Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Peanut Butter Bread

Before I know it, the bread tin was empty again. Didn't I just baked some milk buns? Anyway, what better excuse for me to bake some more yummy bread?! This time I chose to bake Peanut Butter Bread from 孟老师的100道面包 (again). Well, because 孟老师' 's bread recipes always turns out well, so naturally that book is still currently my top choice for bread recipes. And yes, peanut butter, I love peanut butter! I remember when I was pregnant with my 2ng child, I down a 28oz jar organic peanut butter every month! I eat it with apple, crackers, bananas and of course on bread. ;) So it's not surprising my 2ng child loves peanut butter too! Anyway, this will be my first attempt in making peanut butter bread, pretty excited about it. ;)
Ingredients for Peanut Butter Bread:
Set A:
220g Bread flour
3g / 3/4 tsp instant active yeast
135ml water
Set B:
30g Bread flour
30g caster sugar
1/4 tsp salt
20ml water
Set C:
70g creamy peanut butter
Topping for bread:
30g egg white
30g confectioner's sugar
20g ground almond (I used ground roasted peanut)

Method:
  • Mix all ingredients of Set A together in a large bowl. Knead till form a dough for about 2 minutes and place in a oil bowl to proof for 90 minutes.
  • Mix all ingredients of Set B together with the proofed dough and knead till everything is incorporated.
  • Continue to knead the dough till it is not sticky and add the butter. Continue to knead. To test if dough is ready, stretch a small piece using the finger tips of both your hands. If you can pull the dough to almost see through texture without breaking it, it's probably done.
  • Add Set C, the peanut butter and knead together till everything is well blend.
  • Place the dough into a greased bowl and let proof for 1hr.
  • Punch out the air and divide the dough into 2 equal portions. Roll each dough into a log and sealing one end of both logs, plait the 2 dough logs together.
  • Place the plaited loaf into a greased baking tray / tin to proof for 30 minutes.
  • Preheat the oven to 180°C.
  • In the meantime, make the topping. Mix all the topping ingredients together and brush generously over the proofed loaf.
  • Bake the loaf in the oven for 22 minutes. If top brown too fast, cover with foil and continue to bake.
  • Immediately remove from tin / baking tray after done and let cool before slicing.
It has a strong peanut butter fragrance in the taste and the sweet and slight crunch top is such a compliment to the bread. Spreading it with some jam and you already have your PB&J sandwich, cool! But guess what I spread on my slice this morning, more peanut butter, haha! Enjoy!

4 comments:

Kitchen Corner said...

I totally agree with you. That recipe book is great! I like this recipe too especially I'm the peanut butter lover. You've got very nice bread there! Good job!

Honey Bee Sweets said...

You know Grace, my friends here has been asking me to make your coffee buns! Looks like I have to hold off 孟老师's book and work on your recipe the next time! Any advice? Thanks. ;)

Elyse said...

Oh my gosh, this PB bread sounds totally delicious. I love how soft the bread seems to be, yet how crunchy it is on top. How perfect! Oh, and my mom downed hot fudge when she was pregnant with my sister, but my sister ended up hating chocolate for a number of years!! Luckily, my sister's tastes have changed :)

Honey Bee Sweets said...

Hi Elyse,
Haha, I know. Sometimes it turns out it was the mommy having the craving, not the baby. But glad that your sister has eased in to chocolate fudge, it's a must have for me when having a sundae! Have a good weekend!