My, it's less then 20 days to Chinese New year!? Where did the time go? Didn't we just had a festive Christmas celebration last week? Well, nothing wrong with my sense of time, but it sure feels like last week, lol! I guess most of us home bakers are frantically baking the new year cookies in preparation for the celebration and to give away as well. As usual, I baking the pineapple tarts, almond cookies etc etc. But since there is a blog event over at Sonia's in lieu of CNY, I decided to join in the fun. :) I made snake buns! Lol, sound creepy and unappetizing isn't it. No worries, no snakes are harmed in the making of these buns. :P Haha...
I know, not exactly snake looking buns...but you can imagine soft sticky dough ain't exactly that easy to mould either. :P But I had loads of bun making them! Haha, like a big kid with "play dough"!
This dough recipe is actually similar to the one I used for my healthy cinnamon buns I baked last week. But instead of the red bean, red dates & black rice trio puree combo, I used almond, oats and walnut puree instead. I will still post the recipe here for easier reference.
Ingredients for Healthy Cinnamon Buns (recipe by HoneyBeeSweets)
420g bread flour
105g five grain flour (you can sub this with rice flour)
50g caster sugar
7g instant active yeast
170g almond+walnut+oats puree
160ml fresh milk
200ml water (+- 10 ml ; add as per needed )
30g unsalted butter
mini smoked sauages
mini smoked sauages
tuna mayo (1 can of chunky tuna, drained and mixed with 2-3 tbsp mayo, 1/4 tsp salt, 1/2tsp sugar, pinch of pepper)
some red beans for eyes
- In a large mixing bowl, add in all the ingredients except the butter. Stir and mix till everything comes together to form a pliable dough.
- Continue kneading till the dough becomes elastic and pulls away from the side of the bowl and not sticky anymore.
- Add in the butter and continue to knead till it reaches window stage.
- Place the dough into a greased bowl and cover to let proof for 1.5-2hrs till it doubled in size.
- Punch out the air and divide the dough into 40g and 50g portions. (Note: I made at least 12 of these snakes buns. But you can make less and use the rest of the dough to make a loaf)
- First take the snake body, so take a 50g portion and roll flat into a rectangular shape:
- Roll it up lengthwise and seal the edges nicely. Then roll the whole thing into a coil to look like a snake body:
- Next, make the snake head. Cut the sausages into 3 length wise and cut the tip to make it look like a snake tongue. Then wrap the sausage with the 40g dough portion like a drumstick shape. Then place the head over the coil dough:
- Repeat till all the dough portions has been used up. Let proof for 30-45minutes covered. Preheat the oven 175C while waiting. Brush egg wash if desired.
- Place 2 red beans on top of the head to make it look like it's eyes.
- Bake in the oven for 15 minutes until golden brown. Enjoy!
Seems a little complicated, but I guarantee you that you will have loads of fun making this. Get your kids to involve too to make it a bonding project! How cool is that?
I am happy to submit this fun post to Sonia's blog event :Chinese New Year Delights 2013 新春送礼. Have you submited yours? Do join in the fun! Thanks Sonia for hosting this! :)
Have a great week ahead everyone! And happy baking all!!
very cute lah。。。。。。。 hu la la。。。
These are so cute! I think you are so creative. I remember your Christmas Tree macarons very well and now these cute buns!
so creative... the snake look cute.. hehe..
Hi Bee! Cute-looking snakes!!!
Didn't know that you like to "eat snake"?! Haha!
Bee, what a cutie bun you made here. haha...I like the idea and the tongue looks just.....perfect. Kudos!
these are so so cute!
Bee, you're really creative! Look very cute but... I'm very scared of snake.
So creative of you, and tuna with sausage always work too.
psss...psss...pssss...my dear friend, i never expect to see a snake bun !! you are really cute to make these! so are the buns!! i see all happy faced snake except for one confused face! hahahaha! i'm smiling looking at your wonderful snake buns, that's a brilliant idea, bee!
Haha this is sooooo cute lah! It made me smile when I saw it although snakes are not my fav creatures. :)
These look so REAL! Well done!
will give this a try for my son's bento..thanks for the idea..=)
This is very cute, thanks for sharing :)
These are so cute & very creative to shape them in snaky shape! Awesome! ;)
so kawaii, this is a very huat snake
Post a Comment