Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Homemade Soy Milk & Vegetarian Soy Milk Whole wheat Bread

I have always wanted to make soy milk at home. Call me silly, but I always thought that it requires a soy milk machine or something to blend the milk out. Well, I was so wrong, lol! Great thing Wendy posted the recipe for making soy milk and the 'mystery' was gone, yippee!! It didn't take me long to buy a pack of soy beans and got to make fresh soy milk...at home! :) You must be thinking why bother with so much trouble if soy milk is so darn cheap outside. Well, it's hard to explain, but being able to make it yourself is fun! And furthermore, I know I am able to churn out more stuff with the soy milk later too. :)) Exciting!
And after making the soy milk myself then I realize that it's so darn easy to make it!After tasting my homemade soy milk, I am hooked! Think I will never buy another box of soy milk at the grocer ever again, lol! Up from the point I knew how to make it, I've already done it thrice! Which is all within this month, lol! As tempted as I already am, I still did not make the tofu with the soy milk. Why...somehow I always have some store bought tofu / egg tofu in the fridge (I always have tofu in stock since my family love tofu) I guess that should be all the more reason I should make tofu at home. Well, perhaps next month another post yah?

Recipe adapted from Wendy's blog
Ingredients for Soy Milk:
150g soy beans
750ml water + 750ml water
2 to 3 knotted pandan leaves

Method:
  • Soak the soy beans overnight or at least 8hrs. Throw away the soaking water. Use your fingers to loosen the skin of the beans. Then using a sieve to scoop it out. If it doesn't bother you, you can skip the step of removing the skin. But it is known that the skin of the beans can cause joint pains.
  • Put all the beans into a blender with 750ml water at high speed. Blend until very fine, for about 2 minutes.
  • Pour the blended beans puree into a fine sieve bag and press to extract the soy milk into a pot.
  • Place the soy mixture into the blender again and repeat the blending process with another 750ml water, then extract milk to the pot.
  • Add a couple of knotted pandan leaves into the pot and start boiling the soy milk. Keep a watchful eye over it as it over boils and flows out very rapidly. Serve warm or chilled.
I made quite a bit so I divide half of the soy milk to add different sweetening syrup. One was with plain white sugar and the other was with gula melaka. However I didn't like the gula melaka version since the taste was a bit off and over powering.
But after chilling it for a few hours in the fridge, it was still acceptable. Although I still recommend using plain white sugar if you like the traditional soy milk taste. I like mine chilled and having it with something savory like carrot cake or simply just bread (soy milk bread) is a breakfast bonus. Yum!!:)
Talking about bread, I bet those that follow my blog would not be surprise that I will make soy milk bread, lol! Being a soy milk fan, it does make sense to try out making bread from it. :)) Furthermore, I did see some bloggers out there already attempted that...so it should be pretty good. ;) Let me correct it...it's not good, it's great!
Ingredients for Vegetarian Tang Zhong “湯種" Soy Milk Bread:
Starter dough (“湯種"):
250ml fresh soy milk (you can use store bought sugar free ones)
50g cake flour

Main dough:
200g of starter dough
420g bread flour
80g wholemeal flour
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp instant active yeast
45g caster sugar
240ml fresh soy milk (you can use store bought sugar free ones)
40g vegetable oil
30g butter @room temperature

Method:

  • Mix all dough ingredients except for butter together in a large mixing bowl to form a soft dough. Place on work area to knead or mixer to do the kneading. Knead the dough till it is not sticky, about 20 minutes.
  • Add the unsalted butter in and continue to knead till the dough is shiny and elastic. To test if the dough is ready, pull a small piece off and stretching it with your fingers. If dough is very elastic and pulls to almost see through without breaking, then it's done.
  • Place dough in a greased bowl and cover with plastic wrap and allow to proof for at least 90 minutes to 2hrs.
  • Once it's doubled, punched out the air and divide the dough to 65g portions, roll round and cover to let rest for 10 minutes before shaping.
  • Fill the dough with any desired filling. Let proof for another 20 mins, brush with egg wash. Bake @ 175C in a preheated oven for 15 to 18minus till golden brown.
The first time I made these soy milk bread, for fillings I used black sesame paste, chocolate paste and cream cheese with dried cranberries. Some left over dough were used to make mini hot dog buns. The second time I made soy milk buns, I used red bean paste and also a small raisin loaf, upon request by my girls. :)
There is a nice evident smell of soy milk in the buns and loaf which I really like. ;) I like eating the raisin loaf the best as it can be enjoyed without any spread, but with nice sweet compliments from the raisins and still able to taste the soy milk in it. :) However, if you are not a fan of soy milk, feel free to substitute it with plain milk, it'll taste real good too. :)

A picture to show the softness of the soy milk buns. :)) What best is it's vegetarian and it's wholewheat too! Hope this post can get you really motivated to make some soy milk and breads at home. :) It's really worth every ounce of effort. :) I know for sure that I will be making more of these, perhaps trying out black beans next time, that would be really interesting! So stay tune folks!

Have a good week ahead all! Cheerios!

24 comments:

WendyinKK said...

