Thursday, March 10, 2011

Pumpkin Sesame Swirl Chiffon Cake

I am totally stoked! Why? School's first term break is just around the corner which also means a break from the hectic daily routine..woohoo! :D What's best is a long awaited trip which I planned for the longest time. :) So so looking forward to it. Shan't talk too much about it now but I do hope I can elaborate more about it when I get back, hee! :D Okay okay, back to today's post. I baked a Chiffon cake, but it's a little erratic, not your usual flavor I would think, hee! Pumpkin Sesame Swirl Chiffon Cake...weird or not? Lol! I hope not!

As you can see, the pumpkin color didn't actually blend well into the batter, not as "orange-y" as I hoped. I guessed mainly because I didn't bother to use the blender but simply just mashing it. :P However the pumpkin and sesame flavoring is there, so luckily there's no disappointment in the taste.
Why, you may ask, such a funny combo? Well, I had initially planned to bake a plain pumpkin chiffon for my parents (pumpkin lovers). But then I remembered my parents bought a couple bottles of black sesame paste for me on their last holiday trip, so Voila!
I mixed a little of the batter into the black sesame paste and here comes the not so zebra like patterns...Anyways, here is the recipe, in case, just in case there's someone out there that might be interested in this, lol! BTW, I adapted the pumpkin chiffon recipe from Carol's cookbook "烘焙新手必備的第一本書─106道超簡單零失敗的幸福甜點". But I made several changes to it, so here is my version:

Ingredients for Pumpkin Sesame Swirl Chiffon cake: (22 to 24" mould)
Egg Yolk Batter:
5 egg yolks
60g caster sugar
60 ml vegetable/olive oil I used 60ml)
90g puree/mashed steamed pumpkin
100ml fresh milk
75g cake flour
75g plain flour

Egg white Batter:
5 egg whites
1 tsp fresh lemon juice
70g caster sugar

3 tsp black sesame paste
Method:

  • Preheat the oven to 175C.
  • In a large mixing bowl, beat the egg yolks with the caster sugar till well blended. Then blend in the vegetable oil and mix well.
  • Now add in the pumpkin puree and milk, mix well again. Finally add in the sifted flours and whisk till everything combined together well.
  • In another large mixing bowl, beat the egg whites and lemon juice till foamy. Then add the caster sugar gradually and beating at the same time till all is added in and the batter is stiff peaks.
  • In 3 separate portions, add the whites into the yolk mixture and gently fold in to combined.
  • In a small bowl, mix about 3 tbsp of the cake batter with the black sesame paste thoroughly. Then drizzle this black sesame batter over the pumpkin batter and roughly mix in with 3 to 4 swirls.
  • Gently pour the batter into the fluted pan and bake in the oven for 35 to 40 minutes till tester comes out clean.
I hate those holes in the cake...I guess it has something to do with the consistency of the egg whites? Or is it the way I fold the whites in? Any pointers anyone? Thanks! Either way, I need more practice. :P


Okay, got to go. Hope you all have a nice break next week! I know I will, hee!

27 comments:

Sonia ~ Nasi Lemak Lover said...

Interesting combo! Have a nice holidays ahead.

CaThY said...

Lovely chiffon! i love the swirl ;)

My Little Space said...

Bee, I like your chiffon combo. Very very interesting. Thanks so much for sharing it. We have tea together huh! haha.... Have a lovely evening.
Kristy

Sanjeeta kk said...

Love the swirls in it! What a beautiful combo.

ReeseKitchen said...

Hey Fren, I've just baked a chiffon too...haha! A banana chiffon I've baked, a normal recipe that you've already tried long time ago..;p You have an interesting recipe here, nice combination!
I was about to ask you about the holes in mine too...haha!

WendyinKK said...

I'm seeing so many chiffons lately!! Hahaha.
I think I can guess where are u heading to.
My chiffons are holey too.

ICook4Fun said...

