Monday, August 9, 2010

Happy 45th Birthday Singapore and My 3rd Blogger Meet up

Happy 45th Birthday Singapore!

Yes, 45 years, that's how many years of independence Singapore has gone through. Amazing as it is, this little country went through a lot and achieved more then many expected. The people, the nation and everything that made it what it is. I would not say it is all perfect, but it is a great place to stay in which I can call home. Being away from my homeland for more then a decade and finally this year we have made our way back here again. As the saying goes, "No matter where you go, home is where your heart is".

In lieu of the celebration, The Istana (Singapore's President's adobe) was open to public yesterday. How can I miss that! So my family and I went there early yesterday morning full of enthusiasm. :) Little did we know that there are thousand of other eager Singaporeans and visitors that had already made their way to Istana much earlier then us! The queue to go in was way way long.
As you can see the place is packed with people, young and old. There seems to be a kids drawing competition going on and there was even live band performance at the open field. The weather was spectacular (same as today, yippee for NDP!) and we had a brisk walk to the main building.
Got to see all the "treasures" inside and the place where the ministers and all VIPs' meeting hall etc. Overall a nice experience and I am glad I made this trip with my family. :)

I know, very ambitious of me, I actually have a Food Blogger gathering right after my trip to Istana. I left my hubby and kids shopping in the nearby mall and drove off frantically to a long awaited gathering with a group of foodies just like me. ;) I was really happy to be able to make it to this gathering, in fact honored to be invited once again, heehee. Come to think of it, I got to meet up these lovely blogger all together 3 times. ;) Although different places, different people (some still the same) ....it was all absolutely worth it all. Check out the "goodie bags" I snagged over at the party yesterday. ;D
I was late but not the last to arrive and was warmly greeted by our sweet Pei-Lin and of course the rest of the other blogger. ;) I was a little reserved at first since I only knew 3 of them, but everything went so easy after we started chatting away. All of them were nice and pleasant people with the same passion as me...how great is that?! We will never run out of topics to talk for sure, lol! Who are they? They are :

These great bloggers made a whole lot of delicious food at the party. Sure beats any buffet you can find outside! All homemade, wholesome and super delicious! I was really stuffed at the end but happy of course...should have wore something more loose, lol! Since everyone did not got a photo of the Ban Guan Kueh I made for the party (it was still in the steamer when everyone was snapping away!!), I shall post a photo for all to see, heehee. ;D
Ban Guan kueh has always been my all time favorite and I was SUPER glad I finally got the right recipe for it! I was really happy that there were no complains while the other blogger tasted it, heehee. I felt bad for not making something more for those nice people....whom actually took their precious time out to gather together and brought wonderful food to share. I do hope that we will be able to meet up again soon (think it will happen since everyone is so eager) and hopefully I won't have to rush off like this time and not being able to chat more with everyone.

But within that short period of time, I truly enjoyed myself in the whole duration! Chatting and snacking on the good food and talking about more food, lol! I have to give special thanks to dear Pei-lin to put this together for us and coming down all the way from Malaysia to spend her holiday here. Also thanks to Edith for opening her lovely house to us and allowing us to have this gathering in such and lovely and comfortable environment! ;D

Being surrounded by foodies like me made me so at ease and I am sure everyone there feels the same too. I regretted not being able to meet up with You Fei as I found out that she arrived just after I left! Oh well, we catch up on FB okay my friend? Lastly, thank you all that came for the party yesterday, thank you for your time, your friendship and of course your yummy food. ;)

I will not be posting the food that the other bloggers brought to the party as I realized they took much nice photos than me! So go browse theirs. ;) As for the National Day cupcakes I made, it's chocolate buttermilk cupcakes with white chocolate whipped cream topping. Made them just for the fun of it all. ;)

Okay, got to go make my wholewheat pizza for dinner tonight and catch the NDP live on TV....thanks for dropping by! You have a great day now! Cheers!

34 comments:

youfei said...

Hi Bee Bee!

Yes! Indeed a pity I couldn't get to see you! I was thrilled to know you could make it, but just not in time to see you again =p

But we'll definitely meet again and we'll catch up on FB! =D

You Fei

Bakericious said...

Bee Bee, I was like you, I left the party at 3.35pm, wish i can stay throughout, lets try make ourselves whole day available for next gathering ok :P. Really nice meeting you, I was so excited and happy to finally meet you in person.

Your ban guan kueh tasted so yummy, I love ban guan so though I was so full and the kueh look so filling, I stil grabbed one and ate it, so satisfied.

The national day cupcakes looks so pretty. My gal saw it, asked me to make some for her 2morrow. Oh no, do you still ve spare one for me to drop over and collect :P.

Once again, nice meeting you and hope we are able to meet soon!

Sonia ~ Nasi Lemak Lover said...

I wish I can be there to join this party, must be very fun. Eh, who brought you the similar Bah Kut Teh packet? just curious.

Honey Bee Sweets said...

