Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Potato Gnocchi

I guess when I say the term "Gnocchi"...not many people would be familiar with it. So for the benefit of those who are interested to know a little more about the term gnocchi....read on. It is actually a traditional Italian pasta, usually made with potato, eggs, wheat flour or similar ingredients. It is a thick, soft noodle or dumpling, usually served with tomato or cream sauces, just like any other pasta you would consume. The name in Italian means "lumps", which in actual fact looks more like silk worm cocoons to me, haha! Anyway, look a little closer my friend....to what I am about to show you. Hope you don't loose your appetite! I'll probably shudder if I don't know what is that, haha!

If you wonder why in the world would I ever in my right state of mind want to make such a funny looking pasta...let alone to eat it? Believe me when I say this, " Looks is deceiving." :) If you have ever tasted gnocchi before, especially freshly made ones, you would understand what I mean. One bite and you will feel the smooth and soft texture of the fresh pasta slowly blending into the sauce. It will then ever so nicely melt away in your mouth that will leave you craving for the next bite. Haha...okay, I might be exaggerating a little (just a little), but it is really a simple yet delicious pasta that you can make at home for youself and your family to enjoy!
The first time I encounter gnocchi was watching an Italian ma-ma making it on TV. She makes it look all so easy and delicious! I was sold! I knew I had to try it out after that show. :) I got my recipe from FoodNetworks.com. I have been using this recipe for a long time now, like 3 years now. I used to make it so often, even my elder daughter knows how to make a gnoochi! She is actually a gnocchi number 1 fan! I have portioned the recipe so that it is just enough for a small family. :)

Ingredients for Potato Gnocchi:
1 pound russet potato, boiled, peeled and mashed while still warm
75g all purpose flour

1/2 whole egg, lightly beaten
1/4tsp salt

Method
:
  • In the center of the mashed potato, add flour, salt and egg. Mix everything together to form a soft dough.
  • Set a pot of water to boil. Also prepare a big bowl of ice water to cool the pasta after it is removed from the boiling water.
  • Divide the dough into half and work with one half first. Roll the dough into a long rod of about 1cm in diameter. Using a kitchen scraper, cut the rod into small cubes.
  • Using either a fork or the gnocchi board (or gnocchi paddle as shown below), roll the small cubes on the fork/tool to get the ridges on it's body. Purpose of doing that to create the grooves on the pasta, so as to let the sauces can adhere to it more easily. Nice!
  • Boil the gnocchi in the boiling water for about 1 minute. Those that are cooked will float to the top. Scoop out and shock the cooked pasta in ice water till completely cooled down.
  • You can serve it now with your favorite pasta sauce or you can refridgerate the gnocchi up to 48hrs before serving.
It might not look that appealing or appetizing to you, mainly because I am really not good at garnishing my dishes! But nothing beats fresh homemade pasta...it's REALLY good. ;) Perhaps next time I should make fresh fettuccine (haven't done that for awhile), that would be such a treat! In any case, be adventurous! Try out this potato gnocchi today! Have fun. ;)

4 comments:

Kitchen Corner said...

I know this potato gnocchi which is an Italian cuisine. Seldom people especially Asian like to eat this, but I'm quite like it :P You've done something very special this time! Cheers!

Honey Bee Sweets said...

Thanks Grace! If you have not tasted freshly made gnocchi, you should try it..it's good, just like any fresh handmade pasta. :) Have a great day!

Talita said...

Potato gnocchi is my favorite!! So delicious!!

Honey Bee Sweets said...

Hi Talita,
Oh yes, you know what I mean then when I say it smooth, light and melt in your mouth. ;) I guess nothing beats fresh pasta. ;) BTW, welcome to my blog!