Thursday, December 3, 2015

Lo Bak, Braised Pork with tofu and egg (卤肉饭)

I do have to apologise for disappearing for the past month. Besides being away on vacation, I have been busy with my elder kid's PSLE result and secondary school selection *sigh* Time is flying pass so damn fast, it's freaking me out!

I did not disappear entirely but I am still very active on my Instagram @Honeybeesweets and FB  @Honeybeesweets Kitchen platform. Do hop over to check it out if you realise I am not posting up here as often and wondered if I am still alive haha.

In order not to neglect this lovechild of mine, I finally decided to put up a short post which I did too on both my IG and FB. That is my Braised Pork with tofu and egg recipe. I might have posted this before but this time I went with a healthier twist. I used pork tenderloin verses pork belly! I know I know, many of you cooking experts out there will be frowning at the change. But guess what, I totally enjoyed it, had seconds and all these minus the fats. How's that?

Recipe for  Braised Pork with tofu and egg (serves 3-4 pax)

250-300g pork tenderloin
2 eggs
8 shallots, peeled and sliced thin
3-4 slices of ginger
3 cloves garlic, minced
2-3 dried shiitake mushrooms, soaked
1 cinnamon stick
1-2 star anise 
1 block of firm tofu, cut into smaller cubes

Marinate
1 tsp quality 5 spice powder (my favourite is Pok Oy brand from Penang!)
1 tsp Soy sauce
1/2 tsp ground pepper
1/2 sesame oil
1 tbsp corn flour

Seasoning
1 tbsp Chinese cooking wine (绍兴酒)
2 tbsp dark soy sauce
1 tbsp light soy sauce
2-3 tbsp caster or brown sugar
200-300 ml Chicken stock or water

1) Boil the eggs in boiling water for 6 minutes. Remove when time and let cool before peeling.
2) Slice the pork into small bite size. Marinate pork with all the marinating ingredients and let sit for 10-15 minutes.
3) In another pan, add 3 tbsp of cooking oil. Fry the sliced shallots till golden brown. Dish out on paper towels to drain. (Do not over brown them or they will taste bitter )
4) Using the same cooking oil in the pan over medium Low fire , add in garlic, ginger slices, cinnamon stick and star anise. Stir and cook till fragrant. 
5) Next add in the marinated pork meat and stir well to cook. Add in the reserved mushroom water to prevent drying up. Then add in the chicken stock / water in.
6) Next add in all the seasoning ingredients. Follow by the reserved fried shallots. Stir well.
7) Peel the hard boiled eggs and add them in the pot along with the cubed tofu. Give it a stir and let it simmer for 20-25 minutes. 
8) The liquid will slowly reduce to a thick gravy. Serve with steam rice or noodles. Enjoy!


If you are interested to see a video on how I cook this dish. Do hop on over to my Facebook page HoneyBeeSweets Kitchen to check it out.

Thank you for reading guys! Post again soon


1 comment:

Angie's Recipes said...

This reminds me of my mom's braised pork..so delicious and moreish!