I have been pretty inconsistent with my blogging lately....not that anyone has noticed it or anything. I can sometimes post up 3 posts in a week or I can totally disappear for close to 10 days. I guess it's just a matter of my poor time management and busy schedule. ;P Nevertheless, my love for baking never dampens no matter how busy I am. Believe me, I am always thinking of what to bake up for my family...plus using up all those stocked up ingredients, hahaha! And since my better half is currently on oversea assignment...I can't bake too much....have to control.. :D
Today I am again posting up another favorite, well at least it has just become my family's favorite. (^.^) It's the same recipe as the Dreamy Soft Pandan Cake I made awhile back, but a change in flavoring. This time I made slight changes here and there, so I figure it's best I just post it up for future references. :)
If you are wondering how come the colour of the cake is kind of dark...well I have to blame it on the Chocolate Emulco! I didn't realise it until it was out of the oven. :P I am so gonna omit it the next time. ;P I also saw Jane's version which I believe it's very good, so I tried to adapt some of her steps.
Ingredients for Dreamy Soft Chocolate cake (巧克力相思蛋糕) -fills a 8x8 square pan
Egg yolk batter
65g vegetable oil
20g dark chocolate, chopped small (I used 70% cocoa)
100g egg yolks (~6 egg yolks)
1 whole egg55g superfine cake flour
10g Valrohna cocoa powder
1/2 tsp chocolate emulco (optional)
Egg white Batter
~200g egg white (I used however much of the egg white extracted from the above 6 eggs)
70g caster sugar
1 tbsp corn flour
- Heat up the milk just before it starts to bubble and add the chopped chocolate. Stir well and mix. Set it aside for use later.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat the egg yolks, whole egg, salt, chocolate milk mixture together till well combined.
- Sift in the flour and mix well till no visible lumps. (set aside and cover)
- Preheat the oven to 160C. Prepare water bath in the oven. Grease and line parchment paper a 8x8 square cake pan.
- In the mixer bowl, add in egg white and beat till foamy. Then gradually add in the sugar and continue to beat till soft peaks. Then add in the corn flour and continue to beat till stiff peaks.
- Gently flour in the egg white mixture to the egg yolk mixture in 3 separate portions and do not deflate the batter.
- Pour batter into the prepared cake pan and bake in the preheated oven for 50 mins in water bath.
- Remove from oven when the tester comes out clean and let cool on rack before slicing.
Bare in mind that it's normal that the cake will deflate a little once it starts cooling down. If you compare the above pictures, you will notice that mine did shrink a little. So don't panic okay...let the cake relax. ;)
I have again spread a layer of Swiss Meringue buttercream in between. My kids love it to bits! Besides that one slice I ate in the beginning, the rest is all polished off by them! After they finished the last slice, they are already asking when will I be baking it again. :P
But I have to admit this recipe is one of the softest cake I made...definitely a keeper. ;) You have to try it for yourself, you won't regret it. :P
Hopefully my next post will be my submission to this month's MFF... hosted by Lena of Frozen Wings. Do show your support! :D Until then, have a good week ahead my friends!