Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Aspiring Bakers #1: Dark Chocolate Chiffon Cake

School holiday is just around the corner and somehow this year I am equally as excited as my kids for it's arrival. :)) First of all, no more early early mornings and no more rushing to chauffeur the kids to and fro school. Of course besides this, the best incentive is having to enjoy a couple of getaways with the family. Besides that, the excitement to be able to see my good friends back in KL again is pretty much indescribable. These ladies has been a lively support throughout my 2nd half of stay there. I am proud to say that they are gem of gems that are hard to come by. But due to my daily duties, I am unable to catch up with them as much as I hoped. Nevertheless, they are always there for me, which undoubtedly what a true friend should be. Hopefully I will be able to do much catching up with them during my short visit. :)

Back to today's post. I am actually participating in Small Small baker's Aspiring Baker chiffon cake event. I made Dark chocolate Chiffon Cake this time. The choice was actually "aspired" by the recent inquires from some of readers. The interest in Chocolate chiffon was pretty high and seems like there are quite a number of unsuccessful attempts out there in making Chocolate chiffon.
Thus I decided to give this a go again, my version. :) I did a little research, reading recipes and came up with this. I just hope it will work out fine for you as well. :))

Ingredients for Dark Chocolate Chiffon Cake:
Egg Yolk Mixture
90g Valrohna chocolate(70%)
150ml vegetable oil

80g egg yolk
100g caster sugar
165ml milk (water should be fine)
70g plain flour
70g cake flour
30g Valrohna cocoa powder

Egg White Mixture
255g egg white
80g caster sugar
1/4 tsp cream of tartar

Method:

  • In a saucepan, heat up the vegetable oil at medium high heat, then add in the chocolate and stir till all the chocolate melts and well combined. Add in the sugar and stir till melted. Turn off the fire and let cool.
  • In another large mixing bowl, add in the egg yolks and beat gently with the milk till combined. Then stir the chocolate mixture and mix well.
  • Lastly, sift in the plain flour, cake flour and salt into the chocolate egg batter. Mix till no lumps and well combined. The mixture will be slightly thicken but till runny. Set aside till needed.
  • Preheat the oven to 175C and prepare a 25cm tube pan.
  • Beat the egg whites with cream of tartar till foamy. Then beat at medium high speed and gradually add in the caster sugar while beating the egg whites. Beat till the whites are stiff peaks. To check for "doneness", just make sure when you turn the whole bowl upside down, the whites stay put. :) Sounds a little scary, but it is the best way. ;)
  • Gently fold in the whites in to the chocolate batter in 3 or 4 separate portions till all in folded in and no visible whites.
  • Bake the cake in the preheated oven for 35 to 40 minutes till the tester comes out clean.
  • Remove from oven and immediately cool the tube pan upside down with the correct support. Cool completely before removing from pan and slicing.
Doesn't this shot looks a little dreamy? Lol! I guess it comes to no surprise to some of you that I am using Valrohna again, lol! But please feel free to use any dark baking chocolate of your choice. ;))
This cake is very soft and tender, and it simply melts away once you bite into it. It's texture is not as 'bouncy' as normal chiffon cake, perhaps it's the amount of oil I added in. Else I think its the plain flour used here. Either way, I love it! My family loves it too. My daughter had this for a whole week straight and yet not tired of it. ;)

Hope you will give this a go. Gonna end this post by wishing all our Muslim friends a wonderful Haji this Wednesday. ;) Enjoy your holiday!

24 comments:

Shirley @ Kokken69 said...

I can sense it already! Even blogging scene is more quiet! I guess everyone's packing up for holiday! Nice entry!

j3ss kitch3n said...

soft and fluffy delicious!

ReeseKitchen said...

The Chiffon was so tall and who can resist a chocolate flavour one! I'll be trying this out since I still have some Valrhona Chocolate.
Btw, you can really relax for this coming holiday but not me..:(

DG said...

Perfect baked chocolate chiffon cake! Looks yummy, one slice for me pleaseee ... :p

Sonia ~ Nasi Lemak Lover said...

WOW, your chiffon look tall and fluffy, good choice for entry.

Kitchen Corner said...

Hey Bee, very nicely baked chiffon. Tall, soft and fluffy! Very successful!

DSdiva said...

Delicious and fluffy, real chiffon,I would like a slice :)

Passionate About Baking said...

You've got a very high and fluffy chocolate chiffon cake. Looks very nice. I've not done any chocolate chiffon since my failure last time. Heehee...I'll give yours a try. Thanks very much for sharing!

ICook4Fun said...

Dark, soft and fluffy and who can resist that. Wish I can have a slice with my milo now :)

lena said...

bee, this really rise up tall and nice and looks soft too!

WendyinKK said...

Valrhona is too too expensive here.
I'll just make do with Van Houten, hahaha.

Honey Bee Sweets said...

Thanks Shirley. Yeah, you felt it too huh...less post and less comments posted....everyone is in holiday mood!

Thanks Jess for your kind support!

Hey Reese, thanks! How come you cannot enjoy? If you are worried about the com in orientation for your girl, ai ya, no sweat lah! You send her to school then you're a free bird again! Then take a mini nap in the afternoon to catch up your beauty sleep yah. :))

Thanks DG! Hahaha, sure sure, I will give you two slices plus a cup of hot tea...

Honey Bee Sweets said...

Thanks Sonia! Ain't a competition, so I guess it's purep
Ly for the fun of it and also participating In something I totally enjoy doing, baking chiffon!

Thanks again Grace!

Welcome to my blog DSdiva! Hope you will come visiting again. Thanks for your compliment!

Thanks Jane, hope you will be successful in making this chocolate chiffon....muse let me know how it turns out yah!

Honey Bee Sweets said...

Heehee, Gert, you will be having a double dose of chocolate treat....chocolate chiffon and Milo, I like!

Thanks so much Lena!

Honey Bee Sweets said...

@Wendy, you are right, every time I go back to KL, may friend would always ask me to buy Valrona for them, hehehe. Hey, for all your know, Van Houton might just turn out just as good!

Chef Bee said...

You had me at the title. Dark Chocolate Chiffon Cake, all my favorite words. Great job, looks wonderful.

Plan B

My Restaurants Melbourene said...

this cake looks so light and fluffy. great job

Small Small Baker said...

Thanks for joining, Bee! So far you are the only one who has baked a chocolate chiffon. It looks delicious! :)

elpi said...

love cake. .any kind of cake! chiffon is soft and delicious! I would love to make it:)

Sanjeeta kk said...

Love the beautiful texture of this chocolaty indulgence. Lovely clicks.

Honey Bee Sweets said...

Thanks for dropping by Chef B! And yes, it is all my favorite too!

Thanks My Restaurants Melbourene. :))

It's my pleasure small small baker. I am already looking forward to December's event! Hope I still get to bake it since I have 2 birthday cakes to bake and will be away for the 2nd half of Dec till Jan.

Honey Bee Sweets said...

Thanks for visiting my blog and leaving a comment. :) Hope you get to bake this chiffon and enjoy it.

Thanks Sanjeeta kk! Actually I need to brush up on my photography, lol! But thanks for your support!

Pei-Lin said...

Bee Bee, the chiffon looks promising to me nonetheless!! I can sense the chiffon round-up in the MY-SG blogosphere already. HAHA!

Enjoy your stay back in KL! I'm sure it's gonna be a blast! Take care! Rest more during the break!

Quay Po Cooks said...

A successful "Walking Tall" chiffon cake! Good job!