ;) Because it's pork-a-licious, that's why! To me, a good piece of roast pork must meet the following criteria:
  1. Balance amount of fat and lean meat. Yes, the fat almost melts in your mouth.
  2. Well seasoned but not overpowering so you can still taste the original flavors of pork meat.
  3. Crispy, crackly (not hard) skin, that gives the perfect contrast and texture to the overall taste....mmmmm! (check out the photo below, see the "bubbly" skin)
You must be wondering did I get it? Heehee...I would give myself a 90% score. But all these is not just easy peasy means of achieving this quality. How? 3 days of marination and air dry (no wrapping) in the fridge. The first time I attempted it, I actually skipped a super important part of not air drying it in the fridge....resulting in a relatively hard skin. Please read your instructions (recipe) carefully woman! Anyway, I am pretty contented with it and vow to make it again soon. ;) Thanks Reese! Interested? Head over to ReeseKitchen to check out her secret. :)

Next up is Fried eggplant with salted egg (咸蛋香茄条). This is a simple, easy & delicious dish to whip up anytime of the week. Look out for fresh, firm egg plant, a.k.a. brinjals while in the market, an salted egg and some curry leaves and you are good to go!Ingredients for Fried Eggplant with salted egg:

2 or 1 large eggplant, about 500g
150g cornstarch

2 cups oil for deep frying

2 salted egg yolks, steamed ( I used 1, which is suffice for me)
2 tbsp curry leaves

Seasoning:

1/4 tsp salt

1/4 tsp sugar


Method:
  • Cut the eggplant into wedges and coat it with cornstarch. Deep-fry the eggplant in hot oil until golden brown. Dish and drain.
  • Leave 1 tbsp oil in the wok, add in salted egg yolk (mashed) and stir fry till aromatic. Add in curry leaves, seasoning and stir well.
  • Add in fried eggplant and stir-fry until well mixed. Dish up and serve.
Simple right?
Slight crisp on the outside and soft on the inside and with salty, slight sweet & flavorful taste. Went really well with stream rice, so good! Highly recommended, please try this out. ;)

Yesterday, me and some of my good friends decided to have a mini pot luck cum Christmas party. Yeah, brought forward for my sake, thanks ladies! We brought our little ones and we even have gift exchange too. Not only did the kids had loads of fun, me and my friends had such fun too. Good food and great company, what more can I ask for? Since it's pot luck, I decided to make yam cake and Strawberry Shortcake, my style. You probably think there's nothing so special about Strawberry shortcake, almost anyone knows how. Actually, instead of the usual sweetened whipped cream for the filling, I used custard cream + whipped cream. Result, a much tastier combo!
Justified by my dear friends and their kids, they thought it's great. And I can proudly say it was all gone before the party was over. ;) Yippee! This sponge cake recipe is actually the same one I always use when I do my swiss roll cake. Interested bakers can proceed to here. So instead of 40g plain flour, use 55g and omit the cocoa powder.

Ingredients for custard pudding cream:
375g fresh milk
55g unsalted butter
180g whole egg beaten
15g egg yolk
75g caster sugar
50g cake flour
250ml fresh whipping cream, whipped

Method:
  • In a saucepan, heat up the butter and milk till butter is melted and the milk is almost boiling. Remove from fire.
  • Add sugar and stir well till combine and melted.
  • In another mixing bowl, add eggs and egg yolk together. Then add about 1 tbsp at a time of the milk mixture into the eggs and stir well. After about the 6 to 8th tbsp, add this mixture back into the reminding milk, butter mixture and stir well to combine. (this is an important step as it might cause the whole thing to cuddle, so be extra careful when doing it)
  • Lastly, sift the cake flour in and stir well until combined and no clumps.
  • Continue to cook mixture at low heat till thickens. Then remove from heat and let cool before use.
  • Once cooled, fold in the fresh whipped cream. Chill mixture for an hour before use.
I guess serving this light and refreshing Strawberry shortcake after meals can never go wrong. Be sure to find fresh sweet strawberries, usually the Korean ones are the best. :) Better sign off for now...loads to do. Bon appetit!

4 comments:

ReeseKitchen said...

wei...ur roast pork looks very nice leh...!! How come i dun get to try huh!! Anyway i'm so happy that you like to make it so much..:)

Honey Bee Sweets said...

Haha, made it for my in-laws larr. So all gone already. *sorrie* But you know what, I still think the one you made is the best! ;) Thanks for sharing this wonderful recipe with us!

Sweet Tooth said...

The roast pork and egg plant are so delicious that I feel injustice writing on one comment.

The eggplant may look simple and clean but the pleasant presentation is only the beginning. The sticky texture of the egg plant simply retain both the taste and fragrance of the salted egg yolk on your taste bud. It is gives the feeling of enjoying the whole yolk but without the calories and guilt. This dish is excellent on its own but with a bowl of steaming rice and food utopia is just round the corner. For those who likes eggplant, this dish will really open new adventure to your taste bud.


I believe that there are only 2 ways to enjoy pork belly. Roasted or stewed. The skin of this roast pork is crispy through out and the meat is tender soft and flavourful. The extra days really make the difference. It is comparable with the slow oven baked pork belly at French Laundry. French Laundry is THE west coast Top restaurant rated by Zagat.

Honey Bee Sweets said...

Wow Sweet Tooth, I am totally impressed with your elaborate commentation on the food! I love the fact that you describe every detail sensation you have while eating the eggplant. And you surely over-valued my roast pork by comparing it with French Laundry's, hahaha! ;) But you know what, thanks for being my biggest fan! ;)