Lately I have been thinking of remaking one of my favourite dishes; Lemongrass chicken. Yes remake because I have actually attempted it twice and blogged about it twice too! Once here and the other time here. So why this again? Am I saying the past 2 recipes ain't good enough?! Okay, the first recipe requires baking the chicken in the oven... for a quick cook like me, I usually try not to go to that unless absolutely necessary. Save power! 2nd recipe....well it comes from a packet huh huh. :P So yes, this post will be a pan cooked version with a marinating sauce that is made from scratch, woohoo! With the raving reviews from my family, I decided that it is high time I get this recipe up here to share with everyone.
I used HappyCall pan to cook the chicken wings, which actually help seal the flavour and moisture in the meat. But of course you can use any non stick pan to cook this, shouldn't be a problem.
Recipe for Lemongrass Chicken Wings
15 mid joint chicken wings
2 lemongrass stalk, remove outer husk and keeping only the soft center shoot
5 shallots peeled
2 garlic cloves peeled
1 inch thick ginger peeled, sliced thin
1 tsp tamarind paste dissolve in 2 tbsp water
1 tbsp fish sauce
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
1/2 tsp white ground pepper
1 tsp sugar
50 ml water
2 tbsp cooking oil
- Rinse clean the chicken wings, dap dry before marinating them. Rub salt and white pepper on the chicken first. Set aside while you prep the rest of the marinating paste.
- In a blender, add in all the rest of the ingredients except the cooking oil. Blend till smooth paste.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the chicken wings with the marinating paste together. Rub in the marinate to the meat and let it chill in the fridge up to 2 hours or even overnight for better results.
- Preheat the pan with 2 tbsp of cooking oil over medium low fire. Place the marinated wings on the hot pan together with the marinating sauce.Cover and let cook for 6-8 minutes.
- Open cover and check if the cooking side is golden brown.If yes, flip all the wings and add 2-3 tbsp of water. Cover and cook for another 6-8 minutes.
- Once both sides are pan seared till golden brown, off fire and dish up. Serve with steam rice, enjoy!
Crisp on the outside with slightly charred bits which intensify the lemongrass flavour. I can easily polish off this whole plate by myself...well if I want to lah. For the greater good of my waistline...I shall not haha!
You can most definitely prep this ahead, marinating it overnight and just had to pan seared it for 15 minutes on the stove. Your family would think that you have slaved over this for hours....little tricks to make them admire you more, thank me later.
Check out the moist tender meat inside...nom nom nom. :9 Do hope that you will try this out when you have cravings for some tender flavoursome chicken wings.
Happy cooking everyone!