Thursday, June 27, 2013

Nonya Curry Chicken (Kari Kapitan) for MFF featuring Penang

Yikes! Unbelievable...June is almost over! How did that happen? I guess good times always swing by faster. :P Okay, I guess enough talking and lets get the post up so I might possibly have more time later for another recipe. :)

I have decided to make Spicy Nonya Chicken curry (aka Kari Kapitan) this time, as it's been awhile since I last had good curry. Plus when I saw it at Phong Hong's post, I was pretty sure I had to cook it, haha! Without a doubt, it was awesome, taste, aroma and flavor...burst full of yumminess in every bite. :P
Ever since I started making my own curry paste, there was no looking back. Seriously taste so much better then those packet ones. Much more punch and flavorful plus the gravy is thicker too! Love! Even with the gravy itself, I can devour a bowl of rice on its own, haha! 

I followed Phong Hong's recipe (which I believe was originated from Amy Beh) pretty closely but less of the belachan granulates / paste. I was worried the taste will be too strong, haha! Thanks Phong Hong for again another fabulous dish! Noms! Will post the recipe here for easier reference:

Ingredients for Nonya Curry Chicken (Kari Kapitan) (serves 2-3ppl)
3 chicken legs, chopped into smaller chunks
2 russet potatoes, peeled and cut into big chunks
1 key lime (I didn't have kaffir lime)
Salt and sugar to taste
200ml coconut milk
2 or 3 hard boiled eggs, peeled

Curry Paste
4 tbsp of chili paste (see here for the brand I use)
15 shallots, peeled
5 garlic gloves
3 stalks of lemongrass heart
1 inch fresh tumeric (careful don't get stained!)
5 candle nuts (buah keras)
1 tsp belachan paste

  • To make the paste, place all the ingredients in a blender and zap it till it is smooth and creamy. You can either add a bit of water or coconut milk if it is too dry to blend.
  • In a pot, heat up 2 tsp of cooking oil at medium low heat. Add in curry paste and cook it till it is aromatic. Be careful don't let it burn. 
  • Add in the chicken pieces and stir to coat all the meat with the paste well. Once the meat becomes opaque, add in the potatoes and stir well.
  • Cook for another minute and add in the coconut milk. Once the mixture boils, lower the fire to simmer for another 8-10 minutes till chicken is cooked through and the potato is fork tender.
  • Add in the lime juice, seasoning and hard boiled eggs the last, stir gently and serve while still hot with steam rice.Yummy!
OMG, need I say more? This is really very tasty curry guys, you have to try it yourself! Go crazy!

I am happy to submit this to this month's Malaysian Food Fest Penang Month hosted by Alan of Travellingfoodies.

okay folks, gotta go and cook lunch now!
Have a good one!

7 comments:

PH said...

Your Kari Kapitan has better colour than mine! I bet it was very delicious too and thanks for the mention :)

My Little Space said...

Wish that this nyonya curry is on my dining table tonight. hehe...
Slurppp....
Enjoy your day & say bye-bye to the haze.
Kristy

Nilu A said...

Tempting and flavorful curry.. Loved it.. Bookmarked this recipe.. I'm a new blogger... Do visit my blog.. http://kitchenserenity.blogspot.in/

Mich Piece of Cake said...

Your curry chicken with eggs is making my mouth water! Wish I could have this with lots of rice.

lena said...

halo bee! i just looked at my dashboard and saw you hv another 2 more posts following this! Suddenly so rajin!! LOL! thumbs up for your curry!

Unknown said...

the chili paste is use what brand?

Unknown said...

the chili paste is use what brand ???