Hi hi You Fei! After I heard from the others that you finally turned up, I was both happy but disappointe. Happy because you came, disappointed because I left. ;P hope everything is well on your side. Anyway, let's hope we get to meet up and not miss each other again. Take care!

Hi Jess, I have! There are still 3 more cupcakes in the fridge. You sure you want to drive all the way to my place to get these cupcakes?? Hahaha, I bet your girl wants to eat the ones you made lah, not mine. But u call me if you are really coming yah? Take care!

ReeseKitchen said...

Nice gathering with so many bloggers, Bee Bee. Wish I can join in the next time..;)
Eh, the ban guan kueh looks very nice leh...can I have the recipe and method? Need details method..haha! Thanks in advance.
Btw, the cupcakes looks so attractive..:)

Honey Bee Sweets said...

Hi Sonia! Yeah, this gathering sure brought back those sweet memories I had with you ladies! Heehee, you forgotten someone asked you where you got the bat kit teh packs?? Of couse it's from our dear Pei-Lin loh....she actually went to hunt around for it and called up the contact you gave her. Very sweet of her, really appreciate what she did for us. Will again get to savor the yummy bat kut teh again, heehee.

gertrude said...

You guys are lucky get to meet up. I wish I can be there. Maybe we can plan something again when I go back next year. Glad that you had a great time at the meet up.

Shirley @ Kokken69 said...

Bee, your Soon Kueh tasted really good! I will have to continue to work on my recipe. I just saw Sonia's guest post with the Malaysian flag and wondered if any Singapore blogger will be doing some thing with the Singapore flag on it! You saved the day!

Honey Bee Sweets said...

Yeah Reese, when I was at the party, both me and Pei-Lin were remembering all of you and our last gathering. Miss you guys around. Wouldn't it be great if there is big gathering with everyone attending?? We can hope and pray. Will write to you about the ban guan kueh recipe.

Honey Bee Sweets said...

Shirley, I couldn't stop laughing after reading your comment, lol! Yeah I guess we can't "loose out" especially it's our National Day today.

Hearty Bakes said...

Lovely Singapore theme cupcakes!

Good food, great company! Look forward to join you ladies next time yah ;)

busygran said...

Happy National Day to you! It is great of you to make the cupcakes to commemorate the day!
:) :) Glad you had a marvellous time with your fellow bloggers.

Passionate About Baking said...

Hi Bee Bee,
Yes, I totally agree that your ban guan kueh is very nice. The skin is not thick, the ban kueh is very nicely cooked and very sweet. I've always find that soon kueh nowadays is getting smaller and more expensive. Even though I like to eat, I just refused to buy them. You know what is regretful? You didn't make enough for us to bring home! Hahaha... I took the one last piece (quietly). And had it this morning. Still taste good. Guess what? I eat it plain, like what you suggested. I love it! :)
Thanks very much friend!

Small Small Baker said...

I really have fun reading the posts by everyone who have meet up at the bloggers gathering. Can't imagine if I'm really there.

Edith said...

It is nice to have you Bee Bee. Lucky me, I managed to have a piece of your Ban guan kueh. It was yummy. Unlike the one I tried years back, the skin was thick and hard.

Next gathering, we will arrange a day just for ourself. hehehe

Pei-Lin said...

Bee Bee,

I got to see you again finally since February!!! How funny that was, I missed you when you were in KL. Ended up seeing you in Singapore instead. Hahaha!

Saw your reply to Reese. Perhaps, a bigger Malaysian-Singaporean food bloggers' gathering!!?? That'd be a convention by then! Haha!

I love your ban guan kuih. How do you write that in Chinese? Just curious. I loved the skin and filling. Beats store-bought ones, anytime!

Thanks to Sonia lor ... Or else, I'd be stuck with the question of what to bring down from KL to Singapore, since we share so much in common. LOL! Klang bak kut teh works! Say, we miss Sonia leh!!

Haha! Your cupcakes look so patriotic and gorgeous! Easier to decorate than Malaysian flag gua? Haha! Yea, later we'll do something for the Merdeka Day, too ... See see first ...

Take care, Bee Bee! I'll miss you all so much! How I wish I can join you guys more frequently on the days to come. I can do it once a year, I think. Too bad, I'm far away ... =( ... Unless, you guys come to KL lor ...

Kitchen Corner said...

Hey Bee,
You went off so early that day! How I wish you could stay longer. Till now, I still hardly forget about the taste of kuih you've made. Can I have some again when we meet up again next time? I really like it very much! :)

Honey Bee Sweets said...

Hi Gert! Yeah, like I was telling Reese, it'll be super if you guys can be here too. It will be an "explosive" of fun and food! Miss you guys! Sure sure, let's hope we can arrange something to group everyone together.

Thanks Jessie! Hope to have you too next time, cheers!

Honey Bee Sweets said...

Hi Gert! Yeah, like I was telling Reese, it'll be super if you guys can be here too. It will be an "explosive" of fun and food! Miss you guys! Sure sure, let's hope we can arrange something to group everyone together.

Thanks Jessie! Hope to have you too next time, cheers!

