I am sure most of you have tasted almond cookies before. I would say a good recipe should be those that will slowly melts in the mouth. It should have a faint almond fragrant and sweet buttery after taste. I don't really fancy those that has almond essence nor small almond chunks in them. The essence taste artificial & those chunky almond bits get stuck in my teeth! If I say I like almond cookies, it is an understatement...I can chow down a tub all by myself if I am not watching my waistline, lol! But hey, looking on the brighter side, almonds has so many health benefits, it's alright to indulge in it right?
It is essential you get whole blanched almonds for this. Roast them and then grind them to fine powdery texture. If you choose to use store bought fine almond flour, it should be okay if you know the store has fresh stock every time. Else those almond powder that has been shelved too long will loose its fragrant and might even have an old stale taste to it. :P
Ingredients for Almond cookies
250g whole blanched almonds
- Roasted at 200C for 10 minutes till slightly golden. Let cool completely then grind it till very fine.
100g plain flour
120g cake flour
1 tsp baking powder
95g confectioner's sugar
1/2 tsp fine salt
100 - 120 ml peanut oil (add enough to make a soft dough)
50g melted unsalted butter
Egg wash for glazing (omit if you want it vegetarian version)
- In a large mixing bowl, sift both flours & baking powder in. Then sift in the confectioner's sugar and salt. Now add in the grind almond and mix well.
- Add in both peanut oil and melted butter. Stir the whole mixture until it comes together to form a soft pliable dough.
- Preheat the oven to 170C.
- At this point you can choose to cut out or shape the dough into rounds as desired. Lay them on a baking tray lined with parchment paper. Repeat till all the dough has been shaped out.
- Glaze the cookie tops with egg wash.
- Bake the cookies in the oven for 15-18 minutes till light golden brown.
- Remove from oven and let cool before storing. Enjoy!
Don't ask me how many of these cookies I have eaten...I've already lost count, lol! I had to seal the tubs to stop myself from sneaking a few cookies ever so often!
Even though I baked double the above recipe, it still seems not enough. :P Anyway, I doubt I have the leisure to bake another batch for CNY...since I still have a few more cookies to bake!
Okay folks, gonna go bake more cookies...until next time, happy baking all!