Friday, April 3, 2009

Scallion (green onion) pancake

I guess I need a break from the sweets...cupcakes, fondant, rich chocolate cake and chocolate layer bread! I'm already seeing stars with all that sugar rush, haha! So today I decided to make something savory, crispy scallion pancakes! I have been wanting to try out this recipe, especially since my elder daughter likes scallions(a little unusual but I guess it's better then unhealthy food). I happen to have this recipe from my cookbook and immediately got to work. The ingredients are way simple, I'm sure you have it right there in your kitchen too. ;)

Ingredients for crispy scallion(green onion) pancake:
300g all purpose flour

150ml club soda / plain carbonated water
45ml to 50ml ice cold water

1/4 tsp salt
1 small bunch of scallions, cut small
Some ground black pepper
Some salt for taste


  • In a large mixing bowl, add flour and salt. Make a well in the center and add the carbonated water and mix well.
  • Add ice water into the mixture and knead together to form soft dough.
  • Place on working table and knead for 10 minutes still it's smooth and not sticky.
  • Place in oiled bowl and cover to rest for 30 minutes.
  • Divide the dough into 8 equal portions. Roll out one dough piece, scatter some chopped scallions, pinch of salt and some ground black pepper.
  • Roll up the dough into a long thin log, as shown below in picture A:
  • Then roll the log into a swiss roll form like in picture B below. Roll it flat again into a flat pancake form.
  • Heat about 1/4 cup of frying oil in the pan and add the pancake in in medium heat.
  • Fry till it's crispy golden brown, about 2 minutes each side. Serve when still hot.
A close look at this Chinese pancake...all crunchy and yummy, really can eat a few in one go! BTW, my two little girlies love them, they practically ate them for dinner! They were dipping it in the sweet and sour pork sauce I made for dinner and they kept saying "Chinese pizza!" , hahaha!
But be sure to consume it fast and as it will become a little chewy...like most of these dough pancakes end up to be. Anyway, try it out, cook some curry to go with it and you'll have a delicious dinner! ;) Cheers!

4 comments:

Kitchen Corner said...

This one looks very appetizing ler..!!! :P

Honey Bee Sweets said...

Heehee, it is not bad, do try. :)

Elyse said...

I love scallions! They add such great flavor to everything. And I just adore the idea of putting them in this pancake. Everything looks so delicious!

Anonymous said...

have to try it! Looks delicious and simple! Interesting idea..:) Greetings from Estonia! :)