Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Steam Pumpkin Huat Koh & Banana Walnut Cake

Do you find it hard to buy a nice outfit? I do, most of the time...it can take me several shopping sessions to find one nice dinner dress. Call me picky, but that's me. But nowadays I have even BIGGER "items" that need me to purchase! So you can imagine the amount of time and energy involved. For the past month, my better half and I have been hunting for a car & house. We've seen so many and when we finally settle on the car, I kind of have the feeling that we settled for less. :-P And as for the roof over our head....it's another BIG headache. And since I do not want it to be a regret, I want to seriously think through and thoroughly consider the choices we have. But with the ever rising prices now for property , we are really at a disadvantage. :-( I guess we just have to suck it up and go with what we can settle with. But to think that we will be investing vast amount of our saving into it and also living there for many years to come made us think thrice into which one we should go for. So far, we've seen quite a number of resale houses, and are slowly narrowing it down to a couple units. Hopefully soon enough, we can decide and have a place we can call our home soon. There's no place like home isn't it? Wish me luck...I need so much of it now!!

Today I am posting up 2 of the bakes I did in the past week, one of it is Steamed Pumpkin Huat Koh. Huat Koh is a common steam cake that Chinese use for praying. I remember that when I was young, my mum would whip up this cake in a short matter of time and soon enough I will be chowing down some of this deliciously sweet, steamy & soft cake. ;) It's generally has a slight egg taste to it, and the usual version will be "鸡蛋糕“. The version I attempted is using pumpkin and also containing coconut milk.
I got this recipe from Yochana's blog. She actually have several Huat Koh recipes, but I like the golden color of the pumpkin, so decided to go with it. I doubled her recipe since I wanted to share with more people. Below is for easy reference in future:

Ingredients for Steamed Pumpkin Huat Koh (makes 16 of 4 oz cups):
200g golden pumpkin, steamed and mashed
400g plain flour
225g caster sugar (reduced from original)
3 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
200ml thick coconut milk
2 eggs
60ml corn oil
Method:
  • While the steamed and mashed pumpkin is still warm, mix in the sugar so that most of it is melted.
  • Then add flour, salt, baking powder into the pumpkin mixture and stir well, it will be lumpy.
  • In another bowl, beat the 2 eggs and stir in the coconut milk. Then add this mixture into the flour mixture and combine well till everything comes together.
  • Get ready the steamer with water simmering at medium high fire.
  • Pour the batter (75% full) into small paperline cupcake moulds and steam for 15 minutes.
  • Use a tooth pick to test and remove to cool on rack before serving.
Although the taste of pumpkin is not that evident, it still has a nice fragrant scent from the coconut milk. It is indeed quite a delectable treat to have with a cup of hot tea or coffee in the afternoon. The family enjoyed it and furthermore it was pretty easy to whip up.
Next bake was upon request by my MIL. She likes banana cake, and has asked me a couple of times about baking it. MY FIL has even brought back a big bunch from the temple the other day...so I grabbed the opportunity yesterday and baked up a batch. Turned out the cake was moist and yummy...but not too much banana flavor though...should have added more bananas!!Ingredients for Banana Walnut Cake/Muffins:
2 large / 3 medium ripe bananas, mashed
3 eggs 90g caster sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
150g unsalted butter, room temp

150g plain flour

1/2 tsp baking powder

60g walnut, crushed and leave some whole for deco (optional)

1/3 cup chocolate chips (optional)


Method:
  • Beat the butter and sugar till fluffy and creamy. Then add egg 1 at a time and mix in till all blended in. Repeat till all eggs are added.
  • Add vanilla and mashed bananas and stir well.
  • Sift in the flour, baking powder and salt and mix till just combined.
  • If using walnuts or chocolate chips, stir in till just mixed.
  • Preheat oven to 180°C. Grease and line with parchment paper a loaf tin (I used 6" mini loaf tin) and/or line a muffin tray with paper cups.
  • Pour the batter into the prepared tins and place some of the whole walnuts or chocolate chips on top for decoration.
  • Bake for 20 to 25 minutes or till tester comes out clean.
I have made both chocolate chip and walnut version to please both palalets. My little ones love the chocolate chip version, and so I divide the batter to mix in the chocolates.
The loaf version was moist and soft, and not too sweet. By the end of the day, most of the cake was gone....that's should means it's good. ;) Another note is I did toast the walnuts for 10 minutes at 180°C to bring out the flavor and crunch.

