Friday, February 3, 2012

Oreo Surprise Chocolate Cupcakes

After baking batches and batches of New Year cookies for the past weeks, it seems all "refreshing" to bake up some cupcakes for a change. Plus my girls have been asking for some cupcakes with buttercream lately. I guess they had enough of fatt goh and kueh lapis for now, lol! So I decided to bake some moist dark chocolate cupcakes (with an Oreo surprise) and top them off with delicious Oreo cookie Swiss Meringue buttercream. Sounds good? It is. ;)
Ehh...where's the cake? Oopsie...guess I filled the batter a bit too short, and probably worried about all that overflowing of chocolaty goodness. :P So if you does attempt this recipe, remember to be a little more generous and fill to 75% to 80% full.
Nevertheless, the taste of the cupcakes didn't disappoint, it was chocolaty and very "Oreoy", just what I was hoping for. ;) If you are wondering what and where is that "Oreo surprise" I was referring to....read on.

recipe inspired by Bakegirl plus some modifications
Ingredients for Oreo Surprise Chocolate Cupcake with Oreo SMB (Makes about 12 cupcakes)
90g dark chocolate, finely chopped (I used Valrohna)
40g unsweetened cocoa powder (I used Valrohna cocoa powder)
3/4 cup hot coffee, preferably brewed
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp baking powder
100g all purpose flour
6 tbsp vegetable oil
2 large eggs
2 tsp white vinegar
1 tsp pure vanilla extract
12-15 Oreo halves with cream filling attached

Making the cupcakes:

  • Preheat oven to 175C. Prepare about 12 to 15 cupcake liners. The place the Oreo halves with cream at the bottom of the liners with the cream facing up. (That's the hidden Oreo surprise!)
  • Place the chopped chocolates and sifted cocoa powder a heat proof bowl. Then heat up the coffee till very hot. Pour the coffee over the chocolate and cocoa powder and then gently mix it up till all combined and smooth. Let cool before use.
  • In a large mixing bowl, whisk in eggs, vegetable oil, vanilla extract and vinegar till combined. Then add in the cooled chocolate mixture and stir in well.
  • Sift the plain flour, baking powder, salt and baking powder in. Then gently stir well and do not over mix. Divide the batter equally into the cupcake liners and fill up to 80% full.
  • Bake in the preheated oven for about 15 minutes or till the tester comes out clean or with soft crumbs. Let cool completely before topping with cream.
  • For the cream topping, I have chose to use Swiss meringue Buttercream mixed with the reserved halves of the Oreo cookies blended till crumbs. You can use sweetened whipping cream if desired too. For the SMB recipe, please refer to here.
My kids love anything with Oreo...so this is such a treat for them ...and me too! ;)
I hope these little Oreo cupcakes will be part of your sweet deserts served over this weekend (last CNY weekend!). I had fun making them, hope it will be for you too!

Have a super duper nice weekend all! Cheers!

16 comments:

Edith said...

Little girls love buttercream it seems.

鲸鱼蓝蓝蓝 said...

我也喜欢oreo口味
这个肯定很好吃:)

DG said...

Don't mention the kids, I myself love anything with Oreo. :)

Hankerie said...

Wow, I love oreo!! Looks so nice.

kitlori said...

hi honey bee
thanks for sharing all your wonderful receipes. i have been a silent reader, each time fully satisfied after viewing your yummy bakes. just a quick question, do we unmound the cupcake before attempting our first bite, if not unmounded, then we wont be able to see your surprise base. thanks again
regards
lori

Daphne said...

Must taste really good, OREO~~~~

Honey Bee Sweets said...

Hi kitlori, thanks for your comment and being a reader of my blog. 😊 Actually you can choose to eat the cupcake whichever way you fancy! You see i have 2 kids, each with a different eating style. I didn't tell my girls about the hidden Oreo but somehow both of them manage to get to the bottom of it and enjoy the Oreo. The Oreo serves like a cookie base. If you ask me, I think to enjoy every bite to the fullest, I would unmould and take a big bite with the cream+cake+cookie altogether, hahaha!

ann low said...

WOW! I also want a big bite on the 'Surprise' cupcakes. My family also loves Oreo, must try this soon...to surprise them too ;DD

Adele - The Dutch Door Kitchen said...

These are adorable. I love the idea of the oreo at the bottom of the cupcake!

Shirley @ Kokken69 said...

Oh, another Oreo treat! Oreo inspires so many....

Carolina said...

Maravilloso!! Un saludo desde España.

Unknown said...

哇!这个我小孩一定超爱,因为有他们喜欢的 oreo (只怕到时候他们把饼干吃了,剩下蛋糕让我解决)。。呵呵

lena said...

that's really a surprise! i was also thinking since you mentioned you did not get a higher cupcake, do you think the cookie there could have affected the rise of the cupcake? Happy chap goh mei to you, bee!

Edith said...

Hi Bee, hop over to my blog, I have an award for you.

Zoe said...

This is really a nice "surprise" at the bottom. Typically, this is the "Saving the best for the last" situation. Yum! :D

ReeseKitchen said...

oh My Gosh...I'm so "OUT" lately!! Totally never have the time to read blog posts..:( Everything is back to normal now, I'm back home and I'm baking this morning!!! I'm baking for my hubby's friend's house warming tonight...blueberry cream cheese tarts, blueberry cupcakes & chocolate cupcakes!! "Phew"...all done!!
I'll be back with more post soon...hehe!
Your oreo cupcakes looks very tempting and beautiful! Very Nice!!