Another impromptu post. :P Impromptu because I did not have the intention to post this recipe but later changed my mind again haha! Mainly because my kids love siew mai / dumplings in general, so I reckon it's best I record this down. ;) Anyway, this is a rather easy dish, so gonna keep it a short post. And if you are looking for simple steam meat and prawn dumpling recipe, then this should be it.
If you are expecting these to taste like those selling outside...well, you can very well change the page now. Store bought ones are usually packed with seasoning and additives to achieve that certain flavor and texture. All natural home made ones will taste slightly more blend but most definitely more healthy! And most certainly suitable for your kids, family and yourself. ;)
So let's take a look at the recipe shall we?
Recipe for Steam Meat & Prawn Dumpling / Siew Mai ((蒸鲜虾烧卖) -makes 8-10
160g minced pork
8-10 large prawns, peeled and devined
8-10 round fresh wanton skin
1 sprig of spring onion, chopped fine
2cm ginger, peeled and minced finely
Seasoning1 tbsp light soy sauce
1/2 tsp chicken powder seasoning
1 tbsp corn flour
1 tsp sesame oil
1/8 tsp five spice powder
1/8 tsp white ground pepper
1/2 tsp sugar
1 tsp Chinese Shaoxing wine
- On the chopping board, cut off about 1/3 of the prawn (the 1/3 part as the tail portion). Repeat with the rest of the prawns. Then leaving the 1/3 tail part, then roughly chop the 2/3 portions.
- Mix the 2/3 chopped portions of the prawns with the minced pork. Then add in the seasoning and mixed with with your hands, giving it a good squish all over to make sure it is well incorporated. Then lift the minced meat mixture and slam it into the bowl, do this several times so as to improve the texture of the meat...as I was told haha. :P
- Next add in the minced ginger and chopped spring onion and mix well again. Let the mixture marinate for a good 1hr in the fridge.
- After 1 hr, prepare 1 small bowl of clean water, the dumpling skins, the reserved prawn tails and the fillings on a clean working surface.
- Dap some water around the rim of the dumpling skin.
- Then place the dumpling skin on your thumb and forefinger, which you form a ring. Add about 1 heaping tablespoon of the filling in the middle.
- Then press in the sides of the dumpling skin so that it's rim form a circular ring. Place on the working surface, and slow form the shape to a small cylinder shape. Then stick a prawn tail in the middle.
- Repeat the same steps to make more dumpling till you make 8 or 10 of them. You can double the recipe if you want to serve more people.
- Prepare the steamer at medium fire and steam these dumplings for 10 mins till the meat is cooked through and the prawn is pink.
- Your dumplings should looks like these. ;)
wow ... 有声有色的点心。真的好棒哦。
Hi Honey Bee Sweet,
Home made siew mai is definitely the best.
Thanks for sharing.
o my...these look mouthwatering!
Post a Comment