Thursday, January 31, 2013

Negeri Sembilan MFF : Seremban Siew Pau

Okay, I will keep this post short since I am pretty tight down by other stuff. Why bother if I'm so busy? Well, I meant to bake and put up this post earlier this week, but waited till this very last day of the month!! *sucks to be so busy* Nevertheless, here it is, my version of Seremban Siew Pau, in support of this month's MFF, featuring Negeri Sembilan.
This is the 2nd time I attempted this. Frankly speaking I can't really remember how it was back when I first did it, but at least I remember the taste was not bad, lol! Anyway, here is the new version of this Siew Pau:

Ingredients (makes 12 pau)
Ingredients for Char Siew filling:300g Char siew pork, chopped finely (store bought)
6 shallots*, sliced thinly and fried till golden brown
Seasonings:
120ml water

2 tbsp light soy sauce

1 tbsp oyster sauce

1 tsp dark soy sauce

2.5 tbsp sugar

1 tbsp tapioca flour

1 tbsp corn flour

1 tsp plain flour
  • In a large mixing bowl, add all the seasoning ingredients together and mix well.
  • In the saucepan with medium low heat, add the seasoning mixture and cook till it thickens.
  • Add the chopped char siew pork and fried shallots and stir till well combined.
  • Off the fire and dish up to cool till ready to use. This can be made ahead of time and kept in the fridge for 24 to 48 hrs. 
For making the pastry skin: (recipe adapted from Carol's "The First Book of Noodles for Beginners)
(Water Dough)
95g plain flour
15g confectioner's sugar
20g vegetable oil (I used ghee)
50ml water
  • In a large mixing bowl, add flour, confectioner's sugar, and ghee/oil then add the water to form a soft dough.
  • Knead dough until it's not sticky and smooth, about 5-6 minutes.
  • Let dough rest for 30 minutes and cover with plastic wrap.
  • Divide the dough into 15g each.
(Oil Dough)
90g cake flour
30g vegetable oil
  • Mix the shortening into the cake flour. It will feel crumbly at first, but continue to knead to form a dough that is pliable.
  • Divide the dough into 10g each.
  • Roll the water dough flat enough to encase the oil dough inside. Place oil dough inside water dough, cover and seal the edges.
  • Then press and roll out the combined dough into long flat oval. Then start rolling in from one end to make the dough like a swiss roll. Cover let rest for 10 minutes.
  • Then again repeat by taking a portion and roll it flat into a long rectangle and then roll it up from the short end into a swiss roll.
  • Using your rolling pin, roll out the dough into a roll disc at least 10cm diameter.
  • Place 1 heaping tablespoon of the filling in middle of the dough. Gathering the edges of the dough into top middle, pinching the edges together to seal up the top.
  •  
  • Preheat oven to 180°C.
  • Brush the surface of each Siew Pau with egg wash and sprinkle some sesame seeds on top.
  •   
  • Bake in the oven for 20-23 minutes till golden brown. Remove from oven and let cool before serving.
I was very please with the siew pau. Although can't compare with the original Siew Pau in Seremban, but it was still tasty. ;) The filling was flavorful and the crust was crisp and flaky! As you can see, I might have over-filled the pau which causes the yummy char siew oozing out, waste! Lol!
Indeed packed full of yummy char siew~! Will reheat it in the oven (140C for 10 mins) next morning to have it for my breakfast with a cup of coffee. ;) 

I am happy to submit this post to this month's Malaysia Food Fest, Negeri Sembilan month hosted by Hody of Cook 4 you & me.

Okay, all have a great weekend ahead! Happy baking NY goodies that is, lol!


12 comments:

鲸鱼蓝蓝蓝 said...

你真的太厉害了
在那么忙碌的日子里
还有时间弄这个
了不起:)

Chef and Sommelier said...

Hi Bee! Cute little Paus... I bet they taste good too!

ann low said...

Your Siew Pau looks very delicious! Will bookmark this recipe after CNY.
Thanks for sharing!

Anonymous said...

I love the char siew oozing out of the pastry. It's so appealing.
Thanks for sharing. Janet.

Unknown said...

Your siew bao looks delicious! Especially that last photo.

Angie's Recipes said...

Absolutely droolworthy!

lena said...

hello bee, the oozing filling makes my mouth water! Very nice buns. Never tried baking with ghee, do you find the pastry lighter using ghee?

Sonia ~ Nasi Lemak Lover said...

if i could eat this siew pau for my supper now, must be very nice, hehehe!

dairyandcream said...

Hello Honey Bee Sweets,

Nice to meet you on Instagram! Your baking photos are amazing. Hope to read more of your yummy posts!

Have a great weekend!
dairyandcream

Grace M. Simmons said...

Hello Honeybee sweets,
What a present surprise to us! Yummy!! I can't control my mouth. I must try this.

Cathleen said...

Wow, these look so good!! I must try this sometime!

Amy said...

I love Char-Siu Bao and yours looks wonderful and scrumptious. I make them from time to time...but only with basic bread dough. I love the way you close the dough so it's beautiful on top too. :)