Honey Bee Sweets said...

Thanks busygran! Making the cupcakes was fun, so it serves both purposes I guess. ;)

Hey small small baker! Don't think too much about it, just do it! I feel that sometimes if one puts too much though or worries into something, one might just end up missing it afterall. :P So why worry before it actually happens?? Hope next time we will have you around too for this gathering.

Honey Bee Sweets said...

Okay Jane, noted! Will make it again if we meet up in the near future.... And double the amount too! So glad that you all like it so much. ;) Yeah, nowadays everything is expensive! So I guess homemade is still the best. ;)

Edith, it should be all of us to thank you for opening your lovely house to us! It wouldn't be so nice & as comfortable if we were stuck at some eatery place, and we can't bring food to share too!! So thank you instead! Will write to you regarding the recipe yah.

Honey Bee Sweets said...

Pei-Lin! You are really an amazing gal! Efficient, organized, great cook and of course a sweet personality! (floating already??) I wonder who will be your lucky guy next time. ;) thanks again for making this whole thing possible! Pai seh, we all Singaporean need a young Malaysian blogger to gather us, lol! Yeah! Malaysia flag is definitely more difficult to decorate..... but should be easier then US flag no?? Heehee, hope you will come up with something too for your Medeka day. If you & meet again, let's hope it will be ambush longer duration so we can chat our hearts out! Take care gal!

Honey Bee Sweets said...

Sure sure Grace, you let me know when it's a good time for us to meet, I will make this ban guan kueh again for you. ;) at the mean time, take care of yourself okay?

Bakericious said...

Oh Bee Bee, so nice of you wanna spare the cupcake to me. Actually my working place is not far from your place, thou I am staying east but I work in west :P. But my colleague will think I am crazy if I get them to send me to pick up a cupcake so this time I will give it a miss. Next time if is nearby wekend, I can go collect on Sat when I am going my mum place which is near to your place. Oh since when I am getting so thick skin heeheehee...
Btw I wan the ban guan kueh recipe too, email me too ok. Thanks ya.

Honey Bee Sweets said...

Heehee, no larr, no thick skin Jess. This just shows how much you like my cooking. ( now see who is thick skinned!!) lol! Your mum and work place is near my place?? Can come my place and "yan cha". Sure, just let me know ahead, else weekend I am usually out for my girls extra lessons or at my in laws/ mum place. Will let you know about the recipe later.

Bakertan said...

Hi Bee Bee,

Nice to meet you at the blogger's party. But was quite a pity you left early.

I really enjoyed your mang guang kueh. I usually have my soon kuehs with lots of sweet sauce and chili sauce but I had yours without any of these and it still tasted really good! Nice soft chewy skin even when eaten cold.

Hope we'll have a meetup soon again.

Cheers and happy baking and blogging =]

zhuoyuan

WendyinKK said...

Awww.....
When will I be able to meet you leh.

I'm sure there'll be a chance.

Anonymous said...

Hello bee bee!

How cute! What a great way to honour Singapore! haha :)

I like your soon kueh!

Honey Bee Sweets said...

Hi Zhouyuan! Well I guess the honor is all mine! Meeting a rare male food blogger is hard to come by. And I am glad you came to the party! So nice to meet you in person and you are not at all what I would expect, very nice personality like all the rest said. Hopefully we get to chat more in the next meeting and it won't be too long. Take care and see you around online at the meantime. Yeah, happy blogging & baking!

Hi Wendy,
Somehow you cane along right after the 1st Malaysia food blogger party ended. That was the one I attended. But you got to meet my buddy Reese, she did tell me about you. ;) yeah, I am pretty sure the opportunity will come for us to meet.

Hi Yan Ee,
You remind me of a few of the young good bloggers I met in the previous gathering. Full of energy and vibe! Hope you excel not only in your studies but also in your culinary skills as well. Hope we will cross path again, take good care!

Jo said...

Hi Bee Bee, yes it was a shame that you had to leave early. The gathering was a blast and I thoroughly enjoyed meeting up with you and the rest. I really liked your ban guan kueh, better than any I have eaten outside.

Angie's Recipes said...

What a party! I have read a couple of the blog posts about your gals' gathering...fun fun fun!

Honey Bee Sweets said...

Thanks so much Jo! I too had so much fun, duty calls and I had to go. Hopefully next time we can chat more if we meet up again. Take care!

Hi Angie,
Would it be wishful thinking to have you join us next time?? Lol! Well, I guess I really appreciate these events to bring the food blogger closer together.

Aimei said...

Hi Bee Bee! Nice meeting you that day. Your ban guan kueh is so nice. Nicer then stall bought. ;) Hope to meet you again cos didn't get to chat with you much since you left early. :)

Honey Bee Sweets said...

Halo A-mei! You know your blog is one of the few that got me motivated to start one on my own? So I have you to thank too. ;) So glad to meet you in person, so pretty and petite, so opposite me, lol! Hope to see you again and perhaps get to talk more next time. Btw, hope your wedding plans go smoothly, warmest wishes!