Friday, November 11, 2011

Coconut Cupcakes with Coconut Swiss Meringue Buttercream

Have not been baking much lately. Since exam is over, I'm out with my kids most of the time. Plus the weather is getting better too, less rain and more sunshine! We went swimming, walks in parks, movies and shopping, just to break away from the books for now. :) But I didn't want to stop blogging for too long as I know it will be really hard to get back on track again if I get into the slacking "mode". :P So I decided to make some Coconut cupcakes yesterday, a recipe that I've saved for sometime. But when I saw Jane posting it a couple weeks back, I then remember about it. The original recipe comes from 鲸鱼蓝蓝小窝居 , so thanks to these ladies, I finally bake this yummy cake. :)
I have decided to dress up the coconut cupcakes by topping it with Coconut Swiss Meringue Buttercream and some toasted coconut flakes. (^_^) Although the cupcake itself is already moist with nice coconut scent, but with the SMB, it becomes real decadent and even more delicious!
I was please that even my 2 kids whom are not fond of coconut flavor found these good. :) But I believe it has something to do with the SMB....they just LOVE Swiss Meringue Buttercream! They kept saying it taste like ice cream after it's chilled, lol!

Ingredients for Coconut Cupcakes (makes about 20 cupcakes)
200g butter, room temperature
100g caster sugar
4 eggs
6 tbsp milk
200g cake flour (I used Top flour)
2 tsp baking powder
100g coconut powder
40g desiccated coconut
80g plump raisins

Method:
  • Preheat the oven to 180C.
  • In a mixing bowl, cream the butter and sugar till light and creamy. Then crack in one egg at a time and mix well after each addition.
  • Add in the milk and mix well.
  • Then sieve in the coconut powder, flour, baking powder and mix till just incorporated.
  • Finally, add in the desiccated coconut flakes and raisins and stir to blend in.
  • Scoop batter into cupcake liners till 3/4 full. Then bake them in the preheated oven for 15 minutes till the tester comes out clean.

Coconut Swiss Meringue Buttercream:

20g coconut powder (Alternatively, you can just add 15g of coconut thick cream)



100g Swiss Meringue Buttercream (I followed Bravetart's recipe, please refer to link)



 




In a small bowl, weigh out the coconut powder, then add in 2 - 3 tbsp of hot water, mix well till it all the powder is incorporated. Mixture should be slightly thick. Let cool before mixing into the Swiss Meringue Buttercream. Once mix in, chill it till needed.




For the toasted coconut flakes, place about 1 heaping tbsp of desiccated coconut flakes on a non stick frying pan at medium low heat. Stir fry it constantly and try not to burnt it. Once it turns light golden brown, remove from fire and let cool completely before sprinkling over the cupcakes.


If you like coconut flavor and enjoy that extra texture of the flakes in the cake, you will love this one. I find that the coconut scent is slightly stronger the next day. I might try using vegetable oil in place of butter the next time so that the butter will not "steal" the lime light of the coconut scent. ;)
A look at the inside of this moist tender cake. With a cup of nice hot tea will be perfect! Try it out folks!

I am happy to submit this to this month's Aspiring Bakers #13: Enjoy Cupcakes! (November 2011) hosted by Min of Min's Blog. Thanks so much for hosting this month Min!

Take care all and have a great weekend!


16 comments:

Hearty Bakes said...

I have tried those cup pies before and I certainly agree it tastes great! I shall try with your Swiss meringue buttercream the next time I bake this. Looks very deli with the creamy good buttercream.

Janine said...

wow coconut cake sounds really good right now! and i'm sure craving good smbc :) gonna try it later hehe

Sonia ~ Nasi Lemak Lover said...

never had coconut cupcake before, sound so yummy. and the buttercream look so well prepared, must try one day.

ann low said...

These cupcakes with coconut must be very tasteful and look very pretty too :)

Yummy Bakes said...

Would love to have this for tea.

Joceline said...

应该是很美味的。这小蛋糕很透人。赞~

Passionate About Baking said...

Looks really nice, HBS! I would definitely love to try this with SMB too! Thanks for sharing your SMB! :)

WendyinKK said...

love toasted coconut.
so fragrant especially when paired with cream, heaven!
I'm glad u didn't add in pandan, LOL, if not then cannot fully appreciate the cononut flavour

lena said...

hi bee, i'll be so wrong if i say these cupcakes are not delicious..coconut cupcakes with coconut buttercream and what's more, with swiss meringue method..this is real good!! thanks for the birthday wishes too!

鲸鱼蓝蓝蓝 said...

自己加了变化
肯定更吸引人了
我也要两个:)

ReeseKitchen said...

Can imagine how delicious they are....:) Oh really miss your bakes la....when can taste again???...hehe! If can, I'll like to have some breads or buns ya...;p

Anonymous said...

Swiss Meringue Buttercream sounds so sinfully delicious!!

Unknown said...

从里到外都是椰子,香香香香香。。。。 ^_^

Min said...

Looks yummy! I love the toasted coconut flakes the most, matched very well witht eh swiss meringue butter-cream :) Thanks so much for your entry!

Awayofmind Bakery House said...

This coconut cupcakes must be very delicious! It looks pretty too!

My Little Space said...

Your cupcakes look so really tempting & the cream sounds really good too. Kudos again!
Hope you're having a great week.
Kristy