The weather is getting pretty warm lately. Needless to say, Summer has already arrived and besides trying to enjoy the nice weather, one has to stay cool as well...literally. I have already brewed water chestnut and chrysanthemum tea a couple times now for the family this month, a delicious drink to "lower the heat"(降火气) in your body. I am sure many of you out there has special cooling teas to beat the heat. And since I didn't want to turn on my oven on such hot weathers, I opted for a cooler desert to serve my family, Mango and Strawberry Mousse with Oreo Crumbs.
I just made this and was really eager to share with everyone since this is such an easy and delicious desert, anyone can do it! If you prefer some other fruits other then Mango or strawberries, by all means, change to what you like. :)
Ingredients for Mango and Strawberry Mousse with Oreo Crumb (makes 4 cups)
140g fresh mango puree
140g strawberry reduction (See note)
2 tbsp gelatine powder (separate 1 tbsp for each flavor)
300ml fresh heavy whipping cream (separate 150ml for each flavor)
8 round discs of vanilla sponge cake (diameter of the sponge depends your cup size)
5 pieces of Oreo cookies, blend into crumbs
Note: Strawberry reduction : Using 250g fresh, diced strawberries and 100-120g caster sugar and cook in a heat proof sauce pot at low heat till the mixture becomes thick like jam consistency. About 10-15mins. You can do the same for the mango if you want but I was happy with the consistency.
- In two heat proof bowls, microwave the gelatine powder with 1 tbsp of water. Once the gelatine powder has melted in, quickly add in the fruit purees, mango puree in one and strawberry reduction in another. Stir well and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat the whipping cream till stiff peaks. Then divide into 2 equal portions and mix in the fruit gelatine mixtures in to one portion each.
- Assemble: Scoop some mango mousse into the cup to about almost half way. Then place a piece of sponge on top. Then scoop the strawberry mousse over the sponge cake to 90% full. Then top it with another sponge cake.
- Cover the cups with plastic wrap and chill in the fridge for at least 2 hours.
- After chilling, top each cup with the Oreo crumbs till full. You can opt to top it with more fresh fruits if you prefer. Serve cold!
I was really happy once I tasted it. It's so yummy! Everything just comes together nicely. Since I did not add any extra sugar, the desert was really light and easy to eat. It literally melts in the mouth, so heavenly. ;) I'm now planning to make it into a larger version into cakes for special occasions. ;) Do try it out this summer, you will be pleasantly surprised!
Okay, have a great weekend folks!