Thursday, October 16, 2008

Birthday of my Blog and my 2nd Daughter

Hi Blogger and readers out there! I am so excited about starting my own blog page. I've read so many food blogs that got me so motivated. Personally I'm a foodie myself, what can I say, food is almost always on my mind (besides my family of course), haha. ;)

Today is my 2nd daughter's birthday, I made her an "A" shaped cake yesterday, along with some cupcakes. Why A, not B or C? Well, my daughter's name starts with A. :) As you can see, it's chocolate, she loves everything chocolate (just like me). Brought it to her playschool and everyone enjoyed it very much. ;) I know, I REALLY have to improve on my photography....I really admire those blogger with such wonderful looking photos! Some of those looks like you can eat out of those pictures!

For this cake, I made a chocolate sponge cake in a square pan mold and cut it out using an alphabet template. It's quite easy actually, you just have to get your measurements right.

I tried to keep the sponge cake moist, considering that I need to leave it in the fridge overnight, I added fresh orange juice over it (just a small amount over the top surface to moisten it. (Have to mention it's actually my hubby's idea!) It not only adds moisture, it now has orange flavoring in it. ;) This sponge cake is moist and yet firm enough to withstand all
that handling (cutting out the shape) The key is in the beating and folding of the batter. Those bakers out there, if you are interested, here is the recipe.

Chocolate Sponge Cake with chocolate frosting
Sponge cake:
6 eggs (room temperature)
150g sugar (I used vanilla sugar)

130g cake flour

40g unsweetened cocoa powder

100g melted butter


Chocolate frosting:
4 fl oz / 112ml whipping cream

4 oz / 113g bittersweet chocolate ( I used Lindt 70% cocoa)

2 tsp instant coffee
2 tsp cocoa powder
2 tbsp confectioner's sugar

3 ripe bananas sliced and frizzle with some lemon juice ( I used orange juice)

Chocolate coating:
5 fl oz / 140ml whipping cream
4 oz / 113g bittersweet chocolate
2 tbsp confectioner's sugar
1 tbsp butter (melted and cooled)

For Sponge Cake:
  1. Sift cake flour and cocoa powder and set aside. Grease an 21cm by 21cm square cake mold. Line with parchment, grease again and dust with cake flour, remove extra flour.Preheat oven to 180°C.
  2. Using an electric mixer, whisk the eggs and sugar on HIGH speed for 5 to 7mins until batter forms a ribbon.
  3. Sift 1/3 of flour mixture into egg mixture, gently fold in, making sure not deflating the bubbles. Repeat in another 2 times until all flour is blended in.
  4. Mix the melted butter with some of the batter to lighten it. Then add the butter mixture into cake batter, fold gently till incorporated.
  5. Pour batter into cake mold and bake for 20 to 25mins, or until tester comes out clean.
For Frosting between the cake:
  • Place whipping cream in microwave for 30 secs on HIGH till almost bubbling, pour into chopped chocolate and stir to mix well. Add instant coffee,sugar, cocoa powder, blend in. Let cool, place in refrigerator if too runny.
For chocolate coating:
  • Place whipping cream in microwave for 30 secs on HIGH till almost bubbling, pour into chopped chocolate and stir to mix well.
Buttercream for decorations:
  • Mix 100g butter at room temperature with 100g of confectioner's sugar.
  • Add desired coloring, a couple drops will do it. Mix well till get an even color.
Assemble the cake:
  1. Cut the cake into 2 layers. Flip the top layer of the cake, meaning cut side up, place on top of 2nd layer. Place template over cake and cut out only the 3 triangles, labeled 1, 2 and 3 in the picture. Remove the top layer and set aside for now.
  2. Spread frosting evenly on the bottom layer of cake. Placed sliced bananas over frosting. Top with the 1st layer of cake. Drizzle some fresh orange juice over the 1st layer of cake. Since it's cut side, it absorbs easily. Place in refrigerator for at least an hour to allow frosting to harden a little.
  3. Take cake out and cut out the remaining hexagon below labeled 4 and place it over the top to form the "A" shape.
  4. Frost the cake with the chocolate coating and place back in fridge for 30 mins to set the coat.
  5. Remove cake from fridge and pipe butter cream on cake as decoration as desired.
Sorry guys, would try my best to show a step by step photo next time for such a recipe. Did not take any pictures during the process because I was running out of time. :-P Hope those interested can follow my recipe above. ;) Anyway, enjoy and have fun baking it! (I know I did)


No comments: