So lately there has been a trend that new hispter cafes serving up local hawker food. I tell myself these kuehs must be super good since they are charging like double the price as of the hawker! But then it was not much of a difference...quite a disappointment. Seriously it is not a complicated dish, just make yourself la! I used to have an old post that links to my friend's blog, but I decided to post my own recipe this time hehe. :P Gonna keep this a super short post and get straight to it!
Recipe for Steamed Yam Kueh: (makes 10" round)
550g yam, peeled and shredded
4 tbsp dried shrimp, soaked till soft and minced fine
3 garlic cloves minced
6 cloves shallots sliced
oil for frying shallots
Chunks of pumpkin and yam, pre steamed (optional)
280g rice flour
70g tapioca flour
1/2 tsp alkaline water (optional)
- Mix everything together in a large bowl and set aside for later use.
1/4 tsp five spice powder
1 tbsp chicken seasoning or 1 chicke cube
white pepper and salt to taste
- Heat up oil and fry the shallots till light golden brown. Scoop out from oil and over some paper towel to let cool for later use.
- Add garlic and minced dried shrimp and cook at low heat till fragrant.
- Add shredded yam and stir fry for a couple minutes. Then gradually add in ladles of batter in and cook at low heat.
- Mixture will be lumpy and thick but it is ok. Just stir constantly and make sure the bottom is not burnt.
- Set aside the steamer (at medium low heat) and round tin that has been greased.
- Once all the batter has been stirred in, add in the steamed pumpkin and yam if you are using.
- Scoop the mixture into the container and steamed for 40 to 50 minutes. Check if mixture is firm, else continue to steam for another 5-10minutes.
- Make sure you let the kueh cool completely before slicing it to serve. Top with chopped green onion, fried golden shallots.
You know what's better then steamed Yam kueh? It is to pan fry it the next day after you have chilled it firm overnight in the fridge! Okay that's another post haha! May add pictures of that later heehee!
Have a great day guys!