Monday, August 24, 2009

Ariana Swiss Roll

I am currently undergoing something I would call "mood-less" situation. Sounds familiar to any one of you out there? I feel so lazy and unmotivated lately. Do not have the mood to make or bake anything interesting at all. Just wishing time would swish by faster and sweep this staleness away. I would catch myself staring at nothing at times of the day, lost in thoughts or things that people tell me face to face but did not really register into my mind. Geeze! And the funny part is when I was talking to a few of my friends...they seems to be experiencing this similar "mood-less" thingy. They told me they haven't been baking for awhile too...must be something in the air. :-P

My girls has been asking me to bake a cake for them...."a pretty cake with pink icing on it!" That is what they usually ask for. :) Since I'm in this lousy mood, all I can concoct out was a Swiss roll, haha. To make it more attractive (to my girls)...I added coloring to the batter to create this "wanna-be" Ariana Swiss roll.
I have to admit it was not very nicely done. Good thing my little ones were still very impressed with it and likes the colors in the cake. ;) They even label it "rainbow cake", haha! I got this recipe from Yochana's blog, so interested bakers can proceed to her link. Unfortunately mine did not turn out anything close to Yochana's, haha. But I have to give myself some credit for taking the courage to make it for the first time!
The sponge cake turned out really soft and goes really well with the fresh whipped cream. I guess the main difference in my recipe is I used fresh whipping cream verses buttercream. Since me and my girls love fresh sweetened whipped cream, it was an obvious choice to go with it in this cake. That kinds of explain the thick layer of yummy cream in the roll itself, haha!
We each devour a thick slice after dinner. I was glad I kept it simple and not adding more decorations or icing over the swiss roll because it was already very tasty. Anyway, I really need to brush up my technique on baking sponge cakes...looks kind of flat to me...don't you think?! Nevertheless, will attenpt this again, perhaps twigging it to have chocolate batter in it. :)

10 comments:

Kitchen Corner said...

Hi Honey Bee Sweets,
Hope you alright there! The swiss roll looks lovely, I know children will definately like it. Look forward to read more great baking from you ok. Cheers!

Honey Bee Sweets said...

Thanks for the concern Grace. Just need a little motivation that's all. :) Your kind comment is one of them, thanks!

Kitchen Corner said...

May be you could make some of your expertize desserts for me as I'm in KL now :P That might be able to motivate you hehee...just kidding!

ReeseKitchen said...

Wei wei.....the swiss roll is nice!! Hmm.....wish i can taste it now...:(
Can teach me this too?? Hee hee! See u soon....:)

Honey Bee Sweets said...

Really Grace? You wanna come over to my place? I'm in PJ. I'm free tomorrow! Come larr, just email me:

beebeeoh@gmail.com

Let me know ok. ;)

Honey Bee Sweets said...

Hi Reese,
Haha, nice meh...thanks anyway. ;D Sure, you come back first then can do it together larr. See you soon.

Unknown said...

Hey, not bad at all. Not motivated also can come up with so many lovely bakes (char siu bao, swiss roll...)
Can't wait to see what you conjure up when you're in full steam :)

Hang in there! Here for you if you need company or simply for a chat :)

Honey Bee Sweets said...

Haha, ai ya Ee Peng, can don't make me pai se? The swiss roll not round and also quite flat...where got nice? Thanks my friend...definitely will look you up when I want to have a good chat...don't we always when we're both logged in Gmail? See you soon!

Passionate About Baking said...

Hi HBS,
Don't despair! In life, our achievements are not measured by our failures, but by the fact that we tried! At least we try isn't it? Your swiss rolls are beautiful for a 1st timer, no worries. Just do one more time, you'll be as good as "her"! ;) Good try BB!

Honey Bee Sweets said...

Thanks Jane for the encouragement! Actually I don't think one more time and I'll be close to "her" work...she's too expert already! Anyway, it's just for the fun of it, so no pressure on myself larr, nice to eat can already, haha!