Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Seremban Hakka mee - Seremban MFF

If you live in Singapore or Malaysia, I am sure that you are familiar or even tasted  "Ba Cho Mee" (肉挫面) which is essentially means minced pork noodle. This local delight can be found in essentially any hawker place in Singaproe. But my first time tasting the all traditional Seremban Hakka Mee was when I was staying in Petaling Jaya a few years back. This little store nicely hidden in a place call Arman Suria, sells the best Char Siew Fun (roast pork / BBQ pork rice) I have ever tasted...serious! The meat and fat literally melts in your mouth! And their other best seller was their Seremban Hakka mee. It was super delish! And frankly the taste is quite different from the version in Singapore. And every time I visit KL, that store is a must go, lol!

When I saw this month's MFF featuring Seremban, I was delighted! Knowing that there will be fellow Malaysian bloggers posting up this Hakka mee recipe, haha! But little did I know, there was already a good recipe around from Baby Sumo. :) And she has conveniently used Cintan instant noodle in place of the traditional Hakka noodle, I like! (Knowing that I won't be able to find the latter, lol!) So here it is, my Seremban Hakka Mee.

Since I made this for my little ones as lunch, I have decided to omit the step of making the pickled green chillies. I know I know...what a loss! But I swear I will do it the next time, heehee. :D I will repost the recipe for easier reference next time. Thanks to Baby Sumo for this great recipe!

Ingredients for Seremban Hakka Mee (Serves 4)
4 servings of  non-fried flat noodle (I used Cintan instant noodles)
250g ground pork
4-5 pieces of dried shitake mushrooms, soaked and diced
4 garlic cloves, minced
2 tbsp cooking oil
2 tbsp fish sauce
2 tbsp soy sauce
1 tsp chicken stock seasoning
1 tsp sugar for taste (optional)
Enough water for the mince pork gravy (about 300ml)
1/2 tsp sesame oil (optional)
  • In a large wok, heat the oil over medium high heat. Add the minced garlic and stir fry for 2 minutes till fragrant. 
  • Add in the minced pork and stir fry for 2 minutes. Add in fish sauce, soy sauce, chicken stock seasoning & sugar and stir in well. Lastly add in the water and let the meat stew over low heat for 10 minutes. Feel free to add more water if more sauce is desired.
  • Bring a pot of water to the boil and cook the noodles for 3 minutes,or until al dente. Drain and divide into two bowls. Sprinkle some sesame oil over the cooked noodles and toss to coat.
  • To serve, top the noodles with the minced pork with gravy, and some spring onions. Serve while still hot.
I love the addition of fish sauce in the meat sauce...really brings out the wonderful flavor, yum yum. By the way, I added a bit of sugar to balance off the taste, and it worked pretty well for me. :) And the addition of sesame oil in the noodle also makes it more fragrant. :) But all these are optional...base on your own preference of course.
Now, a look at the picture just want to make you say "Ahhh..." Lol! I really enjoyed this dish, will definitely cook it again. Thanks again Baby Sumo. ;)

I am happy to submit this post to Malaysia Food Fest, Negeri Sembilan month hosted by Hody of Cook 4 you & me.


13 comments:

Chef and Sommelier said...

Hi Bee! Very nice comfort food.. The noodle looks springy and al dente... just the way I like...

Angie's Recipes said...

A Chinese version of spaghetti bolognaise ;-) Delish!

Mich Piece of Cake said...

Oooo, makes me crave another bowl!

Baby Sumo said...

Glad you enjoyed this! Next time make the pickled green chilli too, I assure you that you will love it even more :)

鲸鱼蓝蓝蓝 said...

我的老家怡保也是有一家很好味道的,现在开始想念了~~

Sonia ~ Nasi Lemak Lover said...

simple yet delicious, one plate for me please ^_^

ann low said...

Simply delicious! Can share with me ?

gourmet gift basket said...

wow that's great info about Seremban Hakka mee - Seremban MFF, I am really happy to read this beautiful post. thanks for sharing.

Logan Charlton said...

Yummy, The recipe is very sweet & looking Yummy. Thanks for teaching such a good recipe.

My Little Space said...

Howdy Bee Bee! Your Hakka mee looks really delicious. Simply adore the meaty gravy. Wish I have more time to visit you all. Life has been extremely hectic especially after school reopened.
Blessings, Kristy

Rumbling Tummy said...

looks springy and delicious!

lena said...

good morning bee, i sure would love a plate of hakka mee now!Ipoh here do has a few nice hakka mee stalls but dont know how different from the famous seremban ones..hope one day i can try the famous hakka mee from seremban!

iwrahost said...

nice info about Seremban Hakka Mee,too good and delicious. iwarahost