Glad you made your own soy milk. It's so so so much cheaper than to buy it outside and you can use organic beans to prepare it for your family.
I've always thought that bread made with soy milk will turn darker, but hey no, u busted my myth!!

Kitchen Corner said...

Wow Bee! You're really hardworking, make your own soy milk. I always feel it's really troublesome so normally will buy organic soy milk powder :P Really admire your passion!

busygran said...

This is so healthy and so full of goodness! I use soy milk in my curries and even laksa.

lena said...

seeing you making the soy milk and elin on the au foo fah really tempted me to make this..must go and check wendy's blog too on this. Hey, your bread looks wonderfully soft..thank you so much for sharing this recipe using soy milk!!

NEL, the batter baker said...

wah! Sure looks really soft and fluffy! I'm drooling just looking at the pictures. haha :)

Angie's Recipes said...

Homemade soya milk tastes the best! Some of your milky buns and a large cup of the homemade soya drink...mmm..life couldn't be better.

ICook4Fun said...

I am just too lazy to make my own soy milk. Soaking the beans, blending, straining etc just too much for me. Just get a box from the supermarket :) The bread look so soft. Great idea in replacing the water with soy milk.

ReeseKitchen said...

This is very nice! I should give it a try to make my own soy milk for the coming "tang yuan" festival..:)
Ooo about your bread, always the best!! I too made some bread today, and everytime when I'm making bread...I always think of you...haha!

ann low said...

WOW! Look great and healthy! I want to make soy milk too :))

Anonymous said...

i am totally with you on homemade foods. Making something from scratch not only provide satisfaction, they are also free of preservatives and chemicals!

E. said...

My dad used to make soy milk too! It was fun watching him, but now he doesn't have time. Now, my aunt makes it because it's cheaper than buying it from the store. The wheat bread looks very good! Very soft. I think my favorite is the heart shaped bun. I wish I could taste it. I want to try this out soon because I just recently bought some whole wheat flour AND I ordered the pan from Amazon. :) It should be arriving on Thursday, I can't wait. I'll be able to try out all your yummy bread bakes.

Elin Chia said...

Bee Bee....I shall make my own soy milk one day :) and thanks for sharing this soy milk bread . I will try using soy milk to make buns since yours turned out so well. Have a great day Bee...hope to meet up again when Quinn and Gertrude are back for CNY :)
Cheers,
Elin

DG said...

Healthy bread and drink from home :) I love to see all your breads, you always produce soft & fluffy breads.

Sanjeeta kk said...

I do make soy milk at home, but never tried baking bread out of it. Sounds healthy and very innovative. Lovely idea and good click.

Sonia ~ Nasi Lemak Lover said...

homemade soy milk is easy, but I still too lazy to prepare it at home, hehehe..These look so healthy and good.

Honey Bee Sweets said...

@Wendy: All thanks to u! But glad that I help break a myth for u too, lol! Okay, gonna try organic soy beans next time.

@Grace: thanks Grace! No lah, I was very curious so give it a try. It's not at all difficult, so maybe u can try it out next time.

@busygran: really? Wow I didn't know soy milk can also be used in curries too. Ok, will try it nex time....sounds really healthy!

Honey Bee Sweets said...

@Lena: glad I have motivated you to try it out yourself, heehee. Do let me know how yours turned out!

@NEL: thanks! Hope you will try this too, very nice wo, heehee. :)) Btw, have I told u iove your profile picture, hahaha, your cat is just too cute!

@Angie: you said it! It's all about homemade...with love, and getting to enjoy the fruits of labor later, yum!

Honey Bee Sweets said...

@Gert: Hahaha, you know I used to thunk like you too! But after making mine at home, my perception changed completely! Hope you will change your mind about it..it's not all hard my friend. :))

Reese! you should yah! That is such an excellent idea to make it with the tang yuan, yum yum, making me drool just by thinking about it, hahaha! Must post up ahhh!

@Ann : You should you should, it's delicious, healthy and cheap...can't think of anything bad about it...well maybe the washing, lol!

Honey Bee Sweets said...

Thanks crustabakes! You said exactly how I feel....I guess we all bloggers do too. :)

@Esther: I am so excited for you! The Pullman loaf is gonna be a baking joy. Hope to see more post on breads from you. :)

Elin, thanks for dropping by. I am also looking forward to our next gathering too. You are so right, I am already planning to to go KL during CNY next year, Lol!

Honey Bee Sweets said...

Thanks DG, I am truly a bread addict...must bake some bread once a week, lol!

Thanks Sanjeeta! You should definitely try making bread witty it...it functions just like normal milk. :)

Sonia, if you say you are too busy to make it, I would believe u. But if you say you are lazy...very hard to believe yeh. It is really not that troublesome...try it sometime ok?

Jo said...

There's nothing like home made soy milk. My mum used to make this a lot when we were younger and it was really thick. Good stuff! Also your bread looks so delicious and fluffy .. yum as well.

Honey Bee Sweets said...

Thanks Jo. :) hope you will make some too. Have a good weekend!

Anonymous said...

Does this bread recipe not require yeast? If it does, how much yeast should we add to the starter dough and main dough? Thank you~

Honey Bee Sweets said...

Hi Anonymous, thanks for pointing that out. :) I have made the necessary amendments.