Thursday, October 11, 2012

Roti Paun with red bean paste

It is only this week that I finally get to catch up on most of the stuff I needed to do at home. Strange that when my better half is away on business trip, I get more free time, lol! My husband actually helps around the house which I truly appreciate. But I guess I get to have more "me" time (nicer way of saying alone time, haha) which also derives more experiments in the kitchen, heehee. So I managed to bake a castella cake, a new curry with special ingredients (both to be posted next time) and of course today's post; Roti Paun! As promised in my previous post, here is my first recipe for this month's MFF. ;)
After some reading up online, I was kind of glad that there was actually no fixed recipe for the sweet bread. Most of the bakers seems to be using their own favorite sweet bread recipe. So I decided to try a honey bread recipe which I have been wanting to try for a while.
I believe most Singaporeans, like me, tasted these kind of buns before, bought from their local neighborhood bakery stores. Be it filled with sweetened coconut or red bean paste, we all grew up eating these. It's funny that I have been eating these kind of buns all my life, but really didn't know about it's origin...it's just a bun to me, lol! Nevertheless, it is a homey comfort food....anyone or anywhere can enjoy.

Today, I'm using this honey bun (don't you just love the name, lol!) recipe which I again used preferment starter dough to enhance the bouncy texture and retain moisture of the bread. I doubled the recipe to make a loaf as well. Feel free to half it.

Ingredients for Roti Paun (honey buns): (amount yields two 9x5x4 loafs)
100g preferment starter dough (refer here for recipe)
500g bread flour
6g instant active yeast
5g salt
14g milk
80g quality honey
80ml fresh milk
1 large egg
170ml ice water
30g unsalted butter, room temperature

some red bean paste for filling
  • Knead all ingredients of the main dough together, except the butter. Add pre-ferment dough piece by piece. Knead after each addition until soft and smooth. Add butter. Knead until stretchable and pass the window panel consistency.
  • Put the dough into a big bowl. Cover with cling wrap and let it prove for 30minutes till double.
  • Divide the dough into 12-14 equal portions. Roll each portion round, cover and let rest for 20 minutes before shaping.
  • Flatten the dough to drive the air out. Roll each out into a circular disc with a rolling pin. place a heaping tablespoon of red bean paste in the center. Close up and seal nicely. Roll round and place in a greased round pan. (I used an 8') . Repeat for the rest of the dough portions. Cover with cling wrap.
  • Let it prove for about 45 minutes or until the dough has risen to 80 to 90% of the depth of the baking pan. I omitted the egg wash this time, but feel free to gloss yours. Bake in 175C for 20 to 23 minutes.
I guess this picture speaks for itself. :) Soft and fluffy. I have used unsweetened red bean paste left over from the mooncake festival, perfect with these honey buns...I mean roti paun, heehee. :D
A little obsessed here, hahaha! Just to convince you folks that this is worth trying. ;) The next time I try this recipe, I'll make it into healthy wholewheat version. ;)
Just to show you the full amount the recipe yields. A loaf and these roti pauns. Yeah, my family chow down bread like nobody's business...but I'm happy! Just gives me more opportunities to try new recipes, haha!

I am very happy to submit today's post to Malaysian Food Fest ( Terengganu month ) hosted by Lena.
Thanks for hosting my friend!

Okay, got to go...for now. ;) Have a good weekend all!

14 comments:

lena said...

see? i told you that i'll be watching out for your post.LOL! the texture of your roti is wonderful, super soft..i 'm so curious actually about the real roti paun that hails from terengganu, sure there must be something very special about the buns and i see quite some recipes use margarine too. sure you got much time now that your hubby not around, you dun have to layan him mah..LOL! thanks for your participation, bee!

Honey Bee Sweets said...

Wah Lena, you are fast! Like eagle eyes! Didn't know you REALLY meant it when you say watching out for my post, lol! Ai ya...I don't layan my hubs, he layan me lah, lol! Sure thing my friend...hopefully I can participate somemore, heehee

PH said...

Hi there Honey Bee Sweets! I love your version of the roti paun. This traditional bun is certainly evolving all the time!

Mich - Piece of Cake said...

Love the soft fluffy texture of your buns... almost like cotton...

Joyce said...

I like these kinds of traditional buns.. never go out of trend and always taste great ! And yours are so evenly browned and soft, just like those from the bakeries !

QembarDelites said...

Hi Honey Bee Sweets, I am really captivated by your buns, will try this soon!

鲸鱼蓝蓝蓝 said...

我来吃面包了哟
你的面包总是那么的讨巧
我喜欢喜欢:)

Quay Po Cooks said...

Bee, this looks really soft and fluffy. I think I can finish the whole bread myself.

Sonia ~ Nasi Lemak Lover said...

from the pictures, i can see your roti paun is so so soft and fluffy, well done BB..

Jes's Deli Corner said...

Like ur bread post..so tempting

Edith said...

Wow you are very very generous with your filling!!!!

WendyinKK said...

Actually, the it's the form of the bun that is popular in Terengganu, of which there is no specific bread dough recipe for it, but a specific shape.
It's small like a ping pong ball and baked in a round tray.
It's the form. Bread that is made from wheat flour is not really local fare but it;s the form of the bread has been localized there.

Zoe said...

Hi Bee,

Your roti paun looks superb! Seeing your pull part picture make me drool. It is a shame for me that I can't bake this for Lena's MFF as I'm on hoilday soon :D

Zoe

ann low said...

WOW! The buns look really soft and fluffy. Love to try this recipe one day :)