Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Orange Swiss Roll with Rich Chocolate Cream & A bundle Joy

It's already the beginning of May and loads of things seems to be going on in this month. First is the Singapore Election that will be held this Saturday. Everyone is talking about it; on newspapers, radio shows, blogs and also FaceBook. Very happening now with rallies to attend and hearing the views from the nominated candidates. Also reviewing what Singapore's potential future leaders need to embark on and how it will directly affect us. I just sincerely hope whatever the result may be, it'll be for the best, be it for the people or the country.

Going on as well is the mid term exams with the kids. It is stress time both for parents and children. But looking on the bright side, there seems to be a continuous string of long weekends for the children to do their revision. :) Anyway, I wish everyone best of luck for their papers!

On the lighter side of things, yesterday I manage to bake a Swiss roll cake for a friend. I believe most of you knows who she is, its Grace from Kitchen Corner. She has been pretty busy lately and couldn't be with us much in the blog sphere. Why? Hope over to her blog and you'll know. :) Grace and I have been talking about meeting up for the past month. But since we were rather busy with our own stuff, we had to postpone the meet up until today. Wanted to bake more but only managed to churn out a simple Orange Swiss Roll with Rich Chocolate Cream cake for her.
The initial plan was to make a much nicer pattern then just simple chocolate hearts on the Swiss roll. But since I had to prep for dinner, I just went with the easy way. *sorry Grace* Hopefully she & her hubby will enjoy this simple desert. Interested in the recipe? Here it is:

Ingredients for Orange Chiffon Cake (makes a 10" by 14" tray):
Egg yolk mixture:
4 egg yolks
30g sugar
1/2 tsp orange essence (optional)
75ml freshly squeezed orange juice
80ml water
Zest of 1 naval orange
60g cake flour
60g plain flour
80ml vegetable oil

Egg white mixture:
4 egg whites

94g caster sugar
1/4 tsp cream of tartar
Decorations:
50g semisweet chocolate (I used Valrohna with 65% cocoa), melted and cooled

Filing:
80g semisweet chocolate, chopped small
50g salted butter
120ml non dairy whipping cream


Melt the chocolate and butter in double boiler and let cool slightly. Then as the whipping cream is being whipped in the mixer and almost reaching stiff peaks, gradually pour the chocolate butter mixture in. Continue to whip till mixture is well combined. Chill it till needed.
For detail steps on the Swiss roll method, please refer to my previous post on Pikachu Mango Swiss Roll. Thanks!

I was a little disappointed with the chocolate hearts as it looks kind of messy on the roll. :P But luckily the cake still taste pretty nice, soft orange flavored cake with rich chocolaty cream. Yummy combo. :)
While I was at Grace's place, I got to meet the new addition of her family. Believe me when I say I am totally charmed by him! He is such a beautiful little baby. He has such big bright eyes with cute little dimples on his cheeks and always generous with his smiles. :) He is really a bundle of joy! I'm so sure he's gonna be a girl-magnet next time, lol! Think I will pay Grace a visit again soon...see what I mean?! Lol!

I am submitting this to Aspiring Bakers #7 - Chocolate Delight (May 2011) hosted by DG from Tested and Tasted. Thanks for hosting this month Doris!

Hopefully I will have time to post up a tart recipe that I've been "dying" to try soon.
Okay, hope you all have a nice week. Cheerio!

18 comments:

Jean said...

hey i love the generous serving of chocolate cream inside! im a cream cake person hahah

DG said...

Very creative of you and love the heart print on the cake .... very sweet looking swiss roll cake!

Happy Homebaker said...

lovely roll cake with all the hearts! Next time you visit Grace, please help me pinch the little one's cheek for me ;)

Kitchen Corner said...

That's really a nice and yummy cake roll indeed. We finished it in no time!! I miss cake a lot and this really suit our appetite especially the combination of orange and chocolate cream taste heavenly! Thanks a lot! Wish to see you more often!

Sonia ~ Nasi Lemak Lover said...

Grace must be very happy to receive this lovely homemade swiss roll. I'm not good in making swiss roll, maybe i should try your recipe one day but first need to get the correct size of pan..Thanks for sharing dear.

lena said...

grace is a wonderful baker and you too! look at the swiss roll, i've tried making patterns on swiss roll before but that didnt work out! very pretty!not messy!!!

Honey Bee Sweets said...

Hey Jean, me too! Somehow the cream makes the cake all perfect and delicious. ;)

Thanks DG! Nothing too fancy really, wished I had made it prettier, heehee!

Heehee, HHB, I'm not sure if I have the heart to pinch that cuttie pie though. He's such a darling, you should meet him in person!

Honey Bee Sweets said...

Thanks Grace! What a relief! I was worried that my Swiss roll was not up to standard, lol! Sure sure, can't wait to see you and your little one again soon...how about week after next? Heehee...

You are most definitely welcome Sonia! I think you should try making Swiss roll because you will be very good at it! Looking at your souffle cheesecakes and other wonderful cakes, this Swiss roll is really not much of a challenge for you. ;) looking forward to see your first Swissroll post. :)

Oh Lena, you are always so supportive! Thanks for your compliments. ;) you know, you can try out my previous recipe on baking the Pikachu Swiss roll to see how to make patterns on it...a bit tedious but all worth it. Lena go go go!

j3ss kitch3n said...

looks so delish! can i have a piece Bee?

Passionate About Baking said...

Orange and chocolate is my favourite combination! This swiss rolls looks really good! I'm sure it was finished in no time!
Ah yes, not forgetting the exams coming up! All the best to your girl's exam too!

ReeseKitchen said...

Hey, the roll looks yummy! Drolling here larr...;p Btw, I like your table cloth or is it a napkin with a nice honeybee..."sweet"...:D

Torviewtoronto said...

neatly done delicious looking swiss roll

Cooking Gallery said...

I love the chocolate hearts outside the roll and the creamy and chocolaty filling :)!!

Honey Bee Sweets said...

Sure can j3ss! Come over anytime and I'll cut a big slice for u! ;)

Thanks Jane! All the best to your boys' mid term exams too!

Heehee, Reese, this is a towel that was given to me by my mom. It comes in a set. I loved it too! Totally suit me & my blog, lol!

Honey Bee Sweets said...

Thanks TorviewToronto! Welcome to my blog and hope to see you around here again soon! Have a great weekend

Thanks Cooking Gallery! The chocolate cream is The best part, heehee!

Gloria Baker said...

Hi! Your orange swiss roll look delicious and amazing! gloria

ICook4Fun said...

I have to do more of swiss roll to perfect it. Love the heart print on the cake. By the way Happy Mother's Day to you!!

MamaFaMi said...

I like the look of your swiss roll. It's so cute!