Thursday, September 3, 2009

For the Love of the Food

First of all, I welcome you my friend. Thanks once again for coming to my blog to read my post. To tell you the truth, I am always excited every time I puts up a new post. I always wonder who will be nice enough to leave me a comment later or even just drop by to browse through my home made yummies. Truthfully, I am grateful...for the "attention", haha! Having this food blog has really been great for me! It motivates me to cook or bake more "quality" food, by quality I mean delicious and presentable enough to be put up on the internet, haha! And even to try new and interesting recipes which I probably will not do it before. Yes, I try my best. I guess all these is really for the love of the food isn't it? Why not? For something that we need at least 3 times a day, everyday of our life and best yet, for the rest of our life!

Have been trying out a few new recipes here and there this couple of days. First up is this Tangy Stuffed Prawns. I got this recipe from one of my latest cookbook collection "大牌檔" Book 17. Yeah...you wonder when will these guys ever run out of ideas, haha! The key to getting this dish right is to get fresh prawns, meaning you buy it the day you are cooking them. Choose large prawns since you will need to stuff it.
I modified the seasoning and also portioned it to suit my small family. Here is the recipe:

Ingredients for Tangy Stuffed Prawns:
6 to 8 large prawns (mine about 15cm long)
6 to 8 skewers (about 15 cm)
Cooking oil for frying the prawns

Filling:
150g minced meat (I used pork)
1/2 tbsp chopped spring onion
1 water chestnut, peeled and chopped finely

Seasoning:
1/4 tsp salt
Sesame oil and pepper to taste
1 tsp cornflour

Sauce:
1.5 tbsp black vinegar
2 tbsp tomato ketchup
1/2 tbsp light soy sauce

1.5 tbsp sugar

1.5 tbsp water

1/2 tsp chicken seasoning powder(optional)

Method:
  • Put the filling and seasoning into a mixing bowl. Stir well till well combined. Divide it into 6 to 8 portions. Let marinate for 15 minutes.
  • Meanwhile, clean the prawns. Peel only the body part of the prawns, leaving the head and tail intact. Remove vein and cut in butterfly form and slit a small hole right in the middle.
  • Poke the skewers through the prawns from tail to head, to ensure it will stay straight while cooking. Sprinkle some cornflour to help adhere the filling to the prawn.
  • Mold the filling on top of the prawn and sprinkle a little bit more corn flour. Repeat till all prawns are filled.
  • Heat up the cooking oil in the wok. Fry the prawns (filling side down first) at medium fire till it's cooked. This step is crucial, make sure the filling does not fall off the prawn while frying.Remove from wok and drain the oil on paper towels. Transfer on display plate after 5 mins.
  • Meanwhile make the sauce. Mix all the ingredients for the sauce and cook at medium low heat in a pot until thick and bubbly. Drizzle over the prawns. Serve while still hot.
I love the tangy sauce with the sweetness of the fresh prawns...so good with steam rice! My family loves this dish, so I guess it's really worth the trouble to make it for them. ;)

I made some simple Banana Sponge Cake for my daughter's breakfast last night. I am sure if you have a picky little eater at home, you would understand where I'm coming from. My girl simply refuses to take breakfast in the morning. But been a firm believer that is the most important meal of the day...I try my best to make something she can at last enjoy in the morning (when one's least hungry!)I found this recipe from "Fruity Cakes" by Alex Goh. This is probably one of the easiest recipe in that book!

Here's the recipe:

Ingredients for Banana Butter Sponge:
120g caster sugar
1/2 tbsp emulsifier (I omitted it)
4 eggs
120g cake flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
120g mashed banana
1/4 tsp baking soda
85g melted butter

Method:
  • Mix sugar, emulsifier (if using), eggs, cake flour and baking powder together. Beat with hand mixer till light and fluffy.
  • Add mashed banana and baking soda till well combined
  • Stir in melted butter till blended.
  • Preheat the oven at 180°C. Grease cupcake moulds.
  • Pour the batter into the prepared moulds and bake in the oven for 20mins till done.
  • Remove and let cool on rack.
Decided to drizzle some melted chocolate over the cakes since it looked kind of plain to me.
Overall this recipe is okay...not fantastic I would say. Had better banana cakes before. But at least my daughter had it for breakfast this morning*phew*...so I guess mission accomplished. :D

6 comments:

Kitchen Corner said...

Hey, I'm always your supporter! Love your blog very much! My mum got this recipe book too but I didn't read it yet. You're a great cook!

Honey Bee Sweets said...

Thanks so much Grace! You know I love your blog too! Cannot wait to see more yummy post from you. ;) No larr...I am just a great cook-wanna-be, haha!

ReeseKitchen said...

Hey BB,
The prawns look yummy! Yea, you got a good book. I have those books too..:) Remember I told you about the sauce....its from vol 7. Will show you next time when we meet, you'll sure like it!
Btw, the banana cakes is soft and yummy, we finished all this morning for breakfast...thanks alot!

Honey Bee Sweets said...

Thanks Reese,
Those "大牌檔菜" cookbooks never fail to motivate me to try out the recipes. Sometimes I just simply enjoy looking at the pictures of the delicious dishes, haha! Yes...show me Vol. 7 the next time. ;) Thanks!

quizzine said...

I've exactly the same sentiments as you! With a blog, always wanting to put up something better (looking) and trying something new. Jia-you and look forward to more post from you ;-)

Honey Bee Sweets said...

Thanks for the encouragement quizzine! Besides trying to put up a good post, I'm truly fortunate to know you blogger ladies and of course to read your posts too! So everyone Jia You!