Actually besides this recipe, I am preparing to bake a couple more recipes with banana before that big bunch goes to waste. :) Furthermore, banana seems to be a well liked and versatile fruit to be in any bake goods. ;) So stay tune for the following posts. ;) Gonna sign off now, have a great day all!

14 comments:

Quinn said...

Nice new blog header picture there Honey Bee Sweets!

*Quinn took out a pouch and open it and grab a 'good luck' out for HBS, grab another one, and another one and another one and she gave the whole bag to HBS!!!

Mmmmm....Love anything with banana in it. Did you sniff the banana muffins when it's just fresh out of the oven? The aroma....irresistible!!!

Kitchen Corner said...

Hi Bee,
Hope you will get want you want soon and find yourself feel much more settle down at this place. Beside, perhaps baking could make you feel lots better! Nice bake!

ann low said...

I love the pumpkin Huat Koh because its really "Huat" like 笑口开. I'm sure your MIL were very happy when she saw this ;)
The banana cake looks good too. My hubby likes this cake, so thanks for the reminding.

Honey Bee Sweets said...

Hi Quinn,
Thanks...just a simple shot taken from my in-law's backyard. ;)
Hahaha...you made my day Quinn! You sure have a great way of getting 'good lucks'! Thanks. ;)

Hey Grace,
Thanks so much for your good wishes! Yes indeed baking does makes me feel good and forget about the housing thing. Guess it does take a baker to understand another one. ;)

Hi Anncoo,
Yes, my MIL and my mom enjoyed the Huat Koh very much. The banana cake is nice, be sure to use really ripe ones to bring out the flavor. Hope your husband will enjoy it.

ReeseKitchen said...

Hey Bee Bee,
Love theHuat Koh...will make this for my MIL during CNY...:)Thanks for sharing!
The banana cake..yummy! Cheryl will love this..:)Showed her your pictures here, and she started requesting, and said "how nice if aunty Bee Bee still staying here"..;p

ReeseKitchen said...

Opps! Forgot about the wishes, but I know you'll get one that you like very much soon..:) Grace & me will always pray for you,....keep us update ya!!

Honey Bee Sweets said...

Hi Reese!
Thanks so much for your good wishes. I know you and Grace will always be there with your moral supports. *hugs* Tell Cheryl Auntie BB will try to make something nice for her in March. ;)

Aimei said...

The huat koh looks good. Looks soft and fluffy. Your new banner header looks so cute! :)

Honey Bee Sweets said...

Thanks so much Aimei! ;) The huat koh is indeed very nice, do try.

Unknown said...

the Huat Koh looks really good! i haven't seen or tasted any of these sweet delights! im so australian :P...my knowledge of cakes is limited to pandan cakes here lol. i got to try those recipes soon!

about searching for your home i wish you good luck with it! my better half and me have settled down in our own home for about a year now. but we need a new car now :(...and everything is going up its so ridiculous!

since i moved in i have been cooking heaps!! :D

Honey Bee Sweets said...

Hi Ann,
Actually, we just decided on a condo yesterday and paid the deposit! I am very excited about it and can't wait to move in. I will be able to bake anything I want then, yippee! Thanks for your good wishes Ann, hope you have a great weekend. ;)

Anonymous said...

Hi, Honey Bee, Was looking for steamed banana walnut cake recipe.
Yr pumkin huat koh looks interesting. Will try it when i hv the time. Since u love to cook, perhaps u can try to log in Thermomixmy.blogspot.com to hv a look what it offers. Thanks n hope u find yr dream house.

Honey Bee Sweets said...

Thanks Anonymous...I already found my dream house.

My Little Space said...

Good morning, Bee! Whoa, your steamed kuih & cake will sure make my blue Monday turning to Red ones. haha...
Have a great week ahead.
Blessings
Kristy