Nice looking chiffon cake. I like the swirl. I have yet to bake a chiffon cake without using any baking powder or cream of tartar. I have to try this out.

lena said...

i think this was a good try out with the sesame paste, not weird, sometimes we just need to play a bit with this and that to know what's it like and the swirls are pretty too !!

ann low said...

Love the nice swirl in this chiffon cake. Very pretty.
Happy holiday, Bee :)

DG said...

I can really see the soft & fluffy parts on your chiffon, and love the beautiful sesame swirl effects.

j3ss kitch3n said...

this is truly an unique combo! the swirls are beautiful too!

Juliana said...

Oh! Your chiffon cake look so pretty with the sesame swirl...love the texture of this cake...yummie!

Cakewhiz said...

Such pretty swirls! It looks so airy and moist...just the way chiffon cake is supposed to be :)

Viv said...

what awesome flavour combo! i recently bought a jar of black sesame paste as well so am looking fwd to incorporate it into some baking!

Elin said...

Bee Bee...I was just taelling Reese...you both have thesame cravings at the same time :p great minds think alike hor :)

Of course I would love to have this recipe. Will try this out when I have the sesame paste :) I think the pumpkin and sesame paste blends well :) Thanks for the recipe . Will act on it as soon as I get the sesame paste.

Cuisine Paradise said...

Interesting combination of sweet and nutty flavour em... i am sure this is worth trying :)

Jean said...

not weird at all! in fact it's innovative and looks delicious! i can see tiny bits of the pumpkin puree, making the cake looks wholesome and mouthwatering

Cooking Gallery said...

Lovely swirls! Looks great too :).

Anonymous said...

What an interesting combination of pumpkin and black sesame paste. This cake recipe is going into my recipe archive to make list! Love your blog!

Jo said...

Really interesting flavours for a chiffon cake.

Honey Bee Sweets said...

Thanks Sonia! Hope your holiday is a good one too!

Thanks Cathy!

Kristy, you serious or not? I would love to have you over for tea! When??? Heehee, let me know yah!

Thanks Sanjeeta KK!

Honey Bee Sweets said...

Reese, I love banana chiffon! You should add some chocolate chips or just half the recipe with chocolate in it, sure even more delicious!

Wendy, I guess you don't have the answer to hokey chiffons as well then? Ok, will read more recipes, surely there's a technique will fix it.

Thanks Gert! Really? I have several recipes that doesn't use baking powder or cream of tartar. The usual replacement for cre of tartar is lemon juice. :)

Honey Bee Sweets said...

Thanks Lena! Very supportive, heehee!

Thanks so much Ann! Happy holiday to you too!

Thank you DG! You know my kids didn't like this combo that much, after asluce and they didn't ask for it anymore, hahaha! However the adults loved it...guess it's a older folks taste, heehee!

Thanks J3ss! :))

Honey Bee Sweets said...

Thanks for your compliment Juliana! Welcome to my blog, hope you willcome by more often! Happy baking!

Thanks so much Cakewhiz! Welcome to my blog! Hope younlike what you see here and looking forward to your next visit! Happy baking!

Vivienne, welcome! Thanks for dropping by with your encouraging comments! Hope to see you around again. ;)

Honey Bee Sweets said...

Thanks Cuisine Paradise! Hope you will try outthis recipe. Let me know how you like it, tks!

Thanks Jean! Heehee, the bits of pumpkin is me not blending the pumpkin...simply mashed, lol! But yes, it is a much wholesome recipe as compared to sone of the choffon flavors, heehee!

Thanks Cooking gallery!

Honey Bee Sweets said...

Thanks Angela! You are so nice and supportive! Thanks for dropping by!

Indeed Jo... A little too adventurous perhaps? Heehee!

Elieen said...

Hi,beautiful chiffon cake you have there. Regarding the holes, while pressing the center cone of the chiffon tin and hold well, bang it for few times on the table to release the larger air bubbles. Dun worry, u won't shrink the cake. Or you can use a stick or a knife, go around the batter few rounds to break off the bubbles. I did this to my chiffon cake and other cakes as well